Los Angeles Lakers Breakdown: Massacre Reveals LA's Ugliest Flaws

The Los Angeles Lakers’ 102-87 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers was an embarrassing defeat that revealed all of LA’s major flaws, many of them, the same flaws that doomed their quest to win a championship in 2007-2008.

• The Lakers interior rotations were soft or non-existent. It appeared as if Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum were scared of Shaquille O’Neal’s and LeBron James’ boulder-crushing strength.
  • That Bynum was lost and confused on defense—offering no resistance on off-ball screens, late in his help assignments, gambling and missing entry passes—is simply par for the course for the mistake-prone youngster. However, Gasol played defense like a timid rookie, a characteristic not seen since the Lakers’ humbling Finals defeat to the Celtics two postseasons ago.
  • Bynum (2-5 FG, 4 PTS and Gasol 4-11 FG, 11 PTS) were visibly bothered by the Cavs’ size and length up front. Without the overall length advantage the Lakers normally have, Bynum and Gasol were pushed around under the hoop, and Gasol couldn’t find the range on his jumper.
  • Kobe Bryant forced a number of shots and passes and couldn’t find easy baskets against Cleveland’s collapsing defense. Worse, Kobe let his frustrations get the best of him by complaining to the referees on every call that didn’t go his way.
  • The Lakers spent more time complaining to the refs than rotating on defense.
  • Derek Fisher—3-8FG, 1-4 3FG, 0 AST, 3 TO, 7 PTS—looked ready for the glue factory.
  • The Lakers got nothing from their bench. Lamar Odom was invisible for too many stretches, Shannon Brown was lit up on defense, Jordan Farmar forced two shots and couldn’t keep up with Mo Williams and Delonte West, and both of Sasha Vujacic’s field goals came deep in garbage time.
  • If Lamar Odom isn’t playing well, the Lakers simply don’t have enough firepower from their second unit to beat elite teams. Farmar hasn’t taken the next step in his development, and Vujacic wets the bed. The Lakers needs production from their second unit that nobody is giving.
  • The Lakers spent too much time playing one-on-one basketball, and didn’t trust the offense to generate open looks.
  • The Lakers’ scrambling defense was picked apart by Cleveland’s snappy passwork, well-timed cuts attacking the middle of the paint, and skip passes across the paint. The Cavs never stopped passing, but the Lakers often stopped playing defense.
  • The Lakers were also beaten backdoor far too frequently with little backside help.
  • Ron Artest did an effective job against LeBron James‘ on the ball, but couldn’t keep up with James off of weak-side curls. To make matters worse, the Lakers’ bigs made only cursory efforts to show on James after the cuts.
  • Derek Fisher was posted and toasted by Mo Williams on three occasions.
  • The Lakers, used to bullying opponents with their extreme size and length, looked scared to face an opponent that could stand toe-to-toe with them up front. Cleveland’s massive frontline of Shaq, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Anderson Varejao, and LeBron played extremely well, particularly on the defensive end.
  • The only Laker who played with any sort of zest was Artest who wrestled for every loose ball (on one occasion going toe-to-toe for an offensive rebound with James and leaving his highness on the floor), operated the triangle as if he’d been playing in the system for years, attacked mismatches by posting in transition, and playing commendable defense. Too bad he missed three free throws and was guilty of loafing down the court in transition at least once.
  • The Lakers collectively lost their cool way too easily.
  • What was the best thing to take away for the Lakers? They couldn’t possibly play any worse.

In many regards, the game was the first real challenge the Lakers have faced all season. With an extremely generous home schedule, the Lakers have coasted to the top spot of the NBA standings, but before the Cavs game, they hadn’t faced the Cavs, Celtics, Magic, or Spurs this year, and lost to the Nuggets and Mavs by double digits. Needless to say, their first test against one of the Eastern Conference behemoths was a resounding failure.

On the other side, being tested so few times early means that the Lakers will have plenty of opportunities to right the ship as the season continues. However, don’t simply count the Lakers as the best team in basketball because of their record.

If they prove over the next few months that Pau Gasol will play more like the 2009 version than the 2008 version, Andrew Bynum will show up against the better offenses, Kobe won’t jack up bad shots when the going gets tough, Lamar Odom will play consistently well, the Lakers bench provides something (anything), and Derek Fisher reverses the aging process, then the Lakers are the favorite to win a second straight title.

But if not, and the Lakers play more like their 2008 selves than their 2009 versions, then any talented, physical, mentally strong team will be prime to dethrone the Lakers and proclaim a new king.

• Like 1

• Owner
If they prove over the next few months that Pau Gasol will play more like the 2009 version than the 2008 version, Andrew Bynum will show up against the better offenses, Kobe won’t jack up bad shots when the going gets tough, Lamar Odom will play consistently well, the Lakers bench provides something (anything), and Derek Fisher reverses the aging process, then the Lakers are the favorite to win a second straight title.

It was only one game, and we're 23-5. The Boston Celtics lost to the Sixers the other night, and I can write just as many flaws as you can about the Lakers based on that one game, but that doesn't mean they aren't the favorites to win the East.

The only thing wrong in Los Angeles is our starting point guard, and Bynum's confidence once Gasol returned. Fisher plays no defense and he's a no-show on offense throughout most of the game, while Bynum doesn't know how to box out, chases every point guard to the rim (thanks to Fisher, also) and leaves bigs open for easy buckets because he's looking at the ball more than he is his own man.

I don't care about a Christmas loss. I only hope that Kobe stays healthy for the entire season, that's the main thing for us. Without a healthy Bryant, we are dead in the water.

Good analysis, you covered pretty much everything. We are still the favorite to win the whole thing, one game wont change that. Our bench definitly needs to start contributing, and it wouldnt hurt if Phil played Shannon Brown more over the likes of Sasha. But as you said, we couldnt have played any worse. I'm looking forward to January 21st.

Edited by Confidence

• Owner

After seeing the way our bench has been playing, though...I guess I can add that to my small list of problems. We actually need Walton back, as crazy as that sounds. He doesn't defend very well, doesn't score a lot, but he can play in the post and pass the ball, two things we desperately need from Odom, yet we aren't getting.

After seeing the way our bench has been playing, though...I guess I can add that to my small list of problems. We actually need Walton back, as crazy as that sounds. He doesn't defend very well, doesn't score a lot, but he can play in the post and pass the ball, two things we desperately need from Odom, yet we aren't getting.

Walton isn't as bad as most fans make him out to be. He was actually solid off the bench last postseason, and early on this season before he got injured.

Since LO decided to go MIA, and the rest of the bench doesn't understand the concept of "ball movement," (no pun), I welcome Luke back with open arms to run the second unit offense and stabilize the bench.

Edited by Willie Green

It was only one game, and we're 23-5. The Boston Celtics lost to the Sixers the other night, and I can write just as many flaws as you can about the Lakers based on that one game, but that doesn't mean they aren't the favorites to win the East.

The only thing wrong in Los Angeles is our starting point guard, and Bynum's confidence once Gasol returned. Fisher plays no defense and he's a no-show on offense throughout most of the game, while Bynum doesn't know how to box out, chases every point guard to the rim (thanks to Fisher, also) and leaves bigs open for easy buckets because he's looking at the ball more than he is his own man.

I don't care about a Christmas loss. I only hope that Kobe stays healthy for the entire season, that's the main thing for us. Without a healthy Bryant, we are dead in the water.

Just like the Lakers aren't the favorites to win the West. They were before Christmas, on Christmas, and despite the loss, are the favorites after Christmas. But aside from a bunch of wins over mediocre teams, the Lakers don't have much a resume right now aside from wins over the Suns and Hawks.

The team played scared up front. I haven't seen Gasol play that poorly since the Celtics series. No surprise the common element of the two teams is a strong two-deep frontcourt. Without the Lakers length advantage they looked ordinary. That isn't something that will be a major deal (how many teams have two seven footers to match up with LA?) most of the time, but you bet it will be important to see how the Lakers combat Boston's and Cleveland's frontcourts when they play again.

Fisher used to be a very good post defender. Getting posted by Mo Williams is a major problem, and so is the lack of a backup behind him. Bynum's always been poor against complicated offenses and he was a disaster. These are things the Lakers still need to correct. They have plenty of time to. This isn't the end of the world. But if those flaws aren't corrected, it will be the end of their chances to repeat.

Good analysis, you covered pretty much everything. We are still the favorite to win the whole thing, one game wont change that. Our bench definitly needs to start contributing, and it wouldnt hurt if Phil played Shannon Brown more over the likes of Sasha. But as you said, we couldnt have played any worse. I'm looking forward to January 21st.

I'm surprised they don't play Farmar at the two. LA has no conventional backup two-guard behind Kobe, but it's clear that Vujacic isn't the answer, and the Lakers don't have the assets to trade because nobody wants Vujacic or Luke Walton's contracts, and the only players with value are crucial to the Lakers' success.

And he's not a horrendous defender against strong opponents. He did reasonably well against Carmelo last year, and will be a plus when he returns this year. And Odom needs to pick it up. He's been poor all season.

I'm surprised they don't play Farmar at the two. LA has no conventional backup two-guard behind Kobe, but it's clear that Vujacic isn't the answer, and the Lakers don't have the assets to trade because nobody wants Vujacic or Luke Walton's contracts, and the only players with value are crucial to the Lakers' success.

They have Morrison and Farmar's expirings, which is 7 million total. That can net them something if they want.

They have Morrison and Farmar's expirings, which is 7 million total. That can net them something if they want.

That means that they've given up on Farmar as PG of the future. Also, they'd only be able to get another expiring contract back for Farmar since the Lakers don't want to take on extra salary. What player could the Lakers get that's cheaper than Farmar, has an expiring, and fills a need?

Morrison is a better candidate, but the Lakers would again only want to take back an expiring contract.

Here's a good article on Lakers trade scenarios.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/309782-so-you-want-to-see-the-lakers-make-a-trade-dont-hold-your-breath

Nothing says the Lakers are only looking for an expiring contract. If the bench continues their horrible play when Walton returns, there will be no more excuses, and I fully expect them to explore their trade options. Jerry will spend whatever it takes to put a winner on the floor, and if the right trade comes along, I highly doubt they will reject it if the bench continues their piss poor play and continues to cost us games.

And as for Farmar, he is not the future PG of the Lakers, never has been never will be. If the right deal comes along, he'll be sent packing. The management doesn't think highly of him either. They didn't pick up his option and haven't worked out any extensions. He certainly doesn't fit well with this team because all he does is chuck up shots and play matador defense.

We need help at the guard position. We need another guard who can play. Farmar and Sasha both suck. Shannon is good when he plays within his limits, even then, he's not somebody who can create his own shots nor facilitate the offense. Fish is somebody I like when the game is winding down, but completely unreliable the other 90% of the time due to age and decline in skills.

Yes, there are issues that need to be addressed if we want to repeat. The most alarming is our bench play. Lamar usually turns it up in the second half of the season, so we'll see what happens there. Having a focused Lamar Odom would do wonders for our bench alone, yet his mind has been wandering all season so far. There are areas of concern on this roster, we definitely are not perfect. But either way, one regular season game does not determine everything. The Cavs obviously wanted the game more, and they got it. Whereas Phil was still tinkering and experimenting with his lineups (as evident when Sasha was like the 1st guard off the bench). I know that come postseason, we should have our act together, and that's all that matters. We have issues that I'm sure the management and coaching staff are aware of, and will look to address.

Nothing says the Lakers are only looking for an expiring contract. If the bench continues their horrible play when Walton returns, there will be no more excuses, and I fully expect them to explore their trade options. Jerry will spend whatever it takes to put a winner on the floor, and if the right trade comes along, I highly doubt they will reject it if the bench continues their piss poor play and continues to cost us games.

And as for Farmar, he is not the future PG of the Lakers, never has been never will be. If the right deal comes along, he'll be sent packing. The management doesn't think highly of him either. They didn't pick up his option and haven't worked out any extensions. He certainly doesn't fit well with this team because all he does is chuck up shots and play matador defense.

We need help at the guard position. We need another guard who can play. Farmar and Sasha both suck. Shannon is good when he plays within his limits, even then, he's not somebody who can create his own shots nor facilitate the offense. Fish is somebody I like when the game is winding down, but completely unreliable the other 90% of the time due to age and decline in skills.

Yes, there are issues that need to be addressed if we want to repeat. The most alarming is our bench play. Lamar usually turns it up in the second half of the season, so we'll see what happens there. Having a focused Lamar Odom would do wonders for our bench alone, yet his mind has been wandering all season so far. There are areas of concern on this roster, we definitely are not perfect. But either way, one regular season game does not determine everything. The Cavs obviously wanted the game more, and they got it. Whereas Phil was still tinkering and experimenting with his lineups (as evident when Sasha was like the 1st guard off the bench). I know that come postseason, we should have our act together, and that's all that matters. We have issues that I'm sure the management and coaching staff are aware of, and will look to address.

I don't remember where I saw it but Kupchak doesn't want to add salary beyond this season. LA's going to be way over the cap this year and will pay a ton in luxury taxes. They can't go much higher than what they have now.

I don't remember where I saw it but Kupchak doesn't want to add salary beyond this season. LA's going to be way over the cap this year and will pay a ton in luxury taxes. They can't go much higher than what they have now.

Yeah, Mitch did say he wants to be more thrifty with finances.

But if the team continues to struggle, he'll have no choice but to make a move. Luxury tax really isn't a big deal for Jerry, he'll pay whatever it takes to win. If the bench continues to struggle with everyone back healthy, I definitely see changes being made. We have almost 15 million in expirings at the end of the year, I'm sure they won't have an issue using up some of that money to make us a stronger team, if need be.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Owner

Just a quick bump. Our wins against .500 teams:

Atlanta Hawks

Oklahoma City Thunder (3x)

Houston Rockets (2x)

Memphis Grizzlies

New Orleans Hornets (2x)

Phoenix Suns (2x)

Miami Heat

Utah Jazz

Dallas Mavericks (2x)

Orlando Magic

16 of our 32 wins are against teams over .500, which isn't bad at all, given the fact that Gasol has missed 17 of the 42 games we've played, Artest has missed five, and Kobe is playing with a mangled hand and back spasms.

Even better, we are in first place in FG% allowed, first in 3PT% allowed, ninth in forced turnovers, second in rebounds, and eighth in steals. Our defense is ranked second in the league, points per 100 possessions allowed.

On the other hand, our offense is tenth in the league, down from third over the last two seasons, and it has a lot to do with Kobe and Gasol not being able to stay healthy. Most every loss is either because of Kobe's mangled hand (him shooting poorly) or Gasol being out of the game due to the two hamstring injuries (both legs).

At the end of the day, if the Lakers are healthy, they are the best team in the NBA, and to be honest, I'm not sure if it's something I'd find myself debating about.

Just a quick bump. Our wins against .500 teams:

Atlanta Hawks

Oklahoma City Thunder (3x)

Houston Rockets (2x)

Memphis Grizzlies

New Orleans Hornets (2x)

Phoenix Suns (2x)

Miami Heat

Utah Jazz

Dallas Mavericks (2x)

Orlando Magic

16 of our 32 wins are against teams over .500, which isn't bad at all, given the fact that Gasol has missed 17 of the 42 games we've played, Artest has missed five, and Kobe is playing with a mangled hand and back spasms.

Even better, we are in first place in FG% allowed, first in 3PT% allowed, ninth in forced turnovers, second in rebounds, and eighth in steals. Our defense is ranked second in the league, points per 100 possessions allowed.

On the other hand, our offense is tenth in the league, down from third over the last two seasons, and it has a lot to do with Kobe and Gasol not being able to stay healthy. Most every loss is either because of Kobe's mangled hand (him shooting poorly) or Gasol being out of the game due to the two hamstring injuries (both legs).

At the end of the day, if the Lakers are healthy, they are the best team in the NBA, and to be honest, I'm not sure if it's something I'd find myself debating about.

I just don't think those wins are powerhouse wins. Most of them are against lower tiered Western playoff teams, which are nice, but none of those teams will face the Lakers in a conference finals. I'm only impressed with the Dallas wins really. They also knocked off the Hawks early (who aren't a title contender), and the Magic. Neither of those two are probably as strong as a healthy Boston and definitely Cleveland.

The Lakers' numbers are good, and they aren't playing that bad, but I'm still waiting for that win that says to the rest of the league, "Yeah, that's right, you still got to go through us if you want a title." Some wins over Boston, the Spurs, and Denver would be very convincing.

• Owner

The Spurs? So beating the Hawks and Magic isn't good enough, but a win over the Spurs (who you just finished pounding on) is? Houston just knocked the Spurs out in San Antonio tonight, so what does that mean for the Rockets?

The Spurs? So beating the Hawks and Magic isn't good enough, but a win over the Spurs (who you just finished pounding on) is? Houston just knocked the Spurs out in San Antonio tonight, so what does that mean for the Rockets?

They're still a championship-caliber team when their threes fall. My main beef is that Duncan isn't automatic dominance so the Spurs' shooting has to be on. When it's not, they're ordinary. If the Spurs are shooting all right, I'd like to see how they match up against the Lakers WITH Gasol. They blasted the Lakers without him.

I saw a bit of the Rockets game. They sure can beat any team that doesn't bring maximum energy, as much of the Western Conference has found out.

• Owner

Alright, so Kobe's injured and, really, in the same boat as Duncan, just different circumstances. Neither are at the top of their game right now.

Why would the Lakers have to prove themselves, yet the Spurs don't have to (as long as their shots are falling)?

The same can be said for Boston. We've seen them hit three consecutive losses already, something the Lakers haven't done in a couple of years or longer. What makes Boston a proven team? Can we just ignore the fact that Garnett has been hobbled all season long?

Alright, so Kobe's injured and, really, in the same boat as Duncan, just different circumstances. Neither are at the top of their game right now.

Why would the Lakers have to prove themselves, yet the Spurs don't have to (as long as their shots are falling)?

The same can be said for Boston. We've seen them hit three consecutive losses already, something the Lakers haven't done in a couple of years or longer. What makes Boston a proven team? Can we just ignore the fact that Garnett has been hobbled all season long?

The Spurs do still have to prove themselves. They have to prove that they can generate open looks, and they have to prove they can defend talented power forwards. A Lakers-Spurs game is critical for both sides.

As for Boston, they've looked good against the good teams. Their defense has been stellar in big games, Rondo's been amazing, and Pierce looks as strong as ever. They don't miss too much defensively with Wallace in place of KG, and Boston never ran their offense through Garnett.

Nice job on the LA weaknesses, thorough and accurate list. I agree that the Lakers don't have a quality win yet. They'll need to regroup and get that win vs. Boston. Still not an issue to get out of the west though, it's down this year. Denver can't win road. Dallas doesn't match up well with LA and San Antonio is looking extra crispy.

As for trades, Buss is willing to spend slightly more to contend. No reason to have this high a payroll and then still not be sold you can win a championship. Having an owner that wants rings is a big help. The Times always runs a story pre-deadline about LA is not expected to deal because of money. They've run it every year for the last four yet Kupchak has made several deals during those years. Gives LA cover. Times and Lakers are cozy, access in exchange for agenda in print. LA wants it out there they are doing nothing and the Times obliges.

Farmar is not the PG of the future and they are very willing to deal him. If they wanted him long term they would have picked up his option last summer. Farmar and Morrison are on the table for whatever they can get. Farmar, Morrision, Vujacic for Hinrich and Johnson is something LA hopes they can pull. Chicago won't unless they have no other offers, but that does reduce the Bulls cap for this summer enough for them to pursue Wade or Bosh. Obviously Chicago would prefer no Sasha in the deal, but LA won't make it without him in the trade to cover the payroll hit of taking on Hinrich's K. So the game of chicken ensues.

Bynum for the right impact player is another possibility, albeit more remote. Bosh would be up to Bosh demanding out. Harris won't happen, Nets won't deal him unless they know they're getting Wall in the lottery. I expect the Lakers to shop for a 1 and toughness. After the dual losses to Cleveland they know they can't win it all as is. Buss wants to win. Adding a little more salary is possible, adding a lot is not. So a Hinrich deal with Sasha yes, without Sasha in it no. That's where the money comes into play.

Nice job on the LA weaknesses, thorough and accurate list. I agree that the Lakers don't have a quality win yet. They'll need to regroup and get that win vs. Boston. Still not an issue to get out of the west though, it's down this year. Denver can't win road. Dallas doesn't match up well with LA and San Antonio is looking extra crispy.

As for trades, Buss is willing to spend slightly more to contend. No reason to have this high a payroll and then still not be sold you can win a championship. Having an owner that wants rings is a big help. The Times always runs a story pre-deadline about LA is not expected to deal because of money. They've run it every year for the last four yet Kupchak has made several deals during those years. Gives LA cover. Times and Lakers are cozy, access in exchange for agenda in print. LA wants it out there they are doing nothing and the Times obliges.

Farmar is not the PG of the future and they are very willing to deal him. If they wanted him long term they would have picked up his option last summer. Farmar and Morrison are on the table for whatever they can get. Farmar, Morrision, Vujacic for Hinrich and Johnson is something LA hopes they can pull. Chicago won't unless they have no other offers, but that does reduce the Bulls cap for this summer enough for them to pursue Wade or Bosh. Obviously Chicago would prefer no Sasha in the deal, but LA won't make it without him in the trade to cover the payroll hit of taking on Hinrich's K. So the game of chicken ensues.

Bynum for the right impact player is another possibility, albeit more remote. Bosh would be up to Bosh demanding out. Harris won't happen, Nets won't deal him unless they know they're getting Wall in the lottery. I expect the Lakers to shop for a 1 and toughness. After the dual losses to Cleveland they know they can't win it all as is. Buss wants to win. Adding a little more salary is possible, adding a lot is not. So a Hinrich deal with Sasha yes, without Sasha in it no. That's where the money comes into play.

In fairness, last year's deal was more of a salary move than anything. I don't know if they thought Shannan Brown would be as good as he's proven to be. Some teams would want Farmar, but he's a risk because he'll be a free agent. There's demand for Morrison's expiring, but I don't think there's any demand out there for Vujacic.

They can use a tough big man who could shoot, an upgrade over Powell. They also could use a backup two guard. I wonder if they try to pry Kurt Thomas from the Bucks. He seems like a decent fit. Hinrich is too, but would the Bulls deal him for Farmar and Morrison? They can get more talent than that, and as a playoff team, I doubt they do too many radical things. They're not in a bad place salary-wise for next season. If they're going to shake it up, I bet it involves their expirings, or they get more back than Farmar and Morrison's expiring. They definitely don't want Vujacic.

Farmar has trade value as a last year contract. Few if any teams would want him long term.

There's no demand for Vujacic except in a trade where the partner reduces their payroll and creates more cap room in the net of the deal. A Hinrich deal including Vujacic does that. The Bulls save over 4M, which is money they have to create to shop for Wade and Bosh. That's the critical point you're missing here. Chicago has to cut at least 4M and preferably more if they are to have any chance at the impact fa's they want to pursue. They can do it by unloading Salmons, Thomas and Hinrich but who will offer what they want for them? If LA offered just Farmar and Morrison Chicago would take that in a heartbeat, last years for 9M. LA won't because their payroll in 2010-11 goes up 9M without unloading Vujacic. So they insist on Sasha in the deal. Chicago still saves the 4M they need, LA takes Hinrich off the Bulls cap. Bulls only do that trade if they literally have no other offers for Hinrich. At the moment they don't have one. He makes too much. You've ignored that entirely and are exclusively focused on his floor value. Chicago is very unlikely get an offer of just last years for Hinrich because no team in this climate is willing to add 9M to their payroll next year. And becuase of Captain Kirk's high salary getting talent in a deal is also unlikely.

I'm not banking on a trade to go down on LA's terms but if they make a Hinrich deal that's what it would be. Chicago could say no but if they get no other deals to knock 4M off their cap they may not have a choice. This deadline it's follow the money Erick not the floor value.

Kurt Thomas is a good call but it's tough to match up the money. They wouldn't use Morrison to get him. If Thomas is bought out LA would pursue him otherwise no. I think Josh Boone may be a more viable target since he only makes 2M.

Edited by Sky