Washington Wizards Trade Rumors

JWaLL

Gilbert Arenas is back in the news and likely bound for a suspension from the NBA after the Wizards confirmed on Christmas Eve that their star guard is being investigated for storing multiple guns in his locker in violation of league rules pertaining to gun possession.

The Wizards, though, don't appear to be treating this as any sort of last straw. And trading Arenas would be incredibly difficult for the Wiz even if the $111 million man was having a spotless season because of the four years remaining on his mammoth contract and his history of knee troubles. It's a misnomer, according to one source close to the situation, to say that Washington has been shopping Arenas beyond some exploratory talks with Houston about an Arenas-for-Tracy McGrady swap that would naturally appeal to the Wiz because of McGrady's huge expiring contract but was never going to tempt the Rockets.

The two Wizards who continue to draw the most interest from rival teams are forwards Caron Butler (who will have an array of Western Conference suitors when Washington decides that it's finally ready to break up its core) and Antawn Jamison (who is fiercely loyal but quite frustrated, as I hear it, by the ongoing disarray with the Wiz).

Jamison has been on the Cavaliers' radar for some time, as the ever-reliable Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reminded us in his column last weekend, but it's believed that Cleveland would only do a Zydrunas Ilgauskas-for-Jamison deal if it knew that the Wizards were prepared to release Ilgauskas after consummating the trade. Big Z could then re-sign with the Cavs after a 30-day wait, as seen last season, when Antonio McDyess was dealt from Detroit to Denver in the Allen Iverson deal and later rejoined the Pistons.

Yet I'm told that the Wizards (A) would insist on at least one more asset because they are not prepared to part with Butler or Jamison merely for cap relief and (B) would do everything they could to avoid sending Jamison to Cleveland because of the tension that has built up in recent years between those teams.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-091126-27/weekend-dime-first-trimester-awards

^^ Look on the right side of that link.

No trade in this article appears to be realistic. If the Rockets were dumb enough to go through with the McGrady for Gilbert swap, his expiring contract would help us immensely. The only question is, why would the Rockets ever accept that trade? :lol:

I don't see Jamison ever going to Cleveland. I'll just leave it at that.

If NYK fails in the 2010 sweepstakes, im sure they might go after Arenas lol(mainly for sales, but i doubt he's anything like he was 2 years ago, so that's prolly botched.). But otherwise, i see nothing happening. Best thing is prolly a buyout, but arenas isnt stupid, he wont throw away 100 mill for like 50 mill especially since he knows he's declining.

Arenas-T-Mac would never happen lol, Houston fans would hold their GM hostage xD

Man, thinking about it, its amazing what an injury can do, sucks for the wizards.

Am I the only one who has noticed an increase in Gil's level of play? He's been playing great, it's the rest of the team who hasn't supported him other than Jamison and Caron.

He has definitely been playing great lately. He's finally taking advantage of his ability to drive and get fouled on almost every trip to the hoop.

However, even with a healthy core, we haven't ever been a contending team. Our front office has this "wait and see" notion about waiting for our core to finally be healthy together, which they are, because they feel we can go deep into the playoffs with them. They haven't been providing anywhere near to our expectations, and I think it is finally time for us to make some moves and rebuild our team. Rebuilding always starts with parting ways with at least one of our best players. A blockbuster trade is needed.

We're not going to get a blockbuster trade, the best we will get is an expiring contract or a few young pieces to build around.

I don't know if it was on OTR or a different forum, but I did want to see Caron get traded if he went to Golden State. I would love to see us get Anthony Randolph, who we can develop greatly alongside Haywood. I love Caron, but if anyone was traded, it would be him.

We can also trade Jamison to Utah, who would then not have to worry about seeing Boozer leave and having Deron run the show. Jamison would give them that post presence until he retires, while Boozer gives us an expiring contract.

Those are the ONLY trades that make sense if you ask me.

I don't get why everyone thinks Arenas is playing any worse than he does any other season. He is just taking less shots this year.

That Knicks proposition by Celtics in the earlier post is an interesting one, I can see the Knicks being interested in someone like Gil if they don't walk away with anyone special in 2010.

Edited by travesy3

Am I the only one who has noticed an increase in Gil's level of play? He's been playing great, it's the rest of the team who hasn't supported him other than Jamison and Caron.

i noticed it too, i hope the wiz can really pick it up, its been kinda brutal watching them lose :(

• Owner

Gilbert's last two games have contained seven turnovers each. He shot 5-14 against the Bucks Wednesday, 6-21 against the Suns two games before that. He was 10-28 against the Wolves last night, with the seven turnovers I mentioned, and also a poor 1-7 from downtown.

I guess I don't see where he's playing better.

I don't think LeBron would turn down the talent he has around him right now anyway.

If Wizards trade anyone that would strengthen the Cavs, I would officially boycott watching any of their games in the future.

If Arenas can't be a great PG, why not push him to the 2? I know it's going to be bad defensively, but if they play small ball then it might just be able to cover for the defensive loss. Promote Boykins to starting PG or make a trade using the 3-4 swingmen they have on the bench for a PG. One deal I have in mind is Caron Butler to Portland for Andre Miller (I think the salaries don't match but the folks in the Front Office would figure them out if they really want the deal to happen). Portland get a starting SF that might just be their weakest spot (Butler's definitely an upgrade over Webster), Wizards get the floor general they want. Everyone's happy. At the moment, one passer out of 5 is not enough, not to mention the passer is throwing shots as well.

If Flip is anywhere the same as he was in the T'Wolves era, he would not have any trick up his sleeves. It is either work or don't work for him. Nothing in between and at the moment, the plan he created for the Wizards ain't working.

Looks like we may be waiting a few weeks before a trade happens:

Investigations into an alleged dispute between Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton involving guns has put any trade talks involving the Wizards on hold.

David Aldridge of NBA.com wrote that "The new investigation also has put any notion of trade talks between Washington, which is resigned to performing radical surgery on its roster and is now willing to trade anyone -- including Arenas, Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison -- and other teams on hold indefinitely."

A league source told Aldridge on Thursday that the Wizards would make a play for the expiring contract of Tracy McGrady.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/63771/20100102/investigation_puts_wizards_trade_talks_on_hold/

Although, one rumored trade was Caron + Mike James for Kirk Hinrich and Jerome James. I feel like we'd be getting the raw end of that deal and I'd want at least a draft pick thrown in there.