Raps interested in Kevin Martin

Doc

Anything for more offense, I guess :lol:

I'd imagine that Calderon would be involved which would mean, believe it or not, Bryan Colangelo would be making a trade that would quite possibly improve the Raptors defese. :o

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I'm just throwing a couple of trade scenario out there. I'm not saying that these are something that I think they would do or anything like that, but just throwing them out there to see what you guys think about it:

Scenario 1

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yl9locz

Jose Calderon

for

Kevin Martin

Now I admit to not watching the Kings much this season but I would imagine that the Kings would want to acquire a point guard as they are playing Beno Udrih 30 minutes a game. Nothing against Udrih but he is not good enough to play 30 minutes a game at the NBA level. I think that he would be a very good backup point guard but I don't like him as a starter. He has had a good season so far, but I wouldn't trust him being my main point guard heading forward.

Jose Calderon is a poor defender but Udrih is nothing special either in that regard. Offensively, Calderon's shooting ability would help space the floor for Evans to attack the paint, and it would also open things up down low for players like Spencer Hawes and Jason Thompson. He is an above average playmaker and would give the Kings another solid ball handler in the starting lineup to compliment Evans, who turns the ball over 3 times a game and a reliable ball handler and free throw shooter in pressure situations. Offensively, Calderon is a good player, a better player than Udrih and both are terrible defenders.

The Kings would dump Martin who they really have no use for with the emergance of Evans for a solid, efficient point guard, and in the process don't take anymore salary back in the deal as Calderon is making less money over the next 4 years than Martin would.

For Toronto's perspective, they get a bonafide 2nd option to pair with Chris Bosh. Martin doesn't bring much outside of scoring to the floor, but his lack of defense wouldn't make much of a difference with the Raptors sending Jose Calderon the other way. He would give the Raptors another perimeter scorer who can take the pressure off of Bosh. They have Bargnani and Turkoglu who can both score the rock, but neither of them have the pure scoring ability of Kevin Martin. This would upgrade the Raptors talent level and potentially put them over the top and move them into that 5th seed in the East, and maybe, just maybe, could go a long way into convincing Bosh to resign by giving him a legitimate 2nd option for the next 4 years.

Scenario 2

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yzbbpfp

Jose Calderon

Antoine Wright

for

Kevin Martin

Same as above, but in case the Kings want more they get a veteran, above average shooting guard to come off of the bench for them. Even if they don't use him, they get his $1.8M expiring deal.

Scenario 3

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ykpyfxc

Jose Calderon

Marco Belinelli

for

Kevin Martin

If they don't want Wright, they could ask for Belinelli who is signed through next season, but is a better player than Wright and it younger. If I were the Raptors, I would probably ask for a 2nd rounder in return or possibly an expiring contract though.

Scenario 4

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ykq33e7

Jose Calderon

Rasho Nesterovic

for

Kevin Martin

Same idea as the Wright trade but they get an expierenced veteran big man off of the bench, and a $1.9M expiring contract off of the books at the end of the year. He could be a great mentor for Spencer Hawes.

I wouldn't want to see the Raptors do this trade as I think that as the season goes along Rasho is going to play a role for the team, especially in the playoffs and it would create a complete log jam at the 2/3 spot with Martin, Turkoglu, DeRozan, Wright, Belinelli and Weems all looking for minutes at this position. This one doesn't make much sense for Toronto, but I figured I would throw it out there anyways.

The most realistic deal that I see would have to be the Calderon + Wright for Martin trade as the Kings would get a serviceable bench 2/3 who comes off the books at the end of the year.

Anyways, just thought I would throw those scenarios out there. The only way that I would take Martin on is if Calderon were to be involved in the deal. If the Kings don't want Calderon I don't see anything happening.

I actually don't see anything happening regardless, but I figured I would play around a bit and dream, lol.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I'd just like to add one thing.

There is absolutely no way that the Raptors would be able to beat an offer for Martin if Houston is actually interested in acquiring him. Houston would be able to trade McGrady's expiring deal to them, along with one of Lowry or Brooks (I'd assume Lowry) and they could take a contract like Nocioni or Garcia back if the Kings are looking to dump one of their bad contracts.

I don't think that the Raptors would be able to beat an offer of Zydrunas Ilgauskas from the Cavs either.

So unless the Kings GM is incredibly high on Calderon or Bargnani or something, I don't realistically see the Raptors being able to land Martin in a deal, assuming that Houston and the Cavs, Houston in particular, are actually interested in acquiring Martin as well.

Ehh, we aren't losing much in this deal since I think Jose is very expendable. I just don't know how I feel about a chucker like Martin on our team. This would mean Demar would go to the bench and would see next to no floor time. Unless of course they run Demar-Martin in the back court and give Hedo the full reigns once in a while.

I would just go for it since at least Martin is worth his contract.

I'd imagine that Calderon would be involved which would mean, believe it or not, Bryan Colangelo would be making a trade that would quite possibly improve the Raptors defese. :o

Defensively, a starting backcourt of Jack and DeRozan sounds better than Jack and Martin. Plus, if Martin was to be acquired, chances are DeRozan would blend in with all the other wing options and wind up becoming forgotten on the bench.

Personally, I'd rather see the Raptors deal Calderon and Bargnani for a good big than a good wing shooter/scorer. DeRozan needs to be developed, and this team has enough perimeter scorers, anyway.

The wings aren't the problem, IMO. They need a defensive minded point guard that can shoot treys and doesn't dominate the ball too much to allow guys like Turk and Belinelli to do their thing - a guy like Steve Blake would be perfect (an expiring, btw) - and they need a long and strong center that specializes in bringing energy, shot blocking, and all around hustle that would rub off on the other players - Birdman, Joel Anthony, Joakim Noah, Tyson Chandler, etc, etc.

They could always pull an Orlando and go Jack-Martin-Demar-Turk-Bosh lol. Interesting trade, if you guys don't like Jose THAT much, i'd say go for it.

Edit: Also, i forgot to mention you guys could always use Martin in a Terry/Ginobili-esq role off the bench. 20 PPG off the bench never hurt anyone(at least i dont think lol.)

Edited by Celtics3420

The sixth man role sounds more reasonable. If that were to happen, then Belinelli should be included in the trade and the Raptors should go for a little extra value.

I still think the Raptors should try and push for other options, but adding Martin off the bench wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Edited by Poe

Defensively, a starting backcourt of Jack and DeRozan sounds better than Jack and Martin. Plus, if Martin was to be acquired, chances are DeRozan would blend in with all the other wing options and wind up becoming forgotten on the bench.

Personally, I'd rather see the Raptors deal Calderon and Bargnani for a good big than a good wing shooter/scorer. DeRozan needs to be developed, and this team has enough perimeter scorers, anyway.

The wings aren't the problem, IMO. They need a defensive minded point guard that can shoot treys and doesn't dominate the ball too much to allow guys like Turk and Belinelli to do their thing - a guy like Steve Blake would be perfect (an expiring, btw) - and they need a long and strong center that specializes in bringing energy, shot blocking, and all around hustle that would rub off on the other players - Birdman, Joel Anthony, Joakim Noah, Tyson Chandler, etc, etc.

I think they have found a nice chem with Turk now handling it. I don't think Beli really needs to be a play maker, we rely for him to hit those open jumpers which he is finally doing.

also, we do have that, its Evans. Only problem is, he hasnt played yet lol.I didnt think his injury would be this bad. But Johnson seems to be filling that role quiet well.

I'm just wondering, how many people actually clicked on the link and read more than what was posted in the first post? I just happened to do that and found this:

The latest speculation, however, surrounds injured shooting guard Kevin Martin. Any notion the Kings are looking to move Martin is off-base, as they are anticipating his early January return and eager to see what they believe could be one of the league's most explosive backcourts with his coupling with rookie Tyreke Evans.

Aside from a complete breakdown in team chemistry, a regression because of Martin's presence or a trade offer involving an All-Star caliber player (specifically, a big man), Martin is going nowhere. According to sources, Cleveland, Houston and Toronto are among those teams interested in acquiring the dynamic scorer and are keeping an eye on how the situation unfolds.

The more logical pieces to be moved would be Kenny Thomas (expiring contract of $8.7 million) or Andres Nocioni (contract through 2012 for combined $28.5 million).

I don't doubt for a second that there are numerous teams interested in acquiring Martin, but the real question is, are the Kings actually interested in trading him? :lol: