Payton: Chris Bosh Most Overrated Player In the NBA

Doc

I actually agree with Payton to an extent.

Im not sure if i would consider Bosh one of the most overrated, but definitely one of the most overrated of that caliber. Someone in his position should be able to lead a team and he has really done everything but that. When the Raptors were successful it was not Bosh's leadership that made it happen, it was TJ Fords. And right now the only thing really holding this team back is a true leader.

I actually agree with Payton to an extent.

Im not sure if i would consider Bosh one of the most overrated, but definitely one of the most overrated of that caliber. Someone in his position should be able to lead a team and he has really done everything but that. When the Raptors were successful it was not Bosh's leadership that made it happen, it was TJ Fords. And right now the only thing really holding this team back is a true leader.

Defense and a lack of talent has nothing to do with it right? Its strictly lack of leadership. :rolleyes:

Defense and a lack of talent has nothing to do with it right? Its strictly lack of leadership. :rolleyes:

So what has been the excuse every year before now?

Still the same situation?

No.

Defense is a problem sure, but whatever that can be said about pretty much any team in the NBA.

Lack of talent has not always been a problem.

And i never said it was strictly leadership. I truly believe that the problem is with the front office being ran by retarded apes in wheelchairs, but thats just me.

Paytons assessment of Bosh's lack of leadership was correct though. Someone in his position needs to be more of a consistant leader and people who offer max contracts should expect his ability to lead to be on par with the 20 mill they dish out.

If Bosh is as good as he is claimed to be, he should be able to get the Raps in a position to battle for a decent playoff seed for the past 3 or 4 years, something he hasnt done. Im sorry, but its the east, and if he is this superstar people claim he is, he should be able to do that. Instead, all he does is take jumpshots and plays brutal defense. When he jumps ship after this season, bargs will be moved to the 4, they will somehow get a center, and the raptors will still be screwed, but at least have a proper starting lineup to build on. its terrible being a pessimistic raps fan :P

So what has been the excuse every year before now?

Still the same situation?

No.

Defense is a problem sure, but whatever that can be said about pretty much any team in the NBA.

Lack of talent has not always been a problem.

And i never said it was strictly leadership. I truly believe that the problem is with the front office being ran by retarded apes in wheelchairs, but thats just me.

Paytons assessment of Bosh's lack of leadership was correct though. Someone in his position needs to be more of a consistant leader and people who offer max contracts should expect his ability to lead to be on par with the 20 mill they dish out.

Umm, the Raptors have been a [expletive]ty defensive team for the better part of this decade, so yeah, that "excuse" has always applied. Since Colangelo took over the team they have been a team filled with good shooters who feed off of dribble penetration/double teams inside and weak defensive players. So for the last 3 or 4 years, yeah, the same things have applied because they have basically been the same team with just different players. This season is just an extreme version of all the other years in that they are the same kind of team offensively with just better offensive players, but they are a worse defensive team than normal.

And how exactly can having one of the most inept defensive roster in the last 10-20 years be applied to pretty much any team in the NBA? The Raptors have literally no player on their roster that has played a significant role this season that could be considered more than average defensively, and they have players like Jose Calderon, Andrea Bargnani and Marco Belinelli who are absolute liabilities on the defensive end getting significant playing time. I fail to see how being one of the worst defensive teams in the last 20 years being applicable to basically every team in the NBA.

And how the hell do you figure that a lack of talent has not always been a problem? Since Bosh became the number one guy on this team he has had supporting casts that consist of:

2005-2006

Mike James

Morris Peterson

Charlie Villanueva

Matt Bonner

Jalen Rose was on the team but he was injured for half of the season and a lot of the games that he did play in he played with a cast on his shooting hand, which effected his play. Mike James was the second best player on this team. Think about that, Mike James. Sure, he scored 20 ppg but when Mike James is your second best player you have some serious issues on the team.

2006-2007

TJ Ford

Anthony Parker

Jorge Garbajosa

Andrea Bargnani

Jose Calderon (wasn't the same player he is today then)

Morris Peterson (barley played towards the end of the season for some reason)

Whe TJ Ford is the second best player on your team, you know that you don't have much talent surrounding you. This is nothing against TJ Ford as he was my favourite Raptor player at that time, but it doesn't change the fact that he is a 4th option on a good team at best. Sure, the Raptors managed to win 47 games this season, but it was a combination of playing in an absolutely [expletive]ty Eastern Conference and teams like New Jersey and Washington were hit with injuries, which derailed their season. The Nets were a better team when healthy, and they showed that in the playoffs against Toronto that season.

2007-2008

Anthony Parker

TJ Ford (injured for 31 games)

Jose Calderon

Andrea Bargnani

Carlos Delfino

Jamario Moon

Bargnani had a terrible sophomore season shooting under 38% from the field and was a non factor when he was on the floor. Ford was injured for 31 games after Al Horford nearly decapitated him and wasn't the same player when he returned. Anthony Parker was the second leading scorer on the team. Do you honestly think that a team with Anthony Parker as a second leading scorer is going anywhere? Bosh also missed 15 games this season and, if I recall correctly, the team struggled horribly when Bosh was out because of the fact that they didn't have anybody on the team capable of picking up the slack for him.

2008-2009

Jermaine O'Neal/Shawn Marion

Andrea Bargnani

Jose Calderon

Anthony Parker

Jason Kapono

Joey Graham

O'Neal and Marion had some good games for the Raptors, but in Marion's case, he didn't fit in with the team or have enough time to adjust after being traded. Bargnani had a good season offensively, but we all know how bad he is defensively and when JO was traded Bosh was forced to play center and anchor the defense again. Anthony Parker started to slow down both offensively and defensively and Jason Kapono and Joey Graham straight up suck. Calderon battled injuries all season long, which you could tell was affecting his play and when he missed 14 games the Raptors had Will Solomon and Roko Ukic getting major minutes at point guard. Good god.

This season Bosh has the best supporting cast that he has ever had since taking over from Vince Carter as the go to guy (a role that doesn't suit him by the way, and everybody who watches the Raptors know this) and it still isn't anything special as outside of Bargnani, Turkoglu, Calderon and Jack they are nothing special, and Bargnani, Calderon and Jack are average players respective to their positions. Combine an overall average team talent wise with the fact that the Raptors have had one of the most difficult schedules to start the season (they played 30 games in 52 days which leaves little to no time for practice, and that is magnified by the fact that they were intergrating 9 new players into the mix) and that has resulted in a .500 record.

The problem most is people don't even seem to bother to watch Raptor games, which makes them not develop an opinion of the player theirselves, and instead they just hear one person say something about Bosh and they run with it. Somebody says that Bosh is nothing but a jump shooter and that opinion sticks for good because "experts" (anaylsts like Payton and some fans on message boards) don't even seem to bother to watch the games.

You still hear that Bosh is a soft jump shooter today even though he is leading the league in double doubles, in the top 10 of rebounding (6) and offensive rebounding (9) and gets to the line as much as any big man not named Dwight Howard (he has attempted 9 less free thros than Dwight).

I'm not saying that Bosh is a great leader or anything because he is not. His game and demeanor on the court are both much better suited to be a second option on a great team, but its laughable as far as I am concerned to say that Bosh's leadership is part of the problem with the Raptors when he has had [expletive]ty supporting casts for the majority of his career and nobody, aside from players like Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and maybe Dwight Howard would've experienced any sort of success with the supporting cast that Bosh has had to play with.

Whatever though, I am getting carried away here. If people want to call Bosh the most overrated player in the league, so be it. It just goes to show me who actually watches Raptor games and who just goes off of general opinion. Gary Payton was a great player but he is a god awful analyst anyways.

One thing that I don't understand though, is how is Chris Bosh the most overrated player in the NBA when he is a better player than Amare Stoudemire and people figure that Amare is going to be getting max money, or near max money, in the offseason as well? Makes no sense to me.

I hate posting about this subject though because of how many times I have defended Bosh on the matter and, up until this season, I have never even been a fan of Bosh's, and even now I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan of his, but it is the exact same debate every time, and quite frankly, it grew old during the summer. I wasn't even going to post in this thread, lol. I can't believe I got sucked into another one of these damn threads. :lol:

• Like 1