Jazz close to a deal?

The Regime

Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor suggests that a trade could be imminent.

O'Connor hinted to the Deseret News that he's spoken to multiple teams about trade possibilities and that a deal could go down as early as Tuesday.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/63805/20100104/oconnor_hints_jazz_are_close_to_deal/#

And ideas?

I reckon they are doing a trade where they are gaining more players than losing because isn't it NBA policy to have at least 13 players on a roster? After the Eric Maynor trade Jazz only have 12 players and there have been no sign of them signing anyone.

This was likely some creative journalism on the authors part. The Jazz needed to make a move because they had only 12 players and the CBA requires them to have 13. The move in question was the signing of Sundiyata Gaines.

As for a trade. The Jazz have stated that everyone is available but D-Will. With that said, the Jazz may be trying to trade players like AK and Okur but realistically I don't see them being able to do either. Both have albatrosses for contracts and produce very little in comparison. The Jazz have also stated they will not add salary for next year, so they'd want an expiring contract in return. No NBA team, not run by Isiah Thomas, will trade an expiring contract for either of these huge deals without getting back draft picks or young talent. The Jazz really do not have either. They have the Knicks pick which they aren't going to move unless it nets them something really good, and their pick cannot be traded because if it's 17th or worse it belongs to the Timberwolves.

This leaves really on Boozer, Korver and Brewer as tradible pieces. I have excluded Wes Matthews because his contract is so small that it's just stupid to trade. Any of those guys could fetch the Jazz something in return. In my opinion the most likely players to be moved are Brewer and or Korver packaged with CJ Miles. Jerry Sloan likes Boozer and the Jazz feel they may be able to re-sign him, so unless they get another all-star or lottery pick in return my guess is they wont trade him. The Jazz will trade one or two of their 2/3 guys because they have so many of them. The Jazz like Matthews and he seems to be a mix between Brewer and Miles(can play D and can actually hit a jumpshot) so if they have any interest in keeping him around, it makes those two expendible.

This was likely some creative journalism on the authors part. The Jazz needed to make a move because they had only 12 players and the CBA requires them to have 13. The move in question was the signing of Sundiyata Gaines.

As for a trade. The Jazz have stated that everyone is available but D-Will. With that said, the Jazz may be trying to trade players like AK and Okur but realistically I don't see them being able to do either. Both have albatrosses for contracts and produce very little in comparison. The Jazz have also stated they will not add salary for next year, so they'd want an expiring contract in return. No NBA team, not run by Isiah Thomas, will trade an expiring contract for either of these huge deals without getting back draft picks or young talent. The Jazz really do not have either. They have the Knicks pick which they aren't going to move unless it nets them something really good, and their pick cannot be traded because if it's 17th or worse it belongs to the Timberwolves.

This leaves really on Boozer, Korver and Brewer as tradible pieces. I have excluded Wes Matthews because his contract is so small that it's just stupid to trade. Any of those guys could fetch the Jazz something in return. In my opinion the most likely players to be moved are Brewer and or Korver packaged with CJ Miles. Jerry Sloan likes Boozer and the Jazz feel they may be able to re-sign him, so unless they get another all-star or lottery pick in return my guess is they wont trade him. The Jazz will trade one or two of their 2/3 guys because they have so many of them. The Jazz like Matthews and he seems to be a mix between Brewer and Miles(can play D and can actually hit a jumpshot) so if they have any interest in keeping him around, it makes those two expendible.

My problem is in the long run how is this going to effect the team. Realistically Deron could be playing with a whole new group of guys if the deals are right during the offseason. The possible trade I've been a fan of in recent months is.

Carlos Boozer for Rip Hamilton gives us a consistent two man and someone who is effective just catching the ball and taking that shot off Deron's passes.

I'd actually prefer getting a legit 7 footer down low more then anything maybe package price to sweeten and put gains as our back up pg.

It's obvious at this point Millsap cannot reach his full potential with Boozer on this team. As Boozer continues to play well his trade value will increase which gives us a wider verity of options for trade.

I've also been interested in Corey Magette

No way the Jazz take on Rips contract. I'd like him here too, but his deal is to bad 2 years down the road. If the Jaz do go out and try to add salary I'd expect them to go towards Caron Butler.

The Jazz should also have some cap room next year with Boozer, Korver, and Brewer all coming off the book. So they could try to sign one of the big name free agents.

One other thing is the Jazz could wait until next year to see if a star becomes upset with their situation. The Jazz will have a 17 million dollar contract that is expiring that they could use in a trade to land said player.

See my biggest concern with Boozer staying in Utah for an extended period of time is completely based on Millsap's development. If you look at what he was doing last year around this time to what he's doing this year his productivity has slowed down dramatically. And if Millsap's gonna be our long term Pf I'd rather us continue to develop him instead of worrying about our short term goals with Boozer.

O yes

and Trade Okur he sucks now.

Last year Milsap was the #2 option a lot of the time though, now he's usually #5 on the court. I agree his offense has really suffered, but his defense to me has picked up and he isn't getting the fouls like he was. I like Milsap but I don't think he's anything other than a great 6th man type. He's really too small to be an effective PF in the NBA. Look at when the Jazz play the Lakers, when he comes in the Lakers go to their bigs every time because they are so much taller than Milsap.

Having Milsap as a backup to an all-star big is a perfect fit for him and the Jazz. Though I would not be opposed to moving Okur and having Boozer start at the 5 and Sap at the 4. That's an incredibly small lineup and would require Fesenko or Koufos to actually play a lot but it could work if the Jazz ran a lot more.

Last year Milsap was the #2 option a lot of the time though, now he's usually #5 on the court. I agree his offense has really suffered, but his defense to me has picked up and he isn't getting the fouls like he was. I like Milsap but I don't think he's anything other than a great 6th man type. He's really too small to be an effective PF in the NBA. Look at when the Jazz play the Lakers, when he comes in the Lakers go to their bigs every time because they are so much taller than Milsap.

Having Milsap as a backup to an all-star big is a perfect fit for him and the Jazz. Though I would not be opposed to moving Okur and having Boozer start at the 5 and Sap at the 4. That's an incredibly small lineup and would require Fesenko or Koufos to actually play a lot but it could work if the Jazz ran a lot more.

Thats actually what I've been saying all season. I mean he gave us a good couple of years but lets be honest all Okur is at this stage in his career is a Shooting guard in a big mans body he's a bad re bounder and if hes not streaking it he just misses. And his defense well I wont get started on that. Either way I think that we need to trade either Okur or Boozer to get a sg so we can start sap.

This kind of sums up what Okur has done this season

C: Mehmet Okur, Jazz. It's bad enough that the offensive-minded big man's scoring has dipped more than four points from last season's 17-point average, his field-goal and three-point percentages have tumbled and his turnovers are up. What's worse is that he signed a two-year, $21 million contract extension last summer that kicks in next season. He's scored 20 or more points just once, a 21-point outing in the second game. The Jazz are reportedly looking to unload contracts, but his won't be easy to deal.

Edited by Years