Small Forward Gerald Wallace Doubles as Big Rebounder

NJNJ

Gerald Wallace doesn't see this as unusual. He just sees it as a necessity for the Charlotte Bobcats.

Wallace, 6-7, 215 pounds, is bidding to become the smallest rebounding champion in NBA history, an athletic small forward who has ventured into the land of the giants.

"I knew this season we would need a lot of rebounds,'' Wallace told Fanhouse last week. "So I made this (winning the title) one of my goals. I don't spend 95 percent of my time around the basket like the big guys do -- I'm on the perimeter -- but there's no reason I can't win it. Rebounding still is all about desire.''

Wallace, a nine-year veteran, is having his finest NBA season, determined to help lead the Bobcats (14-18) to their first playoff appearance. They go into tonight's game against Chicago riding consecutive upset victories at Miami and Cleveland.

"It (leading the league in rebounding) is a long-shot but it's possible. I don't know if I can keep close to Dwight Howard the way he's played lately, but we can make the playoffs,'' he said. "You can see how we're playing. We're right there.''

Wallace is averaging 11.9 rebounds -- up from his previous career high last season of 7.8 rpg – along with 17.9 points, 1.7 steals and 41.5 minutes. Among NBA leaders, he is tied for first in minutes played, 12th in steals, 31st in scoring, and third in rebounding.

Only Howard (13.3 rpg) of the Magic, and Joakim Noah (12.3 rpg) of the Bulls -- both centers -- have more. Wallace was leading the league earlier this season, but Howard took a commanding lead with his play in recent weeks.

CONTINUE READING