Philadelphia Phillies 2010

Phightins

Phillies supposedly close on a 2 year contract with Jose Contreras. Not crazy on giving him multiple years, but I guess it was the only way to get him back.

There is supposedly interest in Hisanori Takahashi as well, which I am very excited about if true.

Phillies supposedly close on a 2 year contract with Jose Contreras. Not crazy on giving him multiple years, but I guess it was the only way to get him back.

There is supposedly interest in Hisanori Takahashi as well, which I am very excited about if true.

Jose pitched very well for them last season. His velocity is back up, and he is good insurance for Lidge and Madson.

Jose pitched very well for them last season. His velocity is back up, and he is good insurance for Lidge and Madson.

He is also going to be 41 years old when the contract ends (maybe older, you never know with the Cubans). I dunno, not the kind of guy I'd go multiple years with. Ruben loves giving out questionable 2 year deals. Hopefully this one works out.

He is also going to be 41 years old when the contract ends (maybe older, you never know with the Cubans). I dunno, not the kind of guy I'd go multiple years with. Ruben loves giving out questionable 2 year deals. Hopefully this one works out.

The Raul Ibanez signing has certainly not worked out for the best, but I liked the Polanco deal.

Signed Dan Meyer to a minor league deal. Fully expect him to get a shot at the MLB roster. With as screwed up as the RP market is, the whole "build bullpen from within"/pick guys up off the scrap heap idea doesn't sound so bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Supposedly close to a one year deal with Dennys Reyes. Not a fan. If they were going to take a flier on a LOOGY project, I'd have preferred it to be George Sherrill (who is supposedly going to Atlanta). Reyes strikes me as JC Romero 2.0, with perhaps worse command. Ground ball pitcher, at least. But way way way too many walks for me. Especially for the primary LOOGY, unless they plan on giving that role to Antonio Bastardo.

Supposedly close to a one year deal with Dennys Reyes. Not a fan. If they were going to take a flier on a LOOGY project, I'd have preferred it to be George Sherrill (who is supposedly going to Atlanta). Reyes strikes me as JC Romero 2.0, with perhaps worse command. Ground ball pitcher, at least. But way way way too many walks for me. Especially for the primary LOOGY, unless they plan on giving that role to Antonio Bastardo.

He's unhittable when his slider is working against both sides.

He has poor command of his fastball though...

He's unhittable when his slider is working against both sides.

He has poor command of his fastball though...

His K:BB ratio for the past 5 or 6 years scares me. We are just coming off the JC Romero era, do not need a clone of his.

But, I am OK with Reyes on a cheap 1-year deal considering how whack the RP market is this season. But again, I'd have preferred Sherrill. Similar situation, way more upside.

His K:BB ratio for the past 5 or 6 years scares me. We are just coming off the JC Romero era, do not need a clone of his.

But, I am OK with Reyes on a cheap 1-year deal considering how whack the RP market is this season. But again, I'd have preferred Sherrill. Similar situation, way more upside.

Like I said, Reyes is as good as his slider is that given day.

That is all well and good, but the facts are he walks too many guys and last season he allowed 4 of every 10 left handed batters he faced to get on base. I do not see much reason for optimism, but again, I am only OK with this because of the insane RP market.

Phillies take 3 guys in the Rule 5 Draft. INF Michael Martinez taken from the Nationals in the Major League phase, and OF Chris Frey from the Rockies, and RHP Justin Friend from the Athletics in the minor league phase.

Martinez intrigues me, and I think he will get a legitimate shot to make the team out of spring training. He can play basically every position, is a switch hitter, and can run. The Phillies are still in the market for one last bench infielder, so he makes sense.

Baseball America released their top 10 Phillies prospects today.

1. Domonic Brown

2. Jonathan Singleton

3. Brody Colvin

2. Jarred Cosart

5. Trevor May

6. Sebastian Valle

7. Jiwan James

8. Jesse Biddle

9. Domingo Santana

10. Aaron Altherr

No arguments about the top 8, but I am surprised Santana and Altherr made the list over Justin DeFratus. Two themes with this list. The first is obvious: With the exception of Brown, not one of these guys has played a game above A-Ball. The general consensus is that the Phillies may have more talent in the low-minors than any other organization. I love it. They don't really need anybody to come in and make an impact in the next 3 or 4 years. When the Utley/Howard/Rollins core is washed up, it is nice to know that there's a ton of talent on the way. One of the scouts BBA interviews says he thinks the Phillies are set up for a Braves-like run. I don't want to get too carried away, but that's nice to hear.

Also, the other theme....no Trevor Gillies, Phillippe Aumont, or JC Ramirez. Cliff Lee trade fail.

OK....now that the initial shock is over, here are my thoughts.

This is obviously fantastic. It was only 8 years ago when the Phillies were overpaying for big free agents to come here (Jim Thome, David Bell) to establish credibility. Now, guys are leaving significant cash on the table to come here (Lee, Roy Halladay). It's an amazing thing.

I fully expect the Phillies to unload some salary now. Obviously, everyone is talking about Joe Blanton. He should have some value once Carl Pavano signs. The SP market is rather weak, I am sure somebody will take a chance on him. I wouldn't be shocked if they try to move Raul Ibanez either, although finding a taker for a significant chunk of his remaining contract will be tricky. Long term, the Phillies have a bunch of payroll flexibility (Rollins, Lidge, Ibanez, potentially Oswalt come off the books next winter), but the key will be finding a way to squeeze everyone in for this season.