Rockets could join Bosh chase

Dash

BOISE, Idaho -- Here are the best (and last) dribbles of chatter from the NBA grapevine as collected from various executives, scouts and insiders who gathered to watch 16 teams play two games each in a four-day span at the annual D-League Showcase:

Some 40 days from the league's annual trading deadline, no one in Boise could say with any certainty that the Toronto Raptors are going to be willing to move Chris Bosh ahead of the Feb. 18 trade buzzer.

No one has a firm read on Toronto's intentions yet.

What we did hear, though, is that the Houston Rockets have made it known that they would be willing to trade for Bosh immediately … even if they don't get a guarantee they can re-sign him this summer.

That's the problem with any sort of Bosh deal at midseason. Even if the Raps do decide they want to make Bosh available now and avoid the threat of losing him without compensation in free agency after July 1, there's an overwhelming majority of teams that wouldn't dare consider trading for Bosh in February without some sort of assurance they could keep him.

But Houston is different.

Sources say the ever-aggressive Rockets are sure a half-season in Houston could convince the native Texan to pledge his long-term future to a city players love as well as a team that sits four games over .500 without the injured Yao Ming and the exiled Tracy McGrady. The Rockets also have the requisite stash of young assets, as evidenced by their success this season without marquee names, to assemble a legit deal for Toronto to consider … and without insisting that McGrady's mammoth $22.5 million salary has to be part of it.

I nonetheless was advised this week to expect Houston to make a hard Bosh push during these next 40 days if the Raptors invite it. Or perhaps even if they don't invite it.

Link

I would give up Brooks + Scola/Landry + fillers for Bosh. I thought T-Mac's contract would be our best asset in a trade Bosh (Houston could take on a bad contract) but its interesting that Morey is pursuing a deal without it. That said, I doubt that BC trades Bosh ANYWHERE especially considering their recent streak.

As a Raptors fan I don't consider this deal for a second unless the Rockets are including McGrady's expiring deal AND take Hedo Turkoglu with Bosh.

If the Raptors are trading Bosh they are going to enter into a rebuilding phase and that means that if I were the GM, I would not even consider a trade that doesn't include McGrady's expiring contract. I would also push for the Rockets to have to take on Hedo Turkoglu as well, because his contract is going to be a killer on a team that is looking to rebuild.

Something like this would have to be the base of the trade:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yzq4l7p

To Houston

Chris Bosh

Hedo Turkoglu

To Toronto

Tracy McGrady

Carl Landry/Luis Scola (doesn't matter which one really)

Aaron Brooks

Draft picks

This trade gives the Rockets a star big man and a very good role player in Turkoglu, while the Raptors get the cap relief that they would want, as well as a solid point guard in Aaron Brooks and some late draft picks.

To be perfectly honest though, I wouldn't even consider trading Bosh at this point in time. I wouldn't make any move before the deadline, and even then, I don't think that I would trade Bosh at all. Worst comes to worst, the Raptors trade Bosh in a sign and trade in the offseason. That way Bosh gets the extra year and higher increases on his contract and the Raptors get something of value to compensate for the loss of Bosh.

As a Raptors fan I don't consider this deal for a second unless the Rockets are including McGrady's expiring deal AND take Hedo Turkoglu with Bosh.

That is an automatic 'no' from the Rockets. Houston isn't going to take on ANY bad contract for ANY player (with the exception of Lebron James and co.). This became clear during the Philly negotiations when Morey refused to take on Dalembert or Brand for Iggy. If Houston really wanted Bosh so bad that they would be willing to take on Hedo then they might as well keep T-Mac and sign him in in the offseason.

We are playing well, and I'm also under the impression he can get paid more by staying here or signing here and getting traded. In that case, I don't consider a trade at the deadline one bit.

That is an automatic 'no' from the Rockets. Houston isn't going to take on ANY bad contract for ANY player (with the exception of Lebron James and co.). This became clear during the Philly negotiations when Morey refused to take on Dalembert or Brand for Iggy. If Houston really wanted Bosh so bad that they would be willing to take on Hedo then they might as well keep T-Mac and sign him in in the offseason.

Well then it would be an automatic no from the Raptors as well, if I was in charge. That package is hardly appealing if you ask me. If the Raptors are trading Bosh I'm not doing it unless you get legit young talent in return or if the other team is willing to take on Hedo's contract. Since neither scenario is happening, I see no reason why the Raptors should trade Bosh to Houston. McGrady's expiring deal is nice, but it hardly means anything as it would only put the raptors $10M or so under the cap and they would still have absolutely no options heading forward as their hands would be tied with the contracts of Turkoglu, Calderon and Bargnani.

I doubt he does get traded but if he does, its at the trade deadline. Nothing wrong with opening negotiations prior to it. ;)

Well then it would be an automatic no from the Raptors as well, if I was in charge. That package is hardly appealing if you ask me. If the Raptors are trading Bosh I'm not doing it unless you get legit young talent in return or if the other team is willing to take on Hedo's contract. Since neither scenario is happening, I see no reason why the Raptors should trade Bosh to Houston. McGrady's expiring deal is nice, but it hardly means anything as it would only put the raptors $10M or so under the cap and they would still have absolutely no options heading forward as their hands would be tied with the contracts of Turkoglu, Calderon and Bargnani.

Actually scratch my last post. Morey said did say earlier that he would take on a bad contract if we got a franchise player in return. Iggy and Bosh are too completely different players and Bosh is definitely a franchise type player.

I would push for Calderon instead of Hedo. Although the article does state that Houston is trying for a deal without Tracy, which could mean they are dangling him to another team.

I doubt he does get traded but if he does, its at the trade deadline. Nothing wrong with opening negotiations prior to it. ;)

Actually scratch my last post. Morey said did say earlier that he would take on a bad contract if we got a franchise player in return. Iggy and Bosh are too completely different players and Bosh is definitely a franchise type player.

I would push for Calderon instead of Hedo. Although the article does state that Houston is trying for a deal without Tracy, which could mean they are dangling him to another team.

If worst came to worst, I think that I would possibly consider accepting a trade with Calderon involved, but the Rockets would have to include more in the deal than what I had originally stated. If they threw in another pick or two, I would possibly consider that deal.

If it was me though, I would definitely try and make any possible deal for Bosh include Turkoglu because his contract is the worst one on the team, if they were to go ahead and try and rebuild. I think that Calderon could be shipped off by himself for a team that is looking for a point guard down the stretch as he still has some value despite his relatively poor play this season.

I would try to keep Calderon simply because I see the Raptors having a much greater chance of moving him than Turkoglu, despite the fact that Turk is definitely the better player of the two but if the Rockets sweetened the post a little bit, not sure how exactly, I would consider making a move if Calderon is involved, although I can't say for sure if I would actually pull the trigger or not.

Like I said above though, unless the Raptors get absolutely blown away by an offer, I don't think that Bosh is going anywhere until the summer, and if he does leave it will be via a sign and trade.

I would only move Bosh for a package littered with picks and one building block player. The Jazz are a team I might contact because of that Knicks pick but I don't know what they could add to that.

Either way I don't want Bosh traded because I know we aren't going to be able to get equal value, which really is a shame. BC has already said he won't move Bosh, he said he will move Bosh if Bosh wants to leave but also wants the extra money (from his bird years) in a s&t. Otherwise he said, in an interview if I remember correctly, he will allow Bosh to leave. Of course this could be a smokescreen, but unless a crazy good deal came along I doubt Bosh is on the move.

I agree with BFT that any team taking Bosh would have to take one or two bad contracts alongside him.

Wow after looking at it, I had no idea Brooks was getting 18 PPG, he is putting up some fantastic stats. Maybe a potential deal could get struck lol.

Edited by travesy3