Perfect Team: Love finds way into lineup; let second-guessing begin

Warren2ThaG

Perfect Team: Love finds way into lineup; let second-guessing begin

-----------

Seven weeks ago, we set out on a mission to create the Perfect Team, choosing any 13 players as long as their salaries didn't exceed the $57.7 million salary cap. It was so easy, a caveman like me could do it.

Or so I thought.

You have to work pretty hard to find fault with a team that has Chris Paul throwing alley-oop passes to Dwight Howard and Brandon Roy as the closer. I have Shane Battier to quarterback my defense and slow down any and all wing scorers who show up in front of him. Now, with my final addition, I have Kevin Love grabbing rebounds, doing the dirty work, spacing the floor with his ever-improving jumper and throwing delicious outlet passes to my top-shelf point guard.

For all these reasons, Love is the perfect fit. And his $3,401,040 salary allows my 13-man roster to fit neatly under the cap with $852,273 to spare. I have to give credit where credit is due, and in this case, the Howlin' T-Wolf blog deserves recognition for making me fall in love with Love. Facing a choice among Love, Carl Landry and Luis Scola, I solicited advice via Twitter. Howlin' T-Wolf delivered, providing all the evidence I needed to sell me on Love as the right fit alongside Howard in the frontcourt.

So now what? How can we know if I did this right? How do we measure how my team would stack up against NBA competition? More important, how do we know if the team I put together represented the best possible allocation of my cap space?

Some of you may think I would've been better off with an inexpensive point guard (Aaron Brooks) and a couple of high-profile potential 2010 free agents (LeBron James and Chris Bosh). Others might prefer a team with Dwyane Wade and Pau Gasol as its centerpieces. The other Gasol, Marc, would've fit nicely with LeBron and Deron Williams. A Big Three of Steve Nash, Gerald Wallace and Paul Millsap? Intriguing.

---

More....

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/12758706/perfect-team-love-finds-way-into-lineup-let-secondguessing-begin