Turkoglu, Toronto Will Regret Marriage

A.K.

Hedo Turkoglu was three wins away from securing a championship ring less than one month ago.

Now, he's headed to a team that won only 33 games last season. A team that is in jeopardy of losing their franchise player, Chris Bosh, one year from now. A team that has failed to win a playoff series since 2001.

On Friday, Turkoglu agreed to terms with the Toronto Raptors, a move he will surely regret at some point over the next five years. Trading away the chance to play alongside four potential All-Stars and contend for the rest of his career, Turkoglu took Toronto's offer of $53 million over five years and ran with it.

But was the extra $8 million dollars really worth it?

When you factor in that the state of Florida has no income tax, plus all of the excess money that players make in the playoffs and Finals, the financial differences between the Raptors' contract and Orlando's $45 million offer are next to nothing.

But the same cannot be said for what Turkoglu is leaving behind. Things like friendships, most notably with Dwight Howard. The familiarity that comes with being on the same team, in the same city, with many of the same players for five years. The fan base that supported Turkoglu for so long, through the good times and bad. The $2 million home that Turkoglu owns in Isleworth.

But most importantly, the chance to compete for a title.

Read the rest: http://magic.realgm.com/articles/74/20090704/turkoglu_toronto_will_regret_marriage/

Edited by Swish

I think this guy is stupid to be honest but the reason i think behind what he did is he doesn't want to contend.. I know it sounds ridiculous but i see Turkoglu as the type of player that is fine not making the playoffs for a early vacation holiday.. he has far from the mind of a competitor .. well that's what i think ..

This article is just a bitter fan who didn't want him to leave.

Really tho, you think hedo was gonna come back when Orlando picked up Carter. You think Hedo was going to take a back seat to Carter after he help lead the Magic to the Finals, no.

But really tho, you went from praising Hedo, saying this and that. After everyone said hes just a border star player. Now he has left the magic and now you call him a 'roleplayer' annd he is onlygood in Stan's system?

Don't bash the Raptors cause they got Turk, bash him.

Edited by Doc

Why would I be a jealous raptor fan? And Turk game has a small forward game. Orlando didn't really have a PF in their system. Howard would be in the middle, and he would have the four shooters. Ifwe had to define a power forward on the starting lineup,it would Lewis. Also Carter's main position is small forward.

Like I understand why Medo would leave, just like Ariza, but don't make Toronto look like its the fault. Blame his wife, haha.

As a raptor fan, I don't like this move, cause he isn't worth the 10+ mill. I rather have the cheaper Marion, and also resign Delfino, and still have money to sign some depth. But now with this pick up, we don't. As least this will keep Bosh happy for now, via tweeter.

Hey Magic fans, u mad Turkoglu left?

I think so. :)

Turkoglu is better than Carter because of the mismatches he creates with his 6'10 frame and Carter isn't able to handle the ball as well as Turk. He is a better shooter as well. Not to mention you guys had to give up Courtney Lee. Gortat was also lost too so have fun.

Lol what? Carter is a much better player than Hedo, the only problem is seeing if he'll be a good fit or not.

Hedo shoots a career average of 43%, and only 41% last year compared to Carter's 45% and 44% this past season. Hedo shot 35.6% from three last season, and 38.5% in his career. Carter shot 38.5% from three last season, and 37.5% in his career. Even though Carter gives up around 4 inches to Hedo, he still grabs the same number of boards and dishes out the same number of assists. Only difference is that Carter does it on a consistent basis.

Carter is the better slasher/cutter as well, and I'm not sure if you're being serious, but Carter is the better ball handler. Hedo is only a good ball handler for his size. Despite playing 131 more minutes than Hedo (and keeping in mind he had the ball in his hands much more often than Hedo), Carter committed 38 less turnovers.

Edited by OldChili

You made it seem as if Hedo will regret going to toronto, when its toronto who will regret paying him all that money when bosh leaves next yr and they realize that their new franchise player is turk.

Well this team is actually good that he's on.

Calderon, Bosh, and Hedo is a solid core to have for a season. They also have Pops, Rozen, Evans, Solomon, Bargnani, and Graham. Not to mention they may resign Parker or Marion if not both.

They certainly can make the playoffs so it' not like he's going to that bad of a team.

And it's a business. He wants money. Also maybe there was tension in the locker room when he was with Orlando?

Well this team is actually good that he's on.

Calderon, Bosh, and Hedo is a solid core to have for a season. They also have Pops, Rozen, Evans, Solomon, Bargnani, and Graham. Not to mention they may resign Parker or Marion if not both.

They certainly can make the playoffs so it' not like he's going to that bad of a team.

And it's a business. He wants money. Also maybe there was tension in the locker room when he was with Orlando?

In order for them to get Hedo they had to let go of Marion, Parker, Delfino, and a couple of others.

Well now they have one of the best playmakers in the league. The GM had to please Bosh. Now Bosh can come back to Toronto with a core of Rozen, Bargnani, Calderon, and Turkogolu, which imo is better than keeping a bunch of average players like you mentioned above.