Nuggets struggle with new life as the hunted team

NJNJ

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/2010/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/01/11/nuggets/nuggets608.jpg

Yes, the injuries. Of course the injuries. Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Chris Andersen -- all missing blocks of time or playing hurt, plus J.R. Smith and his season-opening suspension. That's a lot of diminished Nuggets firepower for a season not yet half over.<p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p> But it's not about that. Something is different with Denver, different enough to have slowly but unmistakably grown into a concern."I don't think we've responded that well to being one of the favorites," said the emotional leader, point guard Chauncey Billups.

"I think we've lost some games because of it," said the coach, George Karl.

Following up a trip to the Western Conference finals with a seemingly respectable 23-14 start -- whch has the Nuggets leading the Northwest Division -- is not an endorsement that everything is fine. That's the very thing that has gotten the Nuggets in trouble, actually, this new life as one of the chased.

Everything changed with the hugely successful 2008-09 season, and now the Nuggets haven't changed enough with it. The Nuggets went from being able to sneak up on people en route to a 54-28 record, a division title and a special ride all the way to the Western Conference finals, to entering the encore 2009-10 season with a bell around their necks to announce every move.

Good news: They have earned the respect of opponents.

Bad news: They have earned the respect of opponents.

"When you're one of the top teams, you win the games that you're supposed to win," said Billups, who should know, having played in seven consecutive conference finals with the Pistons and Nuggets. "I don't think we're doing a good job of that."

Loss to the Timberwolves on Nov. 29.

Loss to the Bobcats on Dec. 8.

Loss to the Pistons on Dec. 10.

Loss to the 76ers on Jan. 3.

Seven losses in the last 11 games, though there was also digging in to beat the Cavaliers on Friday.

"I don't know if [the approach and attitude has] been different," Billups said. "I just think this is the first time for most of the guys on this team being in that position. And it's not the same. It's different. When you come to town, you're everybody's big game now. It's a little different than coming to town and being able to sneak up on teams. We've struggled at trying to adjust to that.

"Any time you see something for the first time, you're not going to have the experience to know what to do. I think the first part of this season, the first 35-40 games, is teaching us how we're going to have to be as far having to step up and win the games we're supposed to win. At this point, we've struggled in that area."

CONTINUE READING