Bargs Wants to Avg 10 Boards a Game

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/ulmer.html

In his fourth NBA season, the former first overall understands the first rule of floor time. If you want it, you have got to give the coach what he wants. No quid pro, yes bench.

“It’s the only way to stay on the court. If you don’t score, don’t rebound and don’t play defence, why would the coach keep you on the court?”

But Bargnani wasn’t surprised and this is what is remarkable about him. He never seems to doubt himself. It’s just that he doesn’t say so unless he is asked.

“Sooner or later I thought it (the rebounds) was going to happen,” he said.

That’s interesting. Bargnani’s previous best was 11, a plateau he has hit two other times. This is only the sixth time in 38 games this season he has hit double figures.

So why does he think he can do so much more.

Well, for one, he has been improving. This season’s 6.4 rebounds per game are a career high. Second, rebounding is something that comes with experience since players have to track both the ball and their opponents. It takes years to accrue the necessary skills.

“I definitely have to improve,” said Bargnani. “It’s the aspect of my game that is more, I would say, bad. Ten a game would be nice but I have a long way to go.”

I admire that Bargnani wants to improve, it is nice to see from him he wants to get better and wants to be a good player. Sometimes I get that feeling that he doesn't care, but he has definitely helped make me like him these past few weeks, he has definitely been really solid for us.

As for his rebounding, I think he will be hardpressed to get 10 a game, mainly because while Bosh typicailly takes care of the defensive glass, Bargnani just is not on the offensive glass, at all (1 a game). I think he will always be a lackluster rebounder, but if he could just average 18-8 for us, that would definitely be worth the money we are paying him, if he can continue to play solid D of course. Bargnani needs to work on his positioning on the offensive glass, when a play is being run for someone else rather than stand out at the 3 point line he should be getting into the paint to crash the glass.

I admit I hated Bargnani when we were struggling early on, but as of late he is one of the main reasons we are playing so well. I am definitely coming to appreciate Bargnani more and more... wish he would get more looks though, I think it might be time he is made into the definitive second scoring option, and gets more touches rather than shoot spot up 30's 75% of the time.

If Bargnani can even become just a good rebounder, or solid, you have to be happy as a Raptor fan.

If Bargnani can even become just a good rebounder, or solid, as well as an average help and man defender, you have to be happy as a Raptor fan.

Fixed. ;)

There is no reason why he can't average 10 boards a game. Rebounding is about 90% effort and 10% technique. All he has to do is consistently get after it every single time a shot is taken. Get inside the paint, find a body, and just work your [expletive] off. If you do things like this, the rebounds are going to come.

That said, I don't ever expect him to actually average 10 a game, and like you said, I would be happy with him pulling down 8 a game. He just needs to give more effort on the glass and he will pull down more boards. You can't be lazy when talking about rebounding, and Bargnani is a lazy rebounder.

Its really that simple.

Where Bargnani needs to become that dominate threat is grabbing that defensive board, running down the floor and taking the 3 as a trailer. That a part of his game he does partially now (mainly the latter). He usually watches Bosh get the rebound and slowly walks down the court then takes a three, which to his credit does go in a good amount. If he can learn to start the break off a miss and a rebound, he could become such a great threat on the fast break.

Even though the Pacers chucked, I'm happy that Andrea grabbed 17 last game, especially since he was cold offensively. That offensive rebound late, though he got a lucky bounce, was the hustle this team needs to see from him. He is learning to expand his game without the 3, and that is a major positive.

22 and 8 is my desired amount for him, but if Bosh leaves, he may be forced to grab 10, or else the team gets beat badly.

Even though the Pacers chucked, I'm happy that Andrea grabbed 17 last game, especially since he was cold offensively. That offensive rebound late, though he got a lucky bounce, was the hustle this team needs to see from him. He is learning to expand his game without the 3, and that is a major positive.

I may catch some flak for saying this, but he had to work very little to get most of those rebounds. A lot of long rebounds off of missed Pacer 3's that just kind of fell right into his hands. Another factor was Bosh being out on the perimeter for the majority of the game covering Troy Murphy, and the Pacers had a pretty small lineup for most of the game as they were focusing on spreading the floor. This left Bargs as the lone big man down low.

That said though, a 17 rebound game is impressive regardless. Anytime a player pulls down 17 boards in a game it is impressive, easy boards or not.

The next step in Bargs development as a rebounder is for him to learn how to rebound in traffic. He has made noticable improvements at figuring out how to come away with boards in one-on-one scenarios with little traffic around him, but he still seems to be lost when he is rebounding in traffic. This is the one area that he needs to develop if he ever wants to actually average 10 boards a game. Grabbing boards in traffic is the sign that a player is finally "getting it" when it comes to rebounding, and I am still waiting for Bargs to show that he can traffic rebound.