Doug Smith: "Its Time For Calderon To Start"

It’s been four games, two wins and two losses, since he returned last week in Orlando and there is no question he’s playing well.

He looks 100 per cent, is shooting 14-for-26 from the field with 20 assist in those four games, he’s getting to the rim on offence easily, he’s playing about 23 minutes a game and his defence, well, I’m not going to talk about his defence because it’s not as bad as you think but you won’t believe me.

Now, I don’t know if Jay shares this opinion, but I think the offence runs better with Calderon at the helm, he’s better at pick and roll and Calderon’s a better spot up shooter (no small fact when you consider the needs of Hedo Turkoglu to have the ball a bit more often.

With two days of practice and a shootaround before the Knicks game, I don’t know that there’s going to be a better time to get him some work with the first unit, get Jarrett Jack back working with the Young Guns and make the switch.

So, yes.

It’s time.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2010/01/is-bosh-the-best-and-call-the-folks-on-the-tv-awards-panels.html

I know that all of the Raptors fans on here are going to disagree with Smith (myself included), but I figured that I would post this anyways.

I'm sure that everybody who visits the Raptors board knows my thoughts on this, so I won't bore you with a long response. I think that Jose's offense is more needed with the 2nd unit, and Jack's superior defense (although he is pretty bad himself) is more needed with the starters. If the Raps go on a losing streak or something, sure, switch it up. But I would leave it as is for now.

One thing that I wouldn't be completely opposed to, however, is starting Calderon in an attempt to showcase him for a possible trade. This could have a negative effect on his trade value though, if his defense gets exploited all night long and teams view him as a complete liability on the defensive end.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Jose should only get minutes if he is willing to not be the primary ball handler and more a spot up shooter. If he is willing to allow Hedo to have the ball up top more often then okay, because Jose is probably the best shooter on our team besides maybe Andrea. If he continues to always run towards the ball and do nothing when he doesn't have it, then he may as well stay on the bench away from Hedo.... I am convinced Hedo and Jose cannot co-exist.

I want Jose gone though, he has definitely become my least favourite Raptor.... I am fickle though so that could easily change within the next month if he starts playing well :lol:

Jack's superior defense

Man, though this part is so true in comparison to Jose, man, you are dead on saying he is pretty bad himself. This is how bad Jose is on D, I almost wonder how Bargnani and Bosh's D would have developed if they would have played with guards who could play D, consistently.

I haven't noticed how bad Jack is on D, that is probably in large part to me not trying to criticize him as much as I do Jose. But I think Jack just brings so much more to the table, he actually pushes the ball, takes some chances. He actually allows Hedo to run the offense at times... plus I just think Jack is a grinder and a tough player and Jose is one of our softest guys, I see him patting guys on the back on the other team at points in the game... I just feel like our team is better with Jack getting the minutes.

Jack's decision making can be pretty bad sometimes, but I think his superior D, hustle and versatility makes him a lot better than Jose. Also I just plain hate Calderon.

He seems to get lost on screens too easy to me, but I will say this for Jack, playing alongside a rookie 2 and a lazy 3 doesn't help how your D looks, so maybe I was a little hard on him. But he is miles ahead of Jose "Clap and Kick" Calderon

Derozan is the worst player I have ever seen at fighting through screens, he just... doesn't. We need a starting 2, NOW. Get Sonny and Wright out of the rotation and have a starting 2 and Demar get the bulk of the minutes, Marco at times too. Please, just get Sonny and Antoine out of here.

I like Sonny, and I think he has aspect that can make him an okay player, plus he's only in his second year. He hasn't been so great lately, though he has hit his open jumper, and i mean, OPEN. DeRozan never really faced screens like this so he's learning but there is no doubt if you ask any Raptor fan what DeRozan has troubles with, it's screen action, but he's getting better.