Hypothetical Situation: Kevin Martin or Caron Butler?

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been rumors circulating around both of these two for a while now as the Wizards are simply a mess right now and seem like they have finally decided to blow up the roster. The Kings are looking to unload his contract and hand the reigns over to Tyreke Evans.

So it begs the question, hypothetically, who would you rather have on the Raptors, Kevin Martin or Caron Butler? For arguments sake, lets say that the Raptors package for each is the exact same (Calderon + Johnson or something, who cares though as that isn't the point of this thread).

So who ya got?

• Owner

Caron Butler. I feel like Kevin Martin is the bigger chemistry-killer, and Butler would more likely defer to Bosh than Martin would...can't be too sure of that, but Butler HAS played as a second or third option before, where Kevin hasn't.

IMO, the Raptors aren't in need of a wing player. They have Hedo, and a developing DeRozan. They aren't in need of a big man either, with Bosh as their franchise PF and Bargs' defensive game showing signs of improvement, plus Reggie Evens soon to return who will bring some energy and defense off the bench.

If there is anything the Raptors need is a defensive-minded, non-ball-dominant point guard.

If the Raptors are planning on an upgrade to their wing position, a Terry/Manu-like scorer off the bench would be their biggest benefit. Caron isn't equipped to being a scoring sixth man, but I think I can see that role for K-Mart. Neither should start cause it might slow down DeMar's growth.

Still, if the Raptors are to make any moves, it should be to strengthen their weaker areas. More defense at the point position, get more out of their starting center defensively, and maybe add a scoring sixth man at the wing as an extra.

In a perfect world, the Raptors will somehow get rid of Calderon and replace him with Hinrich, moving Jack to coming off the bench. They'll get Martin as a scoring punch off the bench while still keeping their key players, Evens will increase the energy defensively when he gets back, and Bargnani will become an above average defender.

Edit: To answer the question directly, I'd pick Kevin Martin, but only as a sixth man. I'd prefer the starting line up as is rather than add either of them.

Edited by Poe

^^^ SG is definitely our biggest need, all our SG's suck, including Demar. Marco, Sonny and Antoine should play sparingly but all of them are in the rotation pretty much. A starting SG is definitely out biggest need, I think we might have the worst rotation of SG's in the NBA without looking.

Either of these guys would hopefully allow us to bench the [expletive]ty 3 wings and give the bulk of the minutes to the new guy and Demar off the bench.

In terms of who I would want I would frankly be ecstatic with either guy, but I think Caron would probably be the better fit. His slashing ability would be something that would address what we have lacked for years now, and let's not forget he has been a 20 point player the past 3 or 4 seasons. But Martin too is a shooter who would probably fit right into our jumpshot only system. I assumed Butler is the superior defender, but neither could be any worse than Demar.... but I will take Butler if I have to choose one.

But honestly either of these guys would make us so much better IMO, especially if all we are losing is Jose, who mind you has been playing some really good ball lately himself. But really I have a gut feeling neither of these deals are going to wind up happening, especially if we catch fire and get our record even better :(

EDIT- To the above, Hinrich is interesting.... they have wanted to move Salmons for an expiring for a while now, so maybe Calderon+Amir+Wright for Salmons and Hinrich would be something they would like.... Amir and Wright and POB if needed would provide expirings for Salmons, and we would basically be swapping Jose for Hinrich. Idk if that would be interesting to them, but it a pretty solid proposal that would address both teams needs, just would depend how badly they want to dump Salmons contract.

Edited by travesy3

I'd still prefer seeing K-Mart off the bench. He'd bring continuity to their offense, instead of packing all the offensive weapons into the starting line up and leaving the bench with virtually nothing. Like you said, the Raptors' wing rotation hasn't been looking good. K-Mart off the bench could be ideal, and leave DeMar in the starting group for his defensive effort plus developmental purposes.

AFAIK, Caron is a guy who needs the ball in his hands to be affective offensively, just like Hedo. I really don't think Caron would be a good fit at all, starting or not.

Kevin Martin is an awful defender, do the Raptors really need another one? I'd rather have Butler for the same reason as Real posted and the fact that he's the better defender.