Who's Was The Better Draft Pick For The Magic?

crabbylion

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was just sitting back thinking today of how far our central Florida franchise has come. Since their inuagural season in '88(so I believe), the Orlando Magic has managed to make some brow raising picks. They've had their share of lame picks, as well. The battle begins tonight! I want to know who was the more impressive pick by the Orlando Magic. Also, please try not to leave a one worded response. Give us your pick and briefly state why you picked the guy.

Now what I mean by impressive is which pick left the more deeper impression on the city and franchise. If you aren't familiar with the city of Orlando then just let us know how you feel. Thanks and I appreciate your support.

BTW, I voted for Shaq. I like Dwight more as a player and media figure, but I can remember how the city welcomed him with anticipation. After Walt Disney, he made the world look at Orlando again.

Edited by crabbylion

Shaq. I know you said not to give one worded responses, but I just felt like this was way too obvious.

I agree. I think Dwight has the potential to be the better pick in the future, but it just hasn't been long enough yet. He needs to stay with the Magic for awhile and allow them to build around him and get him the pieces needed to win a few titles.

Gotta go with Dwight on this one just because he's more loyal. I know that right now we don't know if Dwight is moving out or not, but we do know that Shaq has already moved a few times. Also, the Howard pick was much more riskier. It was really obvious that Shaq would be the first pick, but the Howard pick would have more doubt. Dwight was coming straight from High School but Okafor would be a sure solid player. Main point here is that it's easier to build around someone that will stay with the franchise.

• Like 1

Gotta go with Dwight on this one just because he's more loyal. I know that right now we don't know if Dwight is moving out or not, but we do know that Shaq has already moved a few times. Also, the Howard pick was much more riskier. It was really obvious that Shaq would be the first pick, but the Howard pick would have more doubt. Dwight was coming straight from High School but Okafor would be a sure solid player. Main point here is that it's easier to build around someone that will stay with the franchise.

Was gonna post something like this, but this basically how I feel about Howard as well. It was very risky pick, we learned with Shaq the first time. We'll build around Howard. I think for us (Orlando Magic) Dwight Howard was a better draft pick overall. Granted Shaq is a beast seasoned vet and all.

In terms of which one being a better draft pick for the Magic, I would definitely say Howard. This is because I've read in Shaq's biography (published in 1996) that when he got picked by the Magic, his agent constructed a plan to get Shaq traded to the Lakers and although he refused to do so then, 2 years after the biography was published he moved to the Lakers.

I've got a feeling Dwight is going to stay with Orlando for at least most of his career so I am going to go with Dwight.

• Like 2

Ok, so even though they both have put in 3-4 yrs with the franchise it looks like the overall is leaning towards the Diesel. I still stand by my pick, Shaq, but wait. With the NBA being arguable bigger now in the 21st century, don't you think the Magic will profit more from this Howard guy. After all, its why owners want to opt in this league, right?

I voted Dwight. Shaq brought the Magic franchise to people's attention when we still new to the league, so I guess that's worth something. He made the finals, where he got swept. Dwight has also become a face of the league and is a popular player, and we made the finals with him and didn't get swept at least. He's more reliable, already having been here 2 years longer than Shaq was here.

All you people saying "Shaq. Easy choice." Really? Is it that easy? I'd like to hear your reasons.

^ Yeah, I mean Shaq has done a lot for the league, but just a little for the Magic. He's the greatest center of all time so I'm assuming that's why people are voting for him. But the question was "Who was the better draft pick for the Magic?" and to me that's obviously been Dwight Howard. I think in the end he'll be the one who does more for our franchise.

^ Yeah, I mean Shaq has done a lot for the league, but just a little for the Magic. He's the greatest center of all time so I'm assuming that's why people are voting for him. But the question was "Who was the better draft pick for the Magic?" and to me that's obviously been Dwight Howard. I think in the end he'll be the one who does more for our franchise.

Right on! I hear ya. I really hope ownership can keep Dwight here and happy. In a few years I may want to retract my vote. I mean, at this rate Howard is going this guy might put southeastern united states on the map in terms of basketball. Still, though. This place was nothin' before O'Neal came. In that region, for sports all they really had was the AFL team and the occasional good bowl game.