Yahoo: Grizzlies shopping Rudy Gay

Dash

"Yesterday, I wrote about the Grizzlies’ pursuit of Ronnie Brewer and heralded the new, more serious era for the Grizzlies. Well, it turns out I was wrong—apparently they’re interested in Brewer as protection if Rudy Gay walks away as an unrestricted free agent this summer.

But that’s not all. According to Chad Ford, Memphis is thinking about dealing Gay before the deadline:

One, Memphis is concerned that this summer a team flush with cap space will offer Gay (who will be a restricted free agent this summer) a huge contract that Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley will be unwilling to match. Two, the team, currently at 22-19, would love to make the playoffs and believes it’s a veteran defensive presence away from getting there.

While a number of teams would be interested in Gay, a rising talent at age 23, keep your eye on the Pistons. They have been hunting for the right trade in which to move Tayshaun Prince. If Prince is healthy (he has been battling back and knee injuries all season), he might fit the bill for Memphis—and the Pistons could throw in a lottery pick from this year’s draft to sweeten the deal.

Link

Wow I hope these reports aren't true. Grizzlies have been rolling and I hate it if they end up trading arguably their most talented wing. Although if Memphis really feels Gay won't be back next season then it would be best to try and get some assets back in return.