DeMar DeRozan Not Named To Rookie Team?

From Doug Smith's latest blog entry:

Just got word from the NBA on the rosters for the Rookie-Sophomore silliness as part of all-star weekend and, as a surprise to me, there’s no DeMar DeRozan on the rookie team.

Instead, the panel took this auspicious group:

Tyreke Evans of Sacramento, his Kings teammate Omri Casspi, Stephen Curry of Golden State, DeJuan Blair of the Spurs, Jonny Flynn of Minnesota, James Harden of Oklahoma City, Taj Gibson of Chicago, Brandon Jennings of the Bucks and Jonas Jerebko of Detroit.

I can’t argue with a lot of those suggestions except Jerebko. No way I’d take him over DeRozan but they never asked me for my vote.

The two of them score about the same, Jerebko has better rebounding stats but DeRozan’s a bigger part of a better team.

I think they got it wrong.

And by “they” I mean NBA assistant coaches, who were the voters in this.

The sophomore team?

Chicago's Derrick Rose, Miami’s Michael Beasley, Eric Gordon of the Clippers, Kevin Love from Minnesota, Brook Lopez of the Nets, Danilo Gallinari of the Knicks, Russell Westbrook of Oklahoma City and a pair of Grizzlies: Marc Gasol and O.J. Mayo.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2010/01/no-kiddies-allstar-game-for-derozan.html

Here are DeRozan and Jerebko's numbers with per 36 minutes in brackets:

DeRozan

8.2 ppg (14)

2.9 rpg (5)

0.7 apg (1.1)

0.6 spg (1)

46.4 FG%

21 mpg

Jerebko

8.4 ppg (10.9)

5.4 rpg (7)

0.7 apg (0.9)

0.6 spg (0.8)

47.4 FG%

27.8 mpg

Jerebko's rebounding numbers are obviously going to be higher as he is a 6-10 forward while DeRozan is a 6-7 guard. The Pistons' leading rebounder is Ben Wallace at 9.4 while Bosh is grabbing 11.1 a game (Bargnani's 6.5 is more than Charlie V's 5.5 as well), so naturally there are less rebound oppourtinties for DeRozan considering he is a guard and is playing with somebody like Bosh. Everything else is a complete wash, at least statistically, and that is with DeRozan playing 6.8 less minutes per game.

Obviously I would take DeRozan being a Raptors fan and all, not to mention the fact that he would make the game way more exciting than Jerebko would. Seeing DeRozan running around in a fast paced game like this would surely lead to a few highlight reel plays.

To be honest though, I don't really care either way. In fact, if DeRozan's ankles are still bothering him I would rather him not play in the game or do the Dunk Contest as I don't really care about these things all that much.

Is this just homerism on my part, or does DeRozan deserve to be their more than Jerebko?

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner

Nobody will pay attention to the minutes played by those guys, and that's where DeRozan falls short. His role is less on a team with more, and Jerebko looks to be better on paper.

You throw in the "per 36" factor, and yes, you're right.

Sometimes, people look at it and say there are reasons as to why that guy isn't playing more minutes. That might have been the case here.

Triano is a dumb [expletive] for not giving him more minutes.

I thought the same thing at the beginning of the season, but to be honest, I think that Triano has done a really good job of handeling DeRozan. He isn't giving him a lot of minutes, which is obviously hurting his numbers and what not, but it has helped prevent DeRozan from hitting the rookie wall.

Not only that, you can see that DeRozan has gotten noticably better since the beginning of the season. When the season started he couldn't hit a jumper to save his life, no matter how wide open he was. Now, he has much more confidence in his mid range jumper and is hitting it fairly consistently. He couldn't create off of the dribble at all when the season first started, but now he has takes his man off of the bounce a couple times a game, he doesn't always finish at the hoop or get a good shot, but at least he has improved his handles enough to be able to do it.

Triano has done some questionable things with his rotation, like the "Cack" lineup (Calderon and Jack together even though it hardly works) but he has done a really nice job of handeling DeRozan as far as I am concerned. Sure, I would like to see him get a few more minutes in the 4th quarter when he is playing well, but aside from that, I really cannot complain about Jay's handeling of DeRozan.

DeMar DeRozan found out about his snug for the rookie challenge from Sonny Weems who burst into the training room where DeRozan was getting treatment for two sprained ankles and vented his own frustration at the snub.

DeRozan said he was "more confused than angry" about not being selected but he did use his Twitter account to share his initial feelings when he found it. DeRozan sent out the three-letter tweet "Wow".

"I've learned from other players, just keep it short and sweet," he said.

DeRozan said he will certainly be using this as motivation for the rest of the year.

"I don't get too frustrated because I've got an entire second half of the season to go," DeRozan said. "It's just a chance for me to show them that I should have got a mention here."

DeRozan will still participate in the dunk-off against Eric Gordon.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64325/20100128/derozan_raptors_shocked_by_rookie_challenge_snub/

I don't know why we was snubbed, but hopefully it motivates him.

alot of it has to do with how jerebko came out of no where to be a big piece for Detroit now and in their future. Jerebko has been stronger for his team, while DeRozan has been simply solid.

I agree with your points but a fair rebuttal to that is DeRozan is doing it on a 24-22 team while the Pistons are garbage.