Stein: Rockets and Wizards talking deal

Dash

The Houston Rockets and Washington Wizards continue to discuss a possible Tracy McGrady trade in advance of next month's trading deadline, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources close to the situation, however, insisted Saturday night that no deal is imminent and that both teams continue to talk to other clubs.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Rockets have indeed expressed an interest in Wizards forward Caron Butler and center Brendan Haywood. But for a Wizards-Rockets deal to go through, Washington would almost certainly try to hold out for at least one of Houston's rotation players, such as Luis Scola, in addition to McGrady.

The Rockets, though, are determined to keep the core of a roster that has unexpectedly managed this season without McGrady and the injured Yao Ming. Houston is thus believed to be offering Washington only the payroll relief that would come with McGrady's contract.

The Rockets, sources say, have made it clear that they are willing to surrender McGrady's $22.5 million contract before the deadline if they can get quality talent in return, but they also have the option of simply keeping McGrady for the rest of the season and letting his contract expire to gain payroll flexibility for an offseason retooling.

Link

Interesting...

A T-Mac/Scola for Butler/Haywood is $8-11 million short though, I wonder who the filler would be.

I hope something happens soon, we need a trade.

Yeah we do, we just have not been playing well since of 2010.

Is it so bad that Mike Miller is considered a 'throw in'?

I am not sure, I would like him to be, but doubt it.

Edited by ChosenOne

Is it so bad that Mike Miller is considered a 'throw in'?

Not sure what you mean there, but I would much rather get rid of Mike James than Mike Miller obviously. I'm just recalling the previous rumors between Houston in Washington that included Miller and Butler being shipped together for T-Mac.