http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ygr43ge

Houston Receives:

- Brendan Haywood

- Mike James

- Caron Butler

Washington Receives:

- Tracy McGrady

- 2010 first round draft pick

The Wizards and Rockets have continued to discuss a possible trade centered around Tracy McGrady, according to NBA front-office sources.

However, nothing is imminent and the two sides continue to talk with other teams ahead of the Feb. 18 trade deadline.

McGrady was granted an indefinite leave from the Rockets in December after his representatives and Houston management mutually agreed to pursue a trade that would find a new home for him.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Rockets have expressed interest in acquiring forward Caron Butler and center Brendan Haywood from the Wizards.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64377/20100131/sources_wizards_rockets_discussing_deal/

Now with this deal I proposed, it clearly favors Houston, as they acquire two impact players that will help them stay in contention. The Wizards shed some cap space with this deal, they get a first round pick in another guard heavy draft, and they prepare themselves for a large rebuilding process. We also trade Mike James, who wants to be dealt out of Washington. I think it's a win-win for both teams.

Thoughts?

Washington is losing too much. Remember, it's T-mac.....Haywood is a top ten center and Butler is a top ten forward. The 1st round pick will probably be in the 15-30 range so it isn't THAT good, and T-mac is a shell of himself. Maybe if you give just Butler or just Haywood but not both.

Washington is losing too much. Remember, it's T-mac.....Haywood is a top ten center and Butler is a top ten forward. The 1st round pick will probably be in the 15-30 range so it isn't THAT good, and T-mac is a shell of himself. Maybe if you give just Butler or just Haywood but not both.

Actually T-Mac is healthy enough to play, he just doesnt fit this team and had some good stints, he would be good for Washington in my opinion, and either way, he is a 23 million $ expiring.

Edited by YugoRocketsFan

The chances are, you guys are making the playoffs. It won't be a lottery pick.

But what if we don't? Morey would look like an idiot for trading away a lottery pick in such a deep draft. The trade makes us better than the Hornets for sure but I can't say the same for the other teams battling for position.

If it means trading away our pick then I would look at other options. I would rather part with Scola than our pick.

Actually T-Mac is healthy enough to play, he just doesnt fit this team and had some good stints, he would be good for Washington in my opinion, and either way, he is a 23 million $ expiring.

You're exactly right. Adelman said it himself, Tracy can play, its just that management doesn't want him around anymore.

Exactly.

I like this trade for us, but am not sure if it woll go down the Wizards is losing alot.

We are getting horribly ripped off in that scenario. The Rockets would need to throw in one of their contributing players in that deal in place of the draft pick, such as Scola. Even then, I'm still not a huge fan of it.

You are getting a 23 million $ expiring, thats priceless brah.

You are getting a 23 million $ expiring, thats priceless brah.

But we also give up a top center in Haywood, and we have a chance at resigning Miller in the offseason if we hang on to him. Butler is definitely expendable and I've been looking for us to get rid of him for a while.

However, giving away all of those very productive parts for an expiring to help give us a "chance" at signing a big name free agent is risky. Our location doesn't exactly have the best reputation right now, and I don't see someone like Wade, Lebron, or Bosh putting D.C as their top choice when exploring other potential destinations. We would be a backup team for them, not a first option.

We are getting horribly ripped off in that scenario. The Rockets would need to throw in one of their contributing players in that deal in place of the draft pick, such as Scola. Even then, I'm still not a huge fan of it.

We save the Wizards from a financial disaster.

But we also give up a top center in Haywood, and we have a chance at resigning Miller in the offseason if we hang on to him. Butler is definitely expendable and I've been looking for us to get rid of him for a while.

However, giving away all of those very productive parts for an expiring to help give us a "chance" at signing a big name free agent is risky. Our location doesn't exactly have the best reputation right now, and I don't see someone like Wade, Lebron, or Bosh putting D.C as their top choice when exploring other potential destinations. We would be a backup team for them, not a first option.

Yeah but T-Mac will play for the Wizards, you are acting like he wont play the entire year.

It doesn't matter, Morey won't be giving up one of his contributing players. All he wants to do, is trade Mac.

I like this deal because we save ourselves from a financial crises. We have Ted Leonis about to buy our franchise, he's most notable for rebuilding the Caps into one of the top teams in the NHL, give him some cap space and let him work his magic.

I understand that but if you have to look at it from our point of view. We don't have to trade away McGrady, we can hang onto him and use whatever cap space we have in the offseason. Butler is injury prone and having a horrible season and Haywood is just looking for his next big paycheck, don't forget that he was out most of the 208-09 season too. To be honest I'm not that interested in exploring a deal with the Wizards, it just doesn't make sense for us unless its a lopsided trade that most Washington fans won't be happy with. If we have to give up too many assets than we do have other options (Iggy, K-Mart, etc).

Also keep in mind that there is talk of a hard cap next season, I don't think either Houston or Washington wants to deal with that.

Yeah but T-Mac will play for the Wizards, you are acting like he wont play the entire year.

It's not like him coming here for all of those players will guarantee us a playoff spot or anything. If anything, it'll just affect our chances at getting the top pick. Whether it hurts or helps those chances, who knows.

I understand that but if you have to look at it from our point of view. We don't have to trade away McGrady, we can hang onto him and use whatever cap space we have in the offseason. Butler is injury prone and having a horrible season and Haywood is just looking for his next big paycheck, don't forget that he was out most of the 208-09 season too. To be honest I'm not that interested in exploring a deal with the Wizards, it just doesn't make sense for us unless its a lopsided trade that most Washington fans won't be happy with. If we have to give up too many assets than we do have other options (Iggy, K-Mart, etc).

Also keep in mind that there is talk of a hard cap next season, I don't think either Houston or Washington wants to deal with that.

I would like the trade if Haywood was replaced by someone else on the roster. And Butler is not that injury prone, especially compared to T-Mac. Haywood had already stated recently that he would love to return for D.C. He didn't give any details regarding his contract, but I'm sure a loyal guy like him wouldn't mind shedding off a few bucks for the benefit of the team so they can bring him back.

• Owner

If you're so concerned about the pick, make it lottery protected.

That would definitely change the trade, though, and I doubt Washington falls for that.

The Wizards aren't going to be a big-name team in the free agency period, though. New York, New Jersey, Miami, Chicago...those four are the ones with the biggest chance of landing LeBron, Wade or Bosh...so bringing McGrady on board (well, his contract) is either to save money next season, or the Wizards' FO hoping they can rake in one of those second-tier free agents.

As far as McGrady fitting in, I don't see it. He would need the ball in his hands to be most effective, slotted into the roster as a point-forward, but that takes the ball out of Gilbert's hands. You can't have both. Even though Gilbert stated that he was going to change, he never did...and without the ball, McGrady would have to be a spot-up shooter, and we see how bad that is with Mike Miller right now.

But, pretend that Washington wants it. They will want a big, also...and that big will be Scola. They would play small ball with him at the five, giving them time to continue developing guys like Blatche and McGee.

From Houston's standpoint, you dump McGrady and bring in Haywood and Butler. It's an excellent trade.

If you're so concerned about the pick, make it lottery protected.

That would definitely change the trade, though, and I doubt Washington falls for that.

The Wizards aren't going to be a big-name team in the free agency period, though. New York, New Jersey, Miami, Chicago...those four are the ones with the biggest chance of landing LeBron, Wade or Bosh...so bringing McGrady on board (well, his contract) is either to save money next season, or the Wizards' FO hoping they can rake in one of those second-tier free agents.

As far as McGrady fitting in, I don't see it. He would need the ball in his hands to be most effective, slotted into the roster as a point-forward, but that takes the ball out of Gilbert's hands. You can't have both. Even though Gilbert stated that he was going to change, he never did...and without the ball, McGrady would have to be a spot-up shooter, and we see how bad that is with Mike Miller right now.

But, pretend that Washington wants it. They will want a big, also...and that big will be Scola. They would play small ball with him at the five, giving them time to continue developing guys like Blatche and McGee.

From Houston's standpoint, you dump McGrady and bring in Haywood and Butler. It's an excellent trade.

Arenas is gone for the season and T-Mac expires this season.

McGrady's performance isn't a huge concern since our playoff hopes are slim to none and we definitely won't be bringing him back if he came here this season. All that matters is that we shed salary, and hopefully at LEAST get Scola out of this trade.

Edited by Bulletproof

McGrady's performance isn't a huge concern since our playoff hopes are slim to none and we definitely won't be bringing him back if he came here this season. All that matters is that we shed salary, and hopefully at LEAST get Scola out of this trade.

Scola? Id hate to see him go. Dude gives 100%, and rarely has terrible games. But it would be nice to see because Landry would start and this trade solves all our problems, gives us a guy who can create his own shot and a post player in Haywood. If this goes, I will be a happy man.

Brooks

Ariza

Butler

Landry

Haywood

Edited by YugoRocketsFan

Scola? Id hate to see him go. Dude gives 100%, and rarely has terrible games. But it would be nice to see because Landry would start and this trade solves all our problems, gives us a guy who can create his own shot and a post player in Haywood. If this goes, I will be a happy man.

Brooks

Ariza

Butler

Landry

Haywood

That's his most attractive talent IMO. Our team lacks effort on both ends of the floor, and maybe his hard work can spark some sense of urgency for the rest of the team. Overall, the Rockets definitely win this trade, because Scola's hole can easily be filled by Landry who can get more playing time to add to his already phenomenal play. But we need to rebuild, because the individual talented pieces we have don't mesh well together and we can't win games with them.

Although, if this is the first trade we make, Scola may be stuck as an undersized center for a while until we move Jamison.

Projected lineup after this trade:

PG: Randy Foye

SG: Mike Miller

SF: Tracy McGrady

PF: Antawn Jamison

C: Luis Scola

It's not horrible, I'm just concerned with how Scola will function as a center.

It's that time of year again, when speculation runs rampant, rumors are reported the moment they are heard and everyone scrambles. As I reported roughly three weeks ago, the Wizards have been in talks with the Houston Rockets about a possible swap of Caron Butler for Tracy McGrady's expiring contract. Of course, other pieces would have to be included, since McGrady is owed nearly $13 million more than Butler this season.

ESPN.com reported over the weekend that Brendan Haywood has also been mentioned in the deal. I wrote earlier that the Rockets aren't listening to any deal involving Mike James's expiring contract, but I don't see Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld surrendering two starters for salary cap space -- especially when Haywood is drawing interest from other teams.

The Rockets definitely are interested in Butler, but something might not get done until closer to the all-star break, since Houston is also in discussions with New York, Chicago and Philadelphia. ESPN mentioned that the Wizards might be interested in Luis Scola, but Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle reported that the Wizards are targeting Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry or Chase Budinger in addition to McGrady.

Link

Are you freaking kidding me? That deal better be damn good if the Wizards actually think they can get either Brooks or Landry.

Edited by Dash