Amar'e Leaning Towards Not Opting Out

Amar'e Stoudemire said he's leaning toward not opting out of his contract this summer. Unless he were to sign an extension before then, that would mean he would put off his free agency until the summer of 2011.

"I can opt out this summer or I can opt in, which means I'll be back another year (for $17.69 million)," said Stoudemire.

"That's definitely an option. I'm leaning more toward that right now. Maybe opting in. ... (That would be to) buy time. See how we do. ... I think we got our game back on track. A three-game winning streak."

Stoudemire believes the chances of him being moved are "50-50."

Stoudemire and his agent, Happy Walters, have been in talks with the Suns about a contract extension.

"I'm pretty sure they're going to offer a deal here pretty soon," Stoudemire said.

If Stoudemire doesn't opt out, there would be the risk a new Collective Bargaining Agreement for 2011-12 would limit what type of contract he could get. Still, it would be hard in this uncertain economy to walk away from more than $17 million.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64457/20100204/amare_leaning_towards_not_opting_out/

What do you think Amare will do? Will he opt out of his contract, leaving guarnteed money on the table, and risk falling through the cracks a bit as teams go after LeBron, Wade, Bosh and even Joe Johnson? Or will he take the guarnteed money?

He will definitely get a max, or close to it, for 6 years from the Knicks if he wants it.

I am almost certain Amare will be in a Knicks uniform in 2011, dude is probably trynna create a buzz for himself still :rolleyes: You hardly see Wade or LeBron, or even Bosh himself talking about it, but Amare is commenting on his contractual status every other day. Dude should just shut up and play the type of basketball he did 2 seasons ago.