Grizzlies count on Darrell Arthur off bench

La Bomba

Forward Darrell Arthur is expected to return today following a four-month absence because of surgery to repair a partially torn right pectoralis muscle. But even Arthur wants fans to remain cautiously optimistic about his immediate impact.

The 6-9 second-year player will be a big addition in small doses.

"I'm a little rusty, so I'm not sure how much I'll play at first," said Arthur, who is supposed to see limited action tonight against the Atlanta Hawks. "But my goal is to give Z-Bo (Zach Randolph) some rest and bring some energy off the bench."

Griz coach Lionel Hollins is looking forward to adding Arthur's length, athleticism and scoring ability to his reserves. Arthur originally figured big in the Grizzlies' plans -- so much that owner Michael Heisley passed on bringing back established power forward Hakim Warrick.

However, Arthur's emergence stalled when he was injured lifting weights in October and required a surgical procedure uncommon to basketball players. His absence left a huge void on the Grizzlies' bench, which has mostly failed to provide consistent help at point guard, center and power forward.

"Darrell's an athletic four who can face up and make a jump shot," Hollins said. "It helps when you have options. A player who can come into the game and make a shot when he's open is valuable. He definitely gives us another body that I'm comfortable with."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/feb/09/grizzlies-count-on-arthur-off-bench/

Finally!