Should More Teams Use Advanced Statistics?

AboveLegit

"They break stuff down like you've never seen," Jay Triano said of the two men who are in charge of Toronto's analysis. "It's possession-by-possession, player-by-player, combinations of players, points per possession, where we're scoring, where we're not scoring, it just gives us another tool to help us get better at both ends."

I was reading an article on RealGM about how the Raptors have began using Advanced Statistics to prepare for upcoming games. I know some GM's use this to evaluate their team and help build their teams into contenders such as Daryl Morey of the Houston Rockets (looking at their roster, you would never think they would be contenders, but Morey puts the right pieces together constantly to ensure his team is winning). I think it's a valuable asset that all teams should use if they want to win in this league, what do you think?

• Owner

Different rosters ask for different player scenarios. Kevin Martin looked like one of the better players in the NBA when he was healthy and holding it down in Sacramento, but he and Tyreke Evans can't co-exist because Martin isn't a team player.

I'm sure advanced statistics will say otherwise.

And for the record, Houston isn't a contender, and they really haven't been since Olajuwon and the Rockets split ways. Same with Toronto.

Different rosters ask for different player scenarios. Kevin Martin looked like one of the better players in the NBA when he was healthy and holding it down in Sacramento, but he and Tyreke Evans can't co-exist because Martin isn't a team player.

I'm sure advanced statistics will say otherwise.

And for the record, Houston isn't a contender, and they really haven't been since Olajuwon and the Rockets split ways. Same with Toronto.

Ok, are you criticizing the use of advanced statistics because they haven't pushed Houston into being a contender?

And, one advanced statistic is the "how these two guys do together" stat. I suppose it would be quite accurate for Martin/Evans.

Of course. If you're a GM, you need to use as many sources as possible to evaluate every player that can play for your team. If you're a coach, you need to evaluate every possible scenario that can make your team as successful as possible.

Agreed wholeheartedly. No team should exclusively use advanced stats. All teams should use advanced stats in some context though.

• Owner

Ok, are you criticizing the use of advanced statistics because they haven't pushed Houston into being a contender?

And, one advanced statistic is the "how these two guys do together" stat. I suppose it would be quite accurate for Martin/Evans.

No.

And how would a stat like that tell you the impact of the individual player in a game with other teammates?

The best way to build a team is by using your eyes. You don't dive into a book of college basketball statistics to draft a player. Instead, you send scouts, and you use pre-draft workouts. Stats are nearly insignificant in that regard.

As far as raking in professional players that have actually had the opportunity to play alongside others for a few years, it looks to me like the Lakers haven't used a statbook for a couple of their players. Shannon Brown was a nobody with every team he played on until now. Trevor Ariza was getting pushed aside in Orlando and New York. Both have rings.

On the other hand, stats would tell everyone how good Smush Parker was with the Lakers, offensively (not that bad). He left, contributed nothing after that, and now he's not even in the league.

A GM using his brain and his eyes would've been able to tell that Parker, Brown and Ariza all benefit from the systems they are in. Trevor actually retained what he learned in Los Angeles, but given the role he has now (as a primary or secondary scoring option), he's struggling with his shot and would probably rather be back in LA.

Advanced statistics aren't so advanced. They don't stick the individual out on an island, like a scout would. Big difference.