Grading On A Curve: NBA Team Grades At The Break

Erick Blasco

With the season halfway over, it’s time to see which teams are passing this season’s tests with flying colors, and which teams still need to do more homework.

The grades aren’t only based on performance, but on expectations as well.

For example, the Kings and Timberwolves are taking remedial classes to help them for the future, while the Spurs and Cavs are taking the most rigorous championship-level courses in a quest to become valedictorian.

On to the grade book.

Atlanta Hawks: A

The Hawks are right on the precipice between being a very good team and a championship-caliber team. Either level is a step above where many thought they’d be. Josh Smith’s maturity has been the biggest difference maker, but Marvin Williams has quietly become a solid two-way player. Do they have the bench to survive an injury and will the starters and super sub Jamal Crawford be burned out come the playoffs?

Boston Celtics: D-

Kevin Garnett’s athleticism is sapped, Ray Allen is slipping, and the team’s depth is non-existent. Rasheed Wallace is even less willing to play in the post, he shoots far too many blanks, and his normally superb help defense has deteriorated from the beginning of the season. Tony Allen isn’t ready for prime time, and what did the Celtics expect out of lumbering Sheldon Williams anyway? Rajon Rondo has been the team’s only constant. If the Celtics want to win another ring, they’ll need a major postseason from Paul Pierce.

Charlotte Bobcats: A-

The Bobcats’ defense has been solid throughout and Stephen Jackson has given their impotent offense a shot in the arm. Can Gerald Wallace continue his miraculous season, and will Tyson Chandler provide anything to help secure the franchise’s first ever playoff berth?

Chicago Bulls: C

It took Derrick Rose a quarter of a season to attack the rim and stop settling for floaters. John Salmons isn’t a two-guard and couldn’t replace Ben Gordon’s lost production. Adding Kirk Hinrich to the starting lineup has improved Chicago’s spacing, shooting, and speed but for every great performance (like Chicago ripping apart the Western Conference playoff picture on a six game road winning streak), the team lays too many eggs. Chicago should be better than what they are.

Cleveland Cavaliers: A+

LeBron James was implored to improve his shooting stroke, his mid-range game, and his on-ball defense and he’s grown by leaps and bounds in each area. And nobody has ever had his combination of speed, strength, and skill. The Cavs have learned to incorporate Shaquille O’Neal, but Anderson Varejao has been the team’s unsung hero. They defend, they shoot the lights out, and they have the team’s best player. The Cavs are clearly the class of the NBA.

Dallas Mavericks: C

The team’s perimeter defense fell apart forcing their desperate but necessary acquisition of Caron Butler. Dirk Nowitzki still isn’t a good help defender, and Josh Howard was too flaky to be reliable, hence his being shipped out. If Caron Butler isn’t the answer, where does Dallas go next?

Denver Nuggets: A-

Carmelo’s been his usual spectacular self, Nene’s the most unheralded big man in the league, and the Nuggets have athleticism galore. Aaron Afflalo has replaced and exceeded everything Dahntay Jones provided, while Kenyon Martin does the dirty work on defense. If J.R. Smith stops whining and starts producing, the Nuggets absolutely have the goods to win the West.

Detroit Pistons: F

The Pistons’ continuity doesn’t work because Rodney Stuckey isn’t a smart distributor and Jonas Jerebko doesn’t set the same screens as Antonio McDyess and Rasheed Wallace used to. They can’t play iso-ball because Tayshaun Prince, Rip Hamilton, and Ben Wallace aren’t one-on-one players. The team doesn’t play hard for John Kuester, and don’t have faith in him. He’s the second straight swing-and-a miss coaching hire, while Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva have been swing-and-a-miss free agent signings. Sacrilege as recent as two years ago, one more strike and Joe Dumars may be out.

Golden State Warriors: F

Even with zero expectations, the Warriors find ways to embarrass themselves. Don’t blame the players though, they’re simply following Don Nelson’s orders. Blame him for an absurd small-ball gameplan, and Chris Cohan for letting Nelson run willy-nilly.

Houston Rockets: A

Chuck Hayes and Shane Battier have been non-scorers, Trevor Ariza can’t create his own shot, the team’s defense has suffered under the need to generate offense, and yet the Rockets are alive and kicking for a playoff berth in the West. Rick Adelman is easily this season’s Coach of the Year.

Indiana Pacers: D

The Pacers have no commitment to defense, and a team-wide shortage of athletes. Sure Danny Granger can ball, but he spends too much time on the perimeter and is too defenseless to be a premier player. A.J Price isn’t quick enough to be a fixture at the point, and Roy Hibbert is slower than a tree. The Pacers need to be committed to a youth movement that extends beyond Granger.

Los Angeles Clippers: D

Eric Gordon is talented and Chris Kaman is solid, but what else is there? Baron Davis’ performance—and interest level of playing for the Clippers—is sporadic at best. Marcus Camby continues to be less than meets the eye, and there’s nothing coming off the bench. The team needs a higher basketball IQ, and Baron Davis’ departure. That Blake Griffin guy probably wouldn’t hurt either.

Los Angeles Lakers: C+

They’re starting to round into form, but they’ve needed to be bailed out by Kobe Bryant too many times. Pau Gasol is getting pushed around like it’s 2008, Derek Fisher continues to degrade, Andrew Bynum still suffers from maturity problems, their depth has been compromised due to injuries, and Kobe’s dominated the ball too often. On the other side, they still have more talent than anyone else, including the Cavs, Nuggets, Magic, and Celtics. They know that Kobe can push them over the top late in games, and they’ve played with togetherness in his absence the last several games. If Kobe’s talent can merge with the team’s continuity, the Lakers will overtake the Cavs as the team to beat.

Memphis Grizzlies: A+

The future is now in Memphis. O.J. Mayo and Rudy Gay are growing up, Zach Randolph is playing the best basketball of his career, and Marc Gasol plays above his years. They still have to add an impact point guard and improve defensively, but the Grizz will be flashing their claws from here into the near future.

Miami Heat: B+

Few teams get the most out of limited rosters as the Heat do. The youngsters haven’t made strides, Jermaine O’Neal, Jamaal Magloire, Quentin Richardson, Carlos Arroyo and Rafer Alston are all over the hill, and Dwyane Wade’s had to carry the team all on his lonesome. Miami’s counting down the days until free agency starts—and praying that Wade is still with them when they rebuild their roster.

Milwaukee Bucks: A

How are the Bucks not a bottom feeder? Brandon Jennings’ quickness, Luke Ridnour’s court awareness, Ersan Illyasova’s shooting, Andrew Bogut’s post play (but only against subpar teams), and Scott Skiles’ perpetual demands for smart play and hard work.

Minnesota Timberwolves: D-

It’s a given that Kevin Love and Al Jefferson can’t play together, but everything else is a mystery. Is Corey Brewer a key part of the future? What to do with Ricky Rubio? And where can they find an athletic wing scorer? Three years of questions, precious few answers.

New Jersey Nets: F-

Devin Harris is the league’s least improved player, Yi Jianlian is the league’s softest player, and Courtney Lee‘s game is lost and nowhere to be found. Brook Lopez is okay, but he’s too stiff to be an impact center. It’s one thing to be bad. The Nets are embarrassing.

New Orleans Hornets: D+

The Hornets are still a team that relies too much on their point guards. Byron Scott needed to go so Darren Collison and Marcus Thornton could get more minutes. Peja Stojakovic and Emeka Okafor have been disasters. Hilton Armstrong gave them nothing, but the Hornets still have little frontcourt depth. It’ll be a major surprise if the Hornets sneak into the playoffs with Chris Paul out for another month.

New York Knicks: C+

The team lives and dies with Chris Duhon. When he’s shooting well, the Knicks’ drive-and-kick offense performs well enough to scare any team in the league. If he isn’t shooting well, the Knicks don’t have talented one-on-one scorers to score consistently. David Lee’s become a terrific offensive player and rebounder, but his defense is awful, as are most of his teammates. The franchise is close to purging itself of the mistakes of the Isaiah Thomas era, but signing LeBron James is a pipe dream and not a reality.

Oklahoma City Thunder: A+

The more Kevin Durant plays, the better he gets at making scoring points appear effortless. Russell Westbrook is an uber-talented running mate who is improving by leaps and bounds, and Scott Brooks has the team committed to defending, sharing the ball, and playing as a team. Last year, people thought the Thunder might be the worst team in NBA history. This year, they’re right in the thick of the Western Conference playoff hunt. The scary thing is that they’re only going to get better.

Orlando Magic: C

The Vince Carter trade has been a disaster as Orlando’s offense isn’t as sharp without Hedo Turkoglu as their prime decision maker. Instead of Turk’s ball movement, the Magic have been stuck with Carter’s timid drives to the rim, bad shot selection, and poor decision making. With Carter forcing the offense, there’ve been less touches for Dwight Howard and Rashard Lewis, Orlando’s true prime-time players.

Philadelphia 76ers: D-

Lou Williams hasn’t developed into the point guard the Sixers need him to be, Elton Brand isn’t the same as he was before signing with the Sixers, and Andre Iguodala isn’t a go-to scorer. The team misses Andre Miller and isn’t benefiting from Eddie Jordan’s almost whimsical rotations and game plans.

Phoenix Suns: B

Steve Nash is the eighth wonder of the world and the glue holding the Suns to a playoff spot. Their return to the run-and-gun stylings popularized Mike D’Antoni has helped generate an offense that masks their deplorable defense. If they do make the playoffs, they’ll be cooked in the first round.

Portland Trail Blazers: B

Brandon Roy’s surprising petulance and reluctance to play alongside Andre Miller set a bad tone from the start, and the bad karma has continued with a rash of injuries. Through it all, the Blazers have plugged away and would be one of the West’s eight playoff teams if the postseason started today. Credit Nate McMillan for getting the team to play with togetherness through a trying season. They’ll still need a low post scorer and post defender if they want to advance in the postseason.

Sacramento Kings: A

They’ve fallen on hard times after a hot start, but in Tyreke Evans they have the athletic star they’ve been searching for since the Chris Webber days expired. Omri Casspi has been a pleasant surprise, and the kids play with enthusiasm. What’s next on Sacramento’s to-do list? A back-to-the-basket player, and an answer as to whether they fancy Evans a shooting guard or a point guard.

San Antonio Spurs: D

Tim Duncan is graceful enough to continue to produce despite diminishing athleticism, but what has happened to Manu Ginobili? Richard Jefferson has provided absolutely nothing, Roger Mason hasn’t duplicated his 2008-09 success, and in Duncan, DeJuan Blair, Antonio McDyess, and Matt Bonner, the Spurs are lacking in frontcourt athleticism. San Antonio was supposed to be the main challenger to the Lakers in the West. Instead, they’re behind Denver, and perhaps Utah in the West’s pecking order.

Toronto Raptors: B-

The Raptors sure can shoot the ball. And with enough of an inside presence from Chris Bosh, and enough defense from Jarrett Jack and Amir Johnson, the Raptors have reared their teeth after a disappointing start. Don’t expect the Raptors to escape the first round though.

Utah Jazz: B

Andrei Kirilenko’s reentrance into the starting lineup has energized the Jazz. Their offense is crisper, and AK47 provides defensive length and athleticism to a frontcourt that desperately needs it. The Jazz execute their offense as well as any team in the league. In other news, the sky is blue and the grass is green.

Washington Wizards: F

It was embarrassing enough to expect a team jacked with perimeter shooters and lacking everywhere else would be successful, but Gilbert Arenas’ idiocy sunk the franchise to new lows. Caron Butler was having a miserable go of it before being traded, and Nick Young and Andray Blatche are too immature to realize their considerable gifts. The Wizards kept assuming that a defenseless, perimeter-oriented roster would ever taste postseason success (one playoff series victory over a mediocre Bulls team in six years is not success). Now, Ernie Grunfeld has to pay the price.

• Owner

41-13 at the break, on pace to winning 62-63 games despite Gasol missing 17 games, first in the West by a large margin, and they are 3-0 without Kobe in the lineup.

Second best defensive team in the league, also.

I don't get the C+ grade, I guess. Were we expected to win 78 games? If that's the case, I understand.

I don't really understand the Raptors having a lower grade than the Heat. Yeah, the Raptors have more talent than the Heat but its not like they were predicted to be that much better than the Heat before the season started, if they were even expected to be better at all. The Raptors were mentioned as a potential 5-9 seed during the summer, which is pretty much what the Heat were expected to be as well, yet you think that the Raptors, who hold a 3.5 game lead over the Heat, deserve nearly a full grade lower than the Heat? I don't get the rational behind that at all.

The Lakers having a C+ is pretty strange as well for basically the reasons that Real Deal pointed out. They may not have been as dominating as some people predicted them to be and run away with the league, but they are right up there with the Cavs as the best in the league and somehow they only get a C+? I'm not saying that they should get an A+ or maybe even an A, but a C+ is unfairly harsh is you ask me.

I know that teams like Sacramento weren't predicted to be very good this season and their young stars have looked very good this season, but I just don't understand how a team with the 4th worst record in the league is deserving of an A rating.

This was a good read, and you can tell that you put work into it, which I appreciate, but some of the ratings just make little to no sense to me.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

41-13 at the break, on pace to winning 62-63 games despite Gasol missing 17 games, first in the West by a large margin, and they are 3-0 without Kobe in the lineup.

Second best defensive team in the league, also.

I don't get the C+ grade, I guess. Were we expected to win 78 games? If that's the case, I understand.

No, but the Lakers were expected to be the best team in the NBA, and even better than last year's versions. Instead, the Lakers have needed how many game-winners? And the Lakers' two biggest threats to a title are 4-0 against them. They've just held serve. Nothing less, but nothing more.

I don't really understand the Raptors having a lower grade than the Heat. Yeah, the Raptors have more talent than the Heat but its not like they were predicted to be that much better than the Heat before the season started, if they were even expected to be better at all. The Raptors were mentioned as a potential 5-9 seed during the summer, which is pretty much what the Heat were expected to be as well, yet you think that the Raptors, who hold a 3.5 game lead over the Heat, deserve nearly a full grade lower than the Heat? I don't get the rational behind that at all.

The Lakers having a C+ is pretty strange as well for basically the reasons that Real Deal pointed out. They may not have been as dominating as some people predicted them to be and run away with the league, but they are right up there with the Cavs as the best in the league and somehow they only get a C+? I'm not saying that they should get an A+ or maybe even an A, but a C+ is unfairly harsh is you ask me.

I know that teams like Sacramento weren't predicted to be very good this season and their young stars have looked very good this season, but I just don't understand how a team with the 4th worst record in the league is deserving of an A rating.

This was a good read, and you can tell that you put work into it, which I appreciate, but some of the ratings just make little to no sense to me.

A lot of people thought the Heat would drop off considerably and the Raptors would be a middle tiered playoff team. Over the course of the year, the Raptors have finally played better but they have players on their roster. Taking away Bosh and Bargnani, the Raptors have Calderon and Turkoglu. Taking away Wade and Beasley, the Heat have...a lot of problems. None of their players besides Wade have been able to play consistently in several years, and hear they are fighting for a playoff berth.

The Cavs haven't shown any major holes at all while the Lakers have alternated from relying totally on Kobe, to not playing well because Kobe dominated the ball. Gasol hasn't played up to par, Odom hasn't played up to par, the bench has played worse, and Bynum still hasn't matured. They haven't played well and were blown out in three of their four games against the Cavs and Nuggets. A home win over the Magic is okay, and everyone is beating the Celtics.

What have they done to really say, "we're the best team in basketball." Second place won't mean anything to the Lakers. They have much higher expectations.

The Kings play hard, and they finally have athletes. They'll lose games, but they're progressing nicely on offense. I thought they'd be the worst team in the NBA this year (along with the Bucks), but have played much better than I expected.

• Owner

No, but the Lakers were expected to be the best team in the NBA, and even better than last year's versions. Instead, the Lakers have needed how many game-winners? And the Lakers' two biggest threats to a title are 4-0 against them. They've just held serve. Nothing less, but nothing more.

Right, but almost all of that can be placed on our injuries. For a team packed with injuries (Gasol's hammy, Artest's concussion, Bynum's knee once again, Walton's pinched nerve, and Kobe's five injuries), I'd say we're doing pretty good and on pace to the record we had last season (or close to it).

If Sacramento gets an "A" for having a .346 win percentage and having the fifth worst record in the league (tied with the Pacers, who received a "D"), the Lakers deserve at least a B+ for their play, considering all the injuries.

LA is 8-2 in their last ten games, third best in the league. Second best was Utah, at 9-1...and that one loss was against the Lakers, in Utah.

the Nuggets absolutely have the goods to win the West

Almost six games behind. They have a lot of catching up to do if they want to topple LA, and Dallas will be right on their tails as well.

The Orlando Magic analysis seems like it's a month old. We've been very good in February, Frank has provided something Carter needed. He's looked a lot more comfortable, also the shoulder injury seems to be feeling better for him. Not to mention Howard's touches have gone up.

Why then does Howard only have 9 shot attempts against Cleveland, and why does Carter shoot 4-15 until garbage time? A fluke game against the Hornets doesn't mean Carter is where he needs to be.

• Owner
Gasol hasn't played up to par, Odom hasn't played up to par

Odom is averaging a double-double (round his 9.9 boards up), and Gasol is at 17 points and 11 boards. Both are throwing over three assists per game. They are both playing as well as they did last year, minus shooting percentages...and if you take a look at the games Odom started, you'll see he's been a monster, especially in the last three.

In June, you'll look back and wonder why you gave the NBA champs a C+. I'm sure people were giving the 66-win Cavaliers an A+ all season long, but that changed once they ran into the middle of May.

Right, but almost all of that can be placed on our injuries. For a team packed with injuries (Gasol's hammy, Artest's concussion, Bynum's knee once again, Walton's pinched nerve, and Kobe's five injuries), I'd say we're doing pretty good and on pace to the record we had last season (or close to it).

If Sacramento gets an "A" for having a .346 win percentage and having the fifth worst record in the league (tied with the Pacers, who received a "D"), the Lakers deserve at least a B+ for their play, considering all the injuries.

LA is 8-2 in their last ten games, third best in the league. Second best was Utah, at 9-1...and that one loss was against the Lakers, in Utah.

Almost six games behind. They have a lot of catching up to do if they want to topple LA, and Dallas will be right on their tails as well.

Everyone has injuries though. As long as the Blazers and Rockets are winning games, no team has to right to complain about injuries. Build a team so that you can match expectations even with injuries.

Sacramento gets an A because they were supposed to be god-awful. Kevin Martin and a bunch of rookies.

A record is nice, but playing great basketball is better. Don't make the mistake of the middle-decade Mavs teams which had great records but never impressed too much with the why or the how.

The Lakers have played great without Kobe the last three games. Lets see if they don't miss a beat with him. They play Denver at the end of the month. Go win five of the next six games in impressive fashion and remind the Nuggets that they aren't in LA's league. Then I'll be impressed.

A lot of people thought the Heat would drop off considerably and the Raptors would be a middle tiered playoff team. Over the course of the year, the Raptors have finally played better but they have players on their roster. Taking away Bosh and Bargnani, the Raptors have Calderon and Turkoglu. Taking away Wade and Beasley, the Heat have...a lot of problems. None of their players besides Wade have been able to play consistently in several years, and hear they are fighting for a playoff berth.

I really don't remember too many people thinking that the Heat would drop off considerably. I remember reading that they would be a very similar team to what they were last season, with the possibility of being better as depending on how Michael Beasley developed over the offseason and how O'Neal would adjust to a full training camp with the team. The Raptors were predicted to be on basically the exact same tier as the Heat.

11. Miami Heat- The Miami Heat were unable to sign Lamar Odom this off-season but are still a playoff team. Michael Beasley and Mario Chalmers are both coming off very successful rookie seasons and still show more potential. With the Heat led by Dwayne Wade, the team is never counted out.

16. Toronto Raptors- The Raptors spent a lot of money this off-season acquiring Hedo Turkoglu, Jarrett jack, and resigning Andrea Bargnani. The Raptors are looking to space the floor with great shooters opening up the middle for Chris Bosh. They did draft DeMar DeRozan, a strong scorer at USC, but will this team have enough offensive weapons and, take pride in playing defense?

Source

(not the best source, but it was one of the first to come up on a quick google search)

15 Raptors

Should the Raps overcome their shortcomings on D to get off to a good start, that should hush at least a fraction of the incessant chatter about Bosh's future. If they don't, though, you can probably do the math.

16 Heat

If we were ranking the teams in order of which ones will endure the longest regular season, Miami would be a top-five lock with Cleveland, New York and Sacramento. 2010 must feel forever away for D-Wade.

ESPN Preseason Power Rankings

15. Miami Heat - Dwayne Wade is one of the 3 most talented players in the entire league. He is unfortunate however, to be stuck with the same issue facing Kobe Bryant circa 2005-07. For the Miami Heat to succeed, Wade will have to shoulder a load that no one player can carry for the time needed to be successful. Adding Odom would have helped Wade immensely, but since they we're unable to, Wade will be forced to rely upon a fading and often injured Jermaine O'Neal and 2nd year forward Michael Beasley who will have a tough enough time convincing the public he isn't insane.

16. Toronto Raptors - Hedo Turkoglu spurned the city of Portland to come to Toronto. Will Chris Bosh spurn the city of Toronto for greener pastures in free agency after this season? Hedo might wish he had stayed in Orlando before the season is over.

Associated Content

16 Miami Heat

Miami this summer preserved its cap space for 2010 but didn't do much to help Dwyane Wade this season. That means the Heat will be counting on a big season from Jermaine O'Neal. They will need to be patient with Michael Beasley, who reportedly checked into a rehab facility for treatment recently.

18 Toronto Raptors

The Hedo Turkoglu-Chris Bosh-Andrea Bargnani front line isn't exactly Bird-McHale-Parish, but it should be a formidable one in the East. Jarrett Jack will ease point guard Jose Calderon's load, and rookie shooting guard DeMar DeRozan is an impressive prospect. GM Bryan Colangelo won't be shy in trying to further upgrade the roster as he knows this is his last chance to make an impression on free-agent-to-be Bosh.

Sports Illustrated

Even if we look at the prediction thread that we had on OTR during the summer, 11 out of the 16 people that posted predictions had the Heat ahead of the Raptors while only 5 people had the Raptors ahead of the Heat. Only 1 of the 11 posters that predicted the Heat would be ahead of the Raptors were Heat fans while 3 of the 5 posters that predicted the Raptors would be ahead of the Heat were Raptor fans. 3 People predicted that the Raptors wouldn't even make the playoffs.

In case you are interseted, here is the thread.

http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/topic/5793-09-10-conference-standings/page__st__20

Just as many people predicted the Heat to be better than the Raptors, if not more, so I just don't see it.

You are right that the Raptors have Hedo and Calderon if they lost Bosh and Bargnani, but its not like that is saying much. Hedo has scored 12 ppg on 40% shooting this season and without the threat of a big man like Bosh or Bargnani, Calderon isn't nearly as effective considering he gets the majority of his offense off of screen and role scenarios.

I just don't understand how you have the Heat with a B+ grade despite the fact that they are tied for the 8th seed and are 1 game away from missing the playoffs, yet the Raptors get a B- although they are looking to be the favourites for the 5th seed. Yeah, the Raptors have more talent on the team, but its not like it is a huge discrepancy and even then, they were basically predicted to finish right around the same spot in the standings before the season anyways.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree because its not like anything I can say will change your opinion on the ranking and I sure as hell won't be chaning my opinion that the Raptors shouldn't have a lower grade than the Heat.

Same thing on the other teams as well. There is nothing that the 4th worst team in the NBA could do that would make me give them an A ranking because of the fact that they are the 4th worst team in the league. I don't care if they are young or what, that is something that I couldn't overlook if it were my rankings.

Again, nice read. I just simply can't agree with some of the logic and rational that you used on these rankings.

Regardless of what people thought, the Heat are projected to win 45 games this year... just two more than last year with the same team plus three veteran additions (Alston, Arroyo, Richardson). Your B+ grade is very, very generous.

And the Raptors and Heat are two different teams. Sure, if you take away Wade from the Heat, their record will drop considerably. If you take away Bron from the Cavs, you can expect the same result. The Heat are a defensive-oriented with offensive options meant to compliment the best player, while the Raptors are offensive oriented team with multiple creators.

And also, the situation for taking away players for both the Raptors and the Heat are very different. With a team like the Heat, their defense will keep them in games. With the Raptors, their depth will keep them in games.

Edited by Poe

Houston Rockets: A

Chuck Hayes and Shane Battier have been non-scorers, Trevor Ariza can’t create his own shot, the team’s defense has suffered under the need to generate offense, and yet the Rockets are alive and kicking for a playoff berth in the West. Rick Adelman is easily this season’s Coach of the Year.

He better be.

Why then does Howard only have 9 shot attempts against Cleveland, and why does Carter shoot 4-15 until garbage time? A fluke game against the Hornets doesn't mean Carter is where he needs to be.

Vince Carter Stats Jan vs. Feb 2010:

http://i45.tinypic.com/260bdjn.png

Compared to January his PPG are up by 13.8, and FG% is tremendously better. So I don't think it was just one fluke game, however it was nice. :)

Dwight Howard Stats Jan/Feb 2010:

http://i47.tinypic.com/29ayzkn.png

So far this month Howard is averaging 10.8 shots per game. And 10.5 in January. I wish he would get some more (I agree with you there) at least 5-10 more, but he's been carrying this team all year. So I'm fine with what he's doing.

All in all I think we're should deserve better than a C. I think we're a bit better than average.

good read sure theres gonna be arguements, but for the most part you brought up great points. just thought you should know that the hornets dropped byron scott early in the season, so its not his fault that its strictly point guards giving the hornets any help.

• Owner

Howard doesn't necessarily need 14-15 shots per game, he just needs to get the ball more, and pass out of the post. His offensive game is limited, but he can still draw doubles because he's an automatic dunk if he catches the ball two steps from the rim.

Howard doesn't necessarily need 14-15 shots per game, he just needs to get the ball more, and pass out of the post. His offensive game is limited, but he can still draw doubles because he's an automatic dunk if he catches the ball two steps from the rim.

True, but can you imagine Dwight with like 20 shots per game? And if he made at least half? Beast. I just have come to realize it's his team, but we also have other scoring options.

I'd give Utah a higher grade....since losing to the Spurs in the WCF, the past two years have been pretty absymal for the Jazz. To be this much better in such a tough conference has gotta be surprising.

Perfect ratings otherwise...is there such thing as F-?? lol....

Sorry for the late replies. Hectic week.

BFT and Poe, Looking at the rankings after a week away, maybe I did rank the Heat a bit too high. However though, the team has no consistent talent on it other than Beasley and Wade. Toronto has more firepower top to bottom than the Heat. Somehow, even with virtually an entire roster of either underperforming players, or at least players who have not played as well as last year, Miami is still over 500. I think that's a fairly impressive feat.

Vince Carter Stats Jan vs. Feb 2010:

http://i45.tinypic.com/260bdjn.png

Compared to January his PPG are up by 13.8, and FG% is tremendously better. So I don't think it was just one fluke game, however it was nice. :)

Dwight Howard Stats Jan/Feb 2010:

http://i47.tinypic.com/29ayzkn.png

So far this month Howard is averaging 10.8 shots per game. And 10.5 in January. I wish he would get some more (I agree with you there) at least 5-10 more, but he's been carrying this team all year. So I'm fine with what he's doing.

All in all I think we're should deserve better than a C. I think we're a bit better than average.

It's a much smaller sample size, and of course his numbers will be better---they couldn't be any worse.

The grades don't say that Orlando is an average team, they say that Orlando is having an average season relative to their expectations.

I believe that, but he still doesn't get enough touches. They ignore him way too often. Even when his field goal attempts are up, he's not getting enough touches. He's averaging 2.4 shot attempts per game fewer than last season, and he's averaging 0.2 fewer free throw attempts than last season. Those numbers are only partially made up for by an extra 0.2 assists. Your premise is right, he needs more touches.

Why did the Heat get a B+?

The reasons given do not really justify a B+ grade for them (Who will most likely be knocked out in the first round) but a C for the Mavericks (who are one of the few teams who have the depth and experience to contend in the West).

Grades are not relative to team's abilities. Those are what power rankings are for. Grades are to determine how a team is doing relative to expectations. Dallas' defense had fallen apart, too many players weren't consistent, and Dirk's defense had been just as mediocre as ever. In other words, par for the course.

I'd give Utah a higher grade....since losing to the Spurs in the WCF, the past two years have been pretty absymal for the Jazz. To be this much better in such a tough conference has gotta be surprising.

Perfect ratings otherwise...is there such thing as F-?? lol....

It is, hence the B, but the Jazz are still a team that considers themselves a top-tier team, which they aren't. So a solid B, but no A. If they keep picking up impressive road wins though, that may quickly change.

Grades are not relative to team's abilities. Those are what power rankings are for. Grades are to determine how a team is doing relative to expectations. Dallas' defense had fallen apart, too many players weren't consistent, and Dirk's defense had been just as mediocre as ever. In other words, par for the course.

Dallas has never been a seriously defensive team, at least not more so then offense and they are right around average for defense, which is where they always are. Im not sure if anything more was actually expected of them when their system has not really changed. According to insidehoops.com Dallas is 15th in overall defense (last season being 14th, so defense fallen apart does not really ring true). Maybe some individual efforts have fallen short, but some positions have also highly increased, as a team they are relatively the same though. In fact their defensive numbers are not much different from the year they went to the finals against the Heat.

Miami on the other hand is doing almost worst in every category from last season. What where their expectations for the season with a healthy wade? Was it really to do worse?

Improvements from their youth, Beasley, Chalmers, Cook, ect. Bringing in guys like Q-rich and an ultimate goal of keeping Wade happy this season and their expectations are for a questionable 7th-8th seed? Highly doubtful. They may not expect to be contenders, but right now they are questioning being in the play-offs.

A B+ for a team that is falling apart (which definitely did not have those goals set for the year) vs a C for a team that is a solid 2-4 seed in the West (which is definitely an expectation) and is one of the few true contenders in that conference is not a very good grading scale.

Edited by bravenewworld