Tyrus Thomas to Bobcats for Flip Murray and Acie Law

MJ23

With hours to go before Thursday's 3 p.m. ET deadline, here's some of the latest buzz:

The Bobcats, determined to add an athletic big man to their front court, are close to landing Tyrus Thomas in a deal with the Bulls that would send expiring contracts and a future No. 1 pick to Chicago, a person with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com.

While the source cautioned that the deal was not completed, it would involve Charlotte's only expiring contracts -- those of Flip Murray and Acie Law -- plus a future first-round pick. The Bobcats would have the rest of the season to evaluate the soon-to-be restricted free agent and decide whether to commit to Thomas long-term. Trading Thomas spares the Bulls the embarrassment of losing one of their best players through free agency with no compensation for the second year in a row.

If successful in landing Thomas, Charlotte would circumvent discussions between the Knicks and Bulls involving a swap centered around Al Harrington.

SOURCE :http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/20119740?source=rss_blogs_NBA

Trading Thomas spares the Bulls the embarrassment of losing one of their best players through free agency with no compensation for the second year in a row.

:lol:

Tyrus Thomas was not one of the Bulls best players. Derrick Rose, Luol Deng, Kirk Hinrich, Joakim Noah and maybe even Taj Gibson have all outplayed Thomas this season. Nobody would even think twice of Tyrus Thomas if he wasn't drafted so 4th overall. The guy is nothing more than an athlete who makes bonheaded decisions on the court.

Who knows though, if anybody can get anything out of Thomas it would be somebody like Larry Brown. Maybe a change of scenary will help him.

I like this trade for the Bulls though. They weren't resigning Thomas at the end of the season and managed to trade him for two expiring contracts, one of which may be able to have a future with the team depending on how he plays (Acie Law), although I wouldn't hold my breath. What I like most about this trade is the pick that they are going to get. Getting rid of Thomas for a first round pick that will most likely be in the 15-18 range is a pretty nice move.

I've heard conflicting reports though. Is the pick this season or a future? I originally heard that it was a 2010 1st but in this article it says that it is a future. Does anybody know for sure? If it is a 2010 1st I really like the move just because this draft class is pretty deep (not sure about future draft classes).

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I remember when Tyrus Thomas was a freshmen at LSU, Larry Brown told the media that Thomas should be the number one pick in the draft. And now he got his man, I think hes going to work real well with Brown. I like this trade for the Bobcats a lot.