LeBron says he does not get enough calls

Hero

Got this from TLN, thanks to Rhu for the topic!

"I thought LeBron did a nice job attacking tonight,” Cleveland Coach Mike Brown said. “I thought there were a couple times when he attacked … you see a guy turn his body, you think it’s a foul. Obviously it wasn’t called tonight. Not just once, not just twice, but a few times on his drives. You just gotta keep playing and go from there, but I thought he did a nice job.”

James averaged 29 points a game entering Sunday’s game and hasn’t scored fewer than 22 in the month of February.

Brown wasn’t the only one irked by the lack of fouls James drew. Sunday afternoon’s game was physical and testy and the officials let it be.

“I think one thing that hurts me is because of my size and my strength, I feel like I go to the hole just as much as anybody in this league, and sometimes I don’t get the benefit of the calls,” James said. “There were a few times I got grabbed, I got pushed, I got smacked, there were no calls.”

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/os-magic-cavs-sider-b-20100221

What do you guys think? :blink:

Does LeBron want every foul called? If so he gets more calls on O but fouls out instead of only having 1.5 personals per game. Goes both ways dude. He's the most protected player in the league in not having defensive fouls called against him. There was a story on this a while back and it was a total joke, LBJ had half as many fouls called against him as Jordan and Magic, and they were protected too. James whining about calls, pfft. Please.

• Like 1

Does LeBron want every foul called? If so he gets more calls on O but fouls out instead of only having 1.5 personals per game. Goes both ways dude. He's the most protected player in the league in not having defensive fouls called against him. There was a story on this a while back and it was a total joke, LBJ had half as many fouls called against him as Jordan and Magic, and they were protected too. James whining about calls, pfft. Please.

Haha, or when he wants every call on the floor to benefit him, but gets so upset when something is called against him. That just cracks me up. :lol:

All the LeBron haters will just add the hate, but if you genuinely watch the game and look into the calls and the context, you'll realize he isnt being babied like Dwayne where you touch the player and it's automatic foul. When LeBron is fouled, he is hit damn hard.

I don't dispute that James gets fouled hard and sometimes it's not called. The issue is fouls called against LeBron. Lowest in the league among high scorers with big minutes at 1.7. Which makes him the most protected player in the league. 35% fewer calls against James than Wade, nearly 50% less than Kobe. Which makes Bron's whining about calls a total joke.

• Like 2

All the LeBron haters will just add the hate, but if you genuinely watch the game and look into the calls and the context, you'll realize he isnt being babied like Dwayne where you touch the player and it's automatic foul. When LeBron is fouled, he is hit damn hard.

Yes he is. Not only does he get too many calls in his favor, but they let him get away with SO many violations (traveling, obvious fouls, etc.). Not even Lebron fans can deny that.

• Like 1

I don't dispute that James gets fouled hard and sometimes it's not called. The issue is fouls called against LeBron. Lowest in the league among high scorers with big minutes at 1.7. Which makes him the most protected player in the league. 35% fewer calls against James than Wade, nearly 50% less than Kobe. Which makes Bron's whining about calls a total joke.

There is a reason why he's in discussion for defensive player of the year.

• Owner

There is a reason why he's in discussion for defensive player of the year.

Because of his weak-side shot-blocking and steals in traffic? Stick him out on an island with a superstar, nobody else to help, and he's going to get shot on or taken to the rim.

Sky is saying that LeBron gets away with a lot of fouls on his blocks, the hand-checking he does, and the physical play he puts out when someone is posting him up (grabbing at their arms and literally pushing them out of the post with his other arm, he does it way too much).

Shaq is a good example of this. He wanted more fouls called in his favor, but he didn't consider all of the offensive fouls he was creating, massive elbows to the chest and throat to gain position, using his off-arm and driving it into a player's chest to prevent a block, among other things.

When you play football on a basketball court, you're going to get fouled. You're also going to create most of that contact yourself, and half of the time, it's going to be on you. The refs don't budge, so why should they do him any more favors?

LeBron, Dwight and Durant are the three players averaging 10+ free throw attempts per game. James is averaging nearly the same amount as Shaq did in two of the three dynasty seasons. He needs to stop the whining.

Because of his weak-side shot-blocking and steals in traffic? Stick him out on an island with a superstar, nobody else to help, and he's going to get shot on or taken to the rim.

Melo absolutely shredded him last week.

• Like 2

Stick any player on an island without help against any superstar player and they are going to get shot on or taken off of the dribble. It doesn't matter how good of a defender you are, there is not one single player in the NBA today that can stop a superstar player like LeBron or Kobe without help. The defensive player might be able to get 2 or 3 stops out of maybe 10 possessions, but more often than not the guy is going to get scored on or will commit a foul.

• Owner

Stick any player on an island without help against any superstar player and they are going to get shot on or taken off of the dribble. It doesn't matter how good of a defender you are, there is not one single player in the NBA today that can stop a superstar player like LeBron or Kobe without help. The defensive player might be able to get 2 or 3 stops out of maybe 10 possessions, but more often than not the guy is going to get scored on or will commit a foul.

I'll re-work that post and add all-stars into the mix, some borderline all-stars (like Danny Granger).

If LeBron had to hold Granger all by himself an entire game, Granger would light him up...but if it were Shane Battier or Bruce Bowen on Granger, it would be a different story (the younger Battier and Bowen, obviously).

I'll say this much: if it were the last shot of a game, the attempted game-winner, and you knew Paul Pierce was going to stop at that elbow and take a jumper...would LeBron be that one guy you'd consider putting on him if you had a choice out of everyone in the NBA? Would he be a top five?

Josh Smith, Gerald Wallace, Ron Artest, Kirk Hinrich, Aaron Afflalo, Shane Battier, Eric Gordon, Kobe Bryant, Brandon Roy, Ronnie Brewer...all of those guys are better man-to-man defensive players than LeBron James, and I may have left some out.

Josh Smith, Gerald Wallace, Ron Artest, Kirk Hinrich, Aaron Afflalo, Shane Battier, Eric Gordon, Kobe Bryant, Brandon Roy, Ronnie Brewer...all of those guys are better man-to-man defensive players than LeBron James, and I may have left some out.

Tayshaun Prince, Andrei Kirilenko, Mickael Pietrus, Trenton Hassell, Shawn Marion, and Trevor Ariza. So yeah, LeBron is not the man you want to stick on your enemy's first option.