Michael Beasley is his own worst critic

Poe

Miami Heat's Michael Beasley his own worst critic

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2010/02/25/21/heat.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.JPG

Disappointed with his effort in a ``disgraceful'' home loss to Minnesota, Heat forward Michael Beasley returned to an empty AmericanAirlines Arena hours later for some soul searching.

``Some people think I take the game for granted,'' Beasley said Thursday. ``But this is my life, what I live for, how I live. Anytime I feel something is wrong, I try to get my mind right, tune up my machine.''

Beasley was still stung Thursday by the Heat's 91-88 loss Tuesday to a Timberwolves team that has the Western Conference's worst record and is 5-25 on the road.

Particularly disgusted with his play, Beasley got back on the court just after midnight for a workout that lasted until about 3 a.m. Wednesday.

With a friend shagging rebounds, Beasley retook many of the shots he missed from his 5-of-18 performance against Minnesota, a loss coach Erik Spoelstra described as ``disgraceful.''

The No. 2 overall pick in the 2008 draft, Beasley has taken on an increased load as the No. 1 option in the past four games as Dwyane Wade recovers from a strained calf. After scoring 23 points and a career-high 30 in victories against New Jersey and Memphis, Beasley had 12 points in a loss at Dallas and 14 against Minnesota. He has shot 8 of 29 from the field in the past two games.

``It's hard to swallow a lot of games like this,'' Beasley said of his impromptu workout in advance of a two-hour practice that followed hours later Wednesday.

``It's hard to sleep with a lot of losses we've had. But when you, in particular, are the one missing open shots, good-percentage shots, that's when you have to think about it. You have to be hard on yourself.''

Heat veterans said the late-night work is another step in Beasley's maturation. Beasley said it was a recovery mission, one he has been on before.

``After missing all those shots in the game, I needed to come back here and find the basket,'' Beasley said. ``That's why I did it. I needed to.''

Miami Herald

Good to see that Beasley is working hard. He has the right mentality to become a superstar in this league, despite the false image the media has set on him.

Beasley is really going to have to step up tomorrow and the day after. There is some bad news that Wade may miss those games as well, though nothing is completely certain. I hope we can expect a couple big nights from Bease.

Edited by Poe

He's struggling a bit but I have full confidence that he's going to become a superstar. That's such a great sign especially for a second year player, especially one who had questions about his maturity level.