Do You Really Care About The 5th Seed?

Before the season started I was hoping and praying for the Raptors to finish in 5th place this season. When they hit the weak point in their schedule right before the All-Star break I was estatic that the Raptors were able to get a 3 game lead or so over the other bottom tier playoff teams in the East.

However, despite the fact that the Raptors have lost 4 games in a row (I think) and have seen their lead over the Bulls for the 5th seed all but disappear, I really don't even care.

Now I don't know if it is because I have paid very little attention to the Raptors over the past two weeks with the Olympics on or if I am paying more attention to the NHL right now with the trade deadline approaching or what, but I honestly don't even care if the Raptors get the 5th seed or not because the way that I see it, positioning doesn't really matter all that much. There is a clear cut division between 1-4 and 5-8. The top 4 in the East are clearly better than the bottom 4 playoff teams and the way I look at it, positioning doesn't matter nearly as much as the matchup that you get in the 1st round.

Take the Raptors play so far this season. Statistically this season they have played better against Cleveland and Orlando, the top two seeds, than they have against Boston and Atlanta, the 3rd and 4th seeds. They have managed to win a game against both Cleveland and Orlando and have merely a 2 point differential against Cleveland and an 8 point differential against Orlando. Meanwhile, they are winless against both Boston and Atlanta and have a 10 point differential against the Celtics and a whopping 26 point differential against the Hawks.

By looking at the numbers it seems that they matchup better against Cleveland and Orlando, who look like they are going to finish 1-2 in the conference, than they do against the Hawks and Celtics.

So this begs the question, do you really care whether or not the Raptors finish in 5th place this season or would you rather see them just get the best matchup for them in the first round of the playoffs?

EDIT: I realize the Raptors aren't winning a series against any of these teams, but they could be more competitive against some more than others.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

It is about match-ups, but I don't know anymore who the best team to face would be. Orlando makes sense, but Boston isn't playing well, Atlanta is a team we haven't faced recently and Cleveland is a team we'd lose in 4 or 5 but i feel most games would be close.

Either way we go out in the 1st.

i think Orlando or Boston would be our best case matchup. There is no way wed beat cleveland (id rather the bobcats get them) and ATL racks up way too many points against us. With Boston fading and Orlando being up and down, i think those 2 are our best chance.

I also dont see the top 4 losing in the first round anyway

• Owner

If you're not a top four seed, all you should care about is the match-up in the first round.

Now...if you believe you'll get out of the first round, well...maybe you should care. Cleveland would be your second round opponent if you end up with that 5th seed, so maybe grabbing the 6th or 7th gives you the best chance at getting to the ECF's, if you think about it.

Hope for the 6th seed. You'll play Boston or Atlanta in the first, avoid the Cavs in the second round, and have a chance at the ECF's.

With how well the Bucks are playing and how tough the Bulls' future schedule will be, 6th seed doesn't seem too hard to get. I am not saying the Raptors should lose on purpose or anything, but 6th seed does seem like a likely result.