Money > Winning

Universe

How exactly did they turn down winning for money?

I believe he's saying the players are more concerned with getting their wallets filled than playing for a winning team. Battie and Simmons could have agreed to a buyout agreement and started negotiating with Boston, who had interest in both of them.

• Owner

I believe he's saying the players are more concerned with getting their wallets filled than playing for a winning team. Battie and Simmons could have agreed to a buyout agreement and started negotiating with Boston, who had interest in both of them.

Makes sense, really.

You have to expect this, though, with the CBA issues putting the league in a bind, and the economy the way it is. There was a statistic from a while back, showing that almost 50% (or maybe more than 50%) of all retired NBA players need to find jobs within five years after their last game (I THINK that's how it went).

Makes sense, really.

You have to expect this, though, with the CBA issues putting the league in a bind, and the economy the way it is. There was a statistic from a while back, showing that almost 50% (or maybe more than 50%) of all retired NBA players need to find jobs within five years after their last game (I THINK that's how it went).

Well if Battie's spent his over 50 mil and Simmons has dumped his 40 mil then they are bigger idiots than I thought!

There were championship contenders beating down the doors of Bobby Simmons and Tony Battie?

Not to mention, it's easy to say that they just don't care about winning, but think about it. How much time would Battie get on the Mavs? More importantly, how big would his role be? So even if the Mavs won, it would be tough for Tony to feel like he was winning.

• Owner

There were championship contenders beating down the doors of Bobby Simmons and Tony Battie?

Probably not. Good point.

So even if the Mavs won, it would be tough for Tony to feel like he was winning.

Right, but I really don't think players care about that if they are in Battie and Simmons' positions. They just want to hold the trophy and sport the ring. If HOF'ers Karl Malone and Gary Payton could, they'd run to a team and play 10 minutes a game just to get a ring.

Not to mention, it's easy to say that they just don't care about winning, but think about it. How much time would Battie get on the Mavs? More importantly, how big would his role be? So even if the Mavs won, it would be tough for Tony to feel like he was winning.

The whole point of this is THEY stated they wanted to be on a winner.