Hughes joins Bobcats

Newman

The Charlotte Bobcats have signed veteran guard Larry Hughes to help with depth in the backcourt as they attempt to reach the playoffs for the first time.

General manager Rod Higgins announced this month they wouldn't sign Hughes because of his broken finger. But the injury has healed, and a team spokesman says Hughes passed his physical and could practice on Saturday.

The 31-year-old Hughes was traded from New York to Sacramento last month and then waived.

He'll take Flip Murray's place as the back-up SG.

Link

He was waived by the Kings? I just thought he wasn't playing in games for them.

As for impact on the Bobcats, Hughes is a 15 minute per game player who's going to be expecting double that amount of playing time. Like with Iverson on the Grizzlies, I think things will just turn sour very quickly. Hughes has never struck me as the player who just wants to win without playing a vital role. He seems more like a player who wants to play and win and get paid more than he's worth and if things don't go that way, he'll give up on playing hard for the 'Cats very quickly.

He was waived by the Kings? I just thought he wasn't playing in games for them.

As for impact on the Bobcats, Hughes is a 15 minute per game player who's going to be expecting double that amount of playing time. Like with Iverson on the Grizzlies, I think things will just turn sour very quickly. Hughes has never struck me as the player who just wants to win without playing a vital role. He seems more like a player who wants to play and win and get paid more than he's worth and if things don't go that way, he'll give up on playing hard for the 'Cats very quickly.

This is Larry Brown we're talking about. It's not D'antoni who has no idea how to handle egos. Then they got Jordan to teach him at least some humility.

But ya he was waived by the Kings.