Could Greg Oden Be The Biggest Bust?

My second paragraph doesn't contradict anything. I said that if the first or second pick isn't a franchise player, he's a bust. Bargnani became the Raptors' franchise C, Aldridge became the Blazers franchise PF, Bogut became the Bucks franchise C, and Williams has so far been the Hawks' franchise SF.

• Owner

The only problem with that is that a player DOES decide his own fate when it comes to the draft. He can play well in high school, well in college, get a top three pick and suddenly disappoint.

My belief is that if he's a legit top three pick in the draft coming out of college, and he has full control of how well he plays in the league...and he doesn't make the grade...that's a bust. Players gain weight. They slack off after getting their $4-5 million a year. They don't listen to coaches and want to play like a superstar. Maybe they just don't have the skills that transition.

There are many reasons why, but a player does control is fate in the league, especially when he's a top three pick and the team is likely going to play him significant minutes as a rookie.

If you suffer a career-ending injury, or an injury keeps coming back to haunt you, that's a different story. Maybe that's where you consider the actual SELECTION (or pick) a bust.

Michael Olowokandi is a bust.

Jay Williams is not because he could've been one of the better guards in the NBA, but the Bulls selecting him was a bad move in the long run.

I definitely agree with Real on the whole bust issue. He nailed it right on the head. Players that have had the chance to play, the chance to try and live up to their potentials but haven't, are a bust (Darko, Olowakandi, Kwame, etc). Players that have been hampered down by injuries their whole career aren't a bust in my opinion. You can't control if you get hurt or not. You can control how good you become by always working out, always staying in top physical condition, working your [expletive] off every chance you get whether you're playing out the last 2 minutes of the game or you're playing 25-30+ minutes.

I am offended. I only ever go for subtlety.

Besides, biggest bust belongs to Eddy Curry for his double Ds.

http://blackgaygossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/ed_curry.jpg

Touch it Dave