My list:

Kirk Hinrich

Thabo Sefolosha

Brandon Roy

Stephen Jackson

Kobe Bryant

Honorable Mention: Dwyane Wade, Arron Afflalo, Keith Bogans

I might edit this list later.

BTW, this is not counting Raja Bell cause of his injury, and Shane Battier since he's primarily played SF this year.

Edited by Poe

Grading defense only.

My list:

Kirk Hinrich

Thabo Sefolosha

Kobe Bryant

Stephen Jackson

Brandon Roy

BTW, this is not counting Raja Bell cause of his injury, and Shane Battier since he's primarily played SF this year.

Shane Battier has always been a SF and his defense hasnt been top 5 either.

I made the list in haste. He's a good shotblocker for being a guard and he's a tremendous defender in the clutch, or whenever the Heat really need a defensive stop. The downside to Wade's defense is that he'll take plays off. Then again, same thing could be said about Kobe and maybe Roy. Even then, his help defense with his ability to block, steal, and deflect should put him in my top 5. I'll edit my list.

Grading defense only.

My list:

Kirk Hinrich

Thabo Sefolosha

Stephen Jackson

Kobe Bryant

Dwyane Wade

List looks solid to me. You can throw Delonte West in there over Jackson.

Don't leave out Brandon Roy. He's one of the better defensive players in the league.

I'll add my list later.

Well, thing is, so is Arron Afflalo, and Keith Bogans seems to have done some solid work this year as well. It's hard to name just 5 in this category.

I haven't watched Brandon Roy that much this year, though. I know he is at least a top 10 perimeter defender, but has he really progressed as far as being a clear cut top 5 in his position among Hinrich, Sefolosha, Afflalo, Jackson, Bryant, Wade, Bogans, Charlie Bell, West, and Ronnie Brewer?

Also, I was reluctant to include Arron Afflalo in my own 5 because of the team he plays for. I doubt anyone would have thought to pick him last year, and I'm sure plenty would of have picked Dahntay Jones, who nobody even bothers to mention this year since he plays for Indiana now.

I think the team a perimeter defender plays for affects their apparent defensive abilities. Like Shane Battier doesn't seem to be the perimeter defender he used to be because he doesn't have the luxury of having Yao/Mutombo to back him up (though I could be wrong, and age might be playing a factor as well). Same thing needs to be kept in mind when grading a guy like Afflalo's defense, since he's got Nene, Martin, and Birdman. Roy also has had Oden on and off, Przybilla on and off, and now Marcus Camby.

Of course, that's not to say that they aren't top tier defenders just because of the big men on their team. I'm just saying it could be a factor and something to keep in mind.

• Owner

Battier is starting to suffer from old age. His defense was excellent in Memphis, and Gasol was as soft as ever back then.

I would say that Brandon Roy is closer to a Scottie Pippen than anyone else in the NBA. I said this about Granger last year, but he's falling off the map...just too inconsistent defensively.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201001080POR.html

He defended Bryant that game, and he was amazing.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200912200MIA.html

This was the second game a few weeks after the Heat beat the Blazers, and Roy switched over to Wade for the entire game that time around. I actually remember this one because I saw the interview where he stated he just tried to contain Wade and force him into bad shots. Also, Wade was suffering from back spasms a practice before the game, but they didn't seem to bother him for the first two quarters, where he tried to attack the basket. I think you'll remember that game.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200911160ATL.html

There was the game that Roy forced Johnson into taking over 30 shots.

I remember one where JR Smith was forced into 23 shots, shot 39% while doing so...and I think that was the game Billups was injured.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200911010OKC.html

That game above is where the Thunder fans were booing like crazy, because they kept thinking Roy was fouling Durant. At the end of the game, Kevin was 3-20 from the floor.

Roy is an excellent defensive player. Everyone benefits from a big. We could all say Rondo definitely does, especially with Perkins sitting up front as well (with Garnett).

As far as Dahntay Jones goes, I didn't see him as a top five defensive player. He's nowhere near Afflalo's level. Jones was a hacking machine, and he got away with so many hand-checks, elbow taps, jersey grabs and wrist-holding than anyone else in the NBA.

• Like 1

I think when a particular player is "forced" to shoot such a high number of shots, it's usually a product of team defense. The strategy was probably to take away Wade's [or insert best player here] options and force the best player to take more shots than usual, throwing everyone out of their rhythm.

There's still a huge amount credit to Roy, though, to first of all be reliable enough to put single coverage on such great perimeter players, and then force them to shoot below 45%, 40% (etc) while keeping them from getting to the free throw line.

You've got me convinced on Roy. He's definitely risen to a top 5 level. Could be a first or second team defender. I'm still going to leave Afflalo out as a close 6th or 7th.

• Owner

You've got me convinced on Roy. He's definitely risen to a top 5 level. Could be a first or second team defender. I'm still going to leave Afflalo out as a close 6th or 7th.

Well, I usually don't give credit to anyone doing a good job on Bryant, because most of the time, that "good job" is a product of team defense. I think Battier has done a good job, but he hasn't really shut him down at all. Ron Artest did once, but it was a fluke, and a lot of that was due to Houston's zone.

But Roy has done a very good job defending Bryant, individually. So has Arron Afflalo, and Bruce Bowen (when he was playing). I'm more convinced with Roy, though, even though Afflalo has been doing similar things all season with other players.

Defensive-minded players are impressive, but when you're a defensive-minded player that can also give the team 20+ points and run the offense, you're rare.