Defense - Top 5 PFs

Poe

Grading defense only. Be sure to post your own list.

My list:

Josh Smith

Kenyon Martin

Luc Mbah a Moute

Anderson Varejao

Pau Gasol

HM: Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Udonis Haslem, Chris Andersen

-May edit later

Edited by Poe

Scola is our center.

Really? Then what is Hayes doing guarding Jermaine O'Neal every time they play the Heat?

And why does every website I look up Chuck Hayes, including espn.com and nba.com, they label him as a "C" and Scola as a "PF"?

And 82games.com says that Chuck Hayes accumulates 41% of Houston's minutes spent at center, and only 1% at PF?

Really? Then what is Hayes doing guarding Jermaine O'Neal every time they play the Heat?

And why does every website I look up Chuck Hayes, including espn.com and nba.com, they label him as a "C" and Scola as a "PF"?

And 82games.com says that Chuck Hayes accumulates 41% of Houston's minutes spent at center, and only 1% at PF?

Thats what the sites say but from watching, you know since I watch every game, Chuck Hayes plays in the high post, Scola in the low post. Hayes defends the opposing person by skill, if its Tim Duncan and whoever is at C, he'll defend Tim Duncan, Scola does the whole jumpball thing, etc. They might be listed as center, but he dont play center.

• Owner

Hayes is a center in Adelman's offense. Centers don't have to play in the low post. See Mehmet Okur. Otherwise, Boozer is the center for Utah, and that's not true.

No order...

Josh Smith

Kenyon Martin

Anderson Varejao

Jeff Green

Pau Gasol

I can't put Duncan because Pop sits him at the center position most of the game. Chris Andersen splits time at both, and it seems like he's a better defensive center because of his athleticism. Power forwards match it, and because he's rail thin, he really doesn't have an advantage over any of them.

Luc Mbah a Moute was close to breaking the five, but he plays better defense at the three, although that's not his primary position.

About Anderson Varejao. To me, he's always seemed to be more of a pest than a legit defender. Though the energy he brings is really valuable to his team, I don't think he has enough raw defensive ability to actually stop anyone from scoring, or affect their overall scoring as much as many other defenders in the league. That's just my opinion, anyway.

• Owner

About Anderson Varejao. To me, he's always seemed to be more of a pest than a legit defender. Though the energy he brings is really valuable to his team, I don't think he has enough raw defensive ability to actually stop anyone from scoring, or affect their overall scoring as much as many other defenders in the league. That's just my opinion, anyway.

Well, I suppose I can say that Pau Gasol is only good at contesting shots because of his length, because otherwise, his defensive IQ is average, at best...and his physical defense leaves nothing to be desired for.

Varejao is a smarter defensive player than Gasol, and he's more physical with the opposition. He doesn't have the length Pau has...but if we say Pau, we have to say Varejao.

Hayes at the five is just a stopgap — he is definitely a power forward. He's also, pound-for-pound, the premier post defender in the league. You won't find many players with better interior technique and use of leverage.

And Poe, while I agree that Varejao is mostly annoying, he's really improved and has become quite a versatile defender. Plus, high-energy, high-annoying guys that can defend, hustle and fluster their checks a la Bruce Bowen (or even Rodman) are always good.

Hayes, Martin, Varejao, Haslem, and Mbah a Moute.

• Owner
  • Owner

Fan > Analyst.

And both Kevin McHale and Chris Webber, who played the game of basketball, acknowledged he has emerged as one of the top defensive centers in the NBA, a conversation they had 1-2 months ago on NBATV.

But yeah, they wouldn't know anything about how Adelman runs his offense, either, nor would they know anything about basketball.

You're wrong. I'll listen to people that are paid to watch the games and write about them, and those who have played in the NBA for years and have to analyze players after their careers are over, over a fan.

• Owner

That's interesting.. When the Rockets faced the Wolves, he was playing Center..

Yep, and I remember him defending Andrew Bynum, also...and then Hayes was holding Gasol just a few days ago.

But yeah, he's no center, he only defends them and wonders the court as a player with no position on offense.

And both Kevin McHale and Chris Webber, who played the game of basketball, acknowledged he has emerged as one of the top defensive centers in the NBA, a conversation they had 1-2 months ago on NBATV.

But yeah, they wouldn't know anything about how Adelman runs his offense, either, nor would they know anything about basketball.

You're wrong. I'll listen to people that are paid to watch the games and write about them, and those who have played in the NBA for years and have to analyze players after their careers are over, over a fan.

Ok bro, whatever you say, but he doesnt belong at the center position and doesnt play like one either.

• Owner

Ok bro, whatever you say, but he doesnt belong at the center position and doesnt play like one either.

Just a simple question, then I'll duck out of the debate for the sake of the topic: what other player on the Rockets would you rather have defending Howard, Bynum, and Perkins? Just curious.

Just a simple question, then I'll duck out of the debate for the sake of the topic: what other player on the Rockets would you rather have defending Howard, Bynum, and Perkins? Just curious.

Jordan Hill, Chuck Hayes gets torched by guys that are at least 7 foot, anything under he defends well.

• Owner

Jordan Hill, Chuck Hayes gets torched by guys that are at least 7 foot, anything under he defends well.

That's good. That's what I wanted to hear.

Hill has also played 13 games this season for the Rockets, 17 minutes per game.

So someone is defending those centers. It's Chuck Hayes. He does it today, and he was doing it all season long, before Hill was acquired in the deal.

That's all that needed to be said.