Yao Could Opt Out This Summer

Yao Ming said Saturday he was “not sure” if the uncertainty with the NBA's labor negotiations would lead him to become a free agent this summer.

Yao said he has not considered his options, but was noncommittal about whether he might opt out of his contract.

“I'm sure I'm not sure until after we discuss (it),” Yao said. “We have not started (to) discuss it yet, so I'm not sure, either way. I have to talk to my agent first before we start to decide where I need to go. If you ask my agent, he will say, ‘I have to ask Yao and we will start discussing it.'”

Yao's agent, John Huizinga, had no comment.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey has often said he expects Yao to be with the Rockets next season under his contract and has made roster moves with that in mind.

Yao has been running on a gravity control treadmill, but is not expected to begin on-court workouts until July.

“This is my favorite place,” Yao said of his preference to remain with the Rockets. “I have my home here.”

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/65635/20100329/yao_could_opt_out_this_summer/

He probably should because he will get a huge deal one more time before he gets hurt again.... one more major injury and this guy is done IMO.

On the contrary, I doubt anyone will give him a huge deal after this injury. He's better off staying and getting the guaranteed huge payday in Houston.

On the contrary, I doubt anyone will give him a huge deal after this injury. He's better off staying and getting the guaranteed huge payday in Houston.

I agree, teams will be reluctant to give the dude a huge pay day with so much uncertainty of his current health and ability to stay healthy. Getting that huge amount would be what he's better off with. Then if he can stay healthy and get back to his old form, then he'd be good. No one is signing a Fragile center coming off a major surgery to a big deal, regardless of who they are(in this case, arguably the best C in the NBA when healthy)

Yao is actually in a pretty tough position if you ask me.

On one hand you would think that the most logical decision is for him to not opt out of his contract this season and play out next year with the guarnteed money. He has to realize that plenty of people around the league are going to be rather skeptical about his ability to bounce back from this recent injury of his. Even though those rumours of this latest injury possibly being career ending was basically shot down immediately, I am positive that some GMs are still going to have that in the back of their minds and be hesitant to throw big money at Yao without seeing him play since obtaining the injury.

However, on the other hand, with all of the uncertainty surrounding the CBA it could possibly be in his best interest to take the chance and opt out of his contract. Who knows what is going to happen with the next CBA and it could very well be worth the risk of opting out of his current deal in hopes of landing that one huge payday. Even with his injury problems there is no denying Yao's status of one of the elite centers in the NBA. Another thing to consider is that Yao is an absolute marketing dream. If you sign Yao to your team you are guarnteed to see a ten fold increase in your fan base with the drawing power that he has.

It is definitely a tough position if you ask me. Do you take the safe route and just play out your current deal even with all of the questions regarding the CBA? Or do you take a risk and opt out this summer in hopes that somebody is going to overlook your injury history and throw that huge contract at you?

If it was me, I would probably opt out just because I know that somebody would throw money at me. I would find it extremely hard to believe that nobody would offer Yao a huge deal.

Edited by Built Ford Tough
  • Like 1

• Owner

Big men get paid. Yao's injury may change that for SOME teams, but there are bottom-feeders that will give him the contract he wants because, if they DO get the Yao Ming of old, they cash in.

Wasn't there a rumor about Ming possibly never playing again? I believe that was shot down, but I'm not sure.

Big men get paid. Yao's injury may change that for SOME teams, but there are bottom-feeders that will give him the contract he wants because, if they DO get the Yao Ming of old, they cash in.

Wasn't there a rumor about Ming possibly never playing again? I believe that was shot down, but I'm not sure.

Yao's goal is to play by beginning of next season.

I agree, teams will be reluctant to give the dude a huge pay day with so much uncertainty of his current health and ability to stay healthy. Getting that huge amount would be what he's better off with. Then if he can stay healthy and get back to his old form, then he'd be good. No one is signing a Fragile center coming off a major surgery to a big deal, regardless of who they are(in this case, arguably the best C in the NBA when healthy)

Yao isnt fragile, hes injury prone, but not fragile.

Yao isnt fragile, hes injury prone, but not fragile.

What's the difference? Call it whatever you want, teams aren't going to want to throw a max deal at a guy who's "injury prone" or "fragile" especially with the names out there this off-season.

What's the difference? Call it whatever you want, teams aren't going to want to throw a max deal at a guy who's "injury prone" or "fragile" especially with the names out there this off-season.

Thats better for the Rockets, when Yao is healthy he is the best center easily, shame hes 7'6.

Yao is actually in a pretty tough position if you ask me.

On one hand you would think that the most logical decision is for him to not opt out of his contract this season and play out next year with the guarnteed money. He has to realize that plenty of people around the league are going to be rather skeptical about his ability to bounce back from this recent injury of his. Even though those rumours of this latest injury possibly being career ending was basically shot down immediately, I am positive that some GMs are still going to have that in the back of their minds and be hesitant to throw big money at Yao without seeing him play since obtaining the injury.

However, on the other hand, with all of the uncertainty surrounding the CBA it could possibly be in his best interest to take the chance and opt out of his contract. Who knows what is going to happen with the next CBA and it could very well be worth the risk of opting out of his current deal in hopes of landing that one huge payday. Even with his injury problems there is no denying Yao's status of one of the elite centers in the NBA. Another thing to consider is that Yao is an absolute marketing dream. If you sign Yao to your team you are guarnteed to see a ten fold increase in your fan base with the drawing power that he has.

It is definitely a tough position if you ask me. Do you take the safe route and just play out your current deal even with all of the questions regarding the CBA? Or do you take a risk and opt out this summer in hopes that somebody is going to overlook your injury history and throw that huge contract at you?

If it was me, I would probably opt out just because I know that somebody would throw money at me. I would find it extremely hard to believe that nobody would offer Yao a huge deal.

Don't forget that Yao is a HUGE cashcow, chinese fans and the media will follow the guy wherever he goes. I don't think there is any way Les will let him walk unless the offers are downright ridiculous.

Personally I think he owes it to the city of Houston and the organization for sticking with him through thick and thin. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted a larger contract but that is how I feel as a fan after watching him go down every damn season.

Yao wants to get paid but he also wants to win, he can't do that with a bottom feeder.

• Owner

Don't forget that Yao is a HUGE cashcow, chinese fans and the media will follow the guy wherever he goes. I don't think there is any way Les will let him walk unless the offers are downright ridiculous.

Personally I think he owes it to the city of Houston and the organization for sticking with him through thick and thin. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted a larger contract but that is how I feel as a fan after watching him go down every damn season.

Yao wants to get paid but he also wants to win, he can't do that with a bottom feeder.

The Clippers are considered a bottom-feeder. You don't think they would win with a trio of Yao, Griffin and Gordon? Same with the Nets and Yao, Harris and Lopez (who can play power forward).

Bottom-feeders can become legit threats in the playoffs just by adding a healthy Yao Ming, especially when they already have the guard(s) to compliment him.

Don't forget that Yao is a HUGE cashcow, chinese fans and the media will follow the guy wherever he goes.

I mentioned that in that post you quoted.

Another thing to consider is that Yao is an absolute marketing dream. If you sign Yao to your team you are guarnteed to see a ten fold increase in your fan base with the drawing power that he has.

I didn't exactly call him a cashcow or anything like that, but that was basically the point I was trying to get across with those two sentences.

In regards to the talk about Yao wanting to win, if you think about it, any team that would pursue Yao would most likely become a playoff team with the acquisition of Yao. If the Clippers were to sign him they would have a great core of Yao/Griffin/Gordon with players like Chris Kaman and Baron Davis as well. Not to mention a top 10 pick in this years draft which could end up being a nice piece as well. If they get Yao I don't see how they wouldn't be considered a team capable of winning it all (assuming Yao doesn't miss half the year). I'm not saying that they would win it all but I could see it as a possibility. This team would have a pretty large window of competitiveness as well.