Belief Growing LeBron Will Re-Sign

LeBron James still plans to become a free agent and test the waters on July 1, but Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer writes that sentiment is growing that he'll ultimately re-sign with the Cavaliers.

Cleveland will soon end the season with the NBA's best record for the second straight year and LeBron is closing in on his second consecutive MVP award.

Windhorst writes that the vibe coming out of LeBron's camp, which was previously neutral, is starting to hint that the superstar will stay in Cleveland.

"I have never been so sure that he's going to stay in Cleveland than I am right now," one source close to James said.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/65904/20100411/belief_growing_lebron_will_re_sign/

If they win the title, he will leave because he got the city a championship.

If they lose, he will leave because they gave him a lot of support but they could still not get the job done.

That's what Michael Wilbon said on PTI a while ago. Seems kinda true, but I doubt it. For now, I think he will either re-sign or go to the Nets.

I think it is pretty obvious he will re-sign for 3 years, it just makes too much sense. There are 2 pretty obvious reasons to me he will re-sign short term:

1. He said he 'won't stop' until he brings a title to the city of Cleveland, he knows that he will have at least one in the next 4 years (3 after this one as well).

2. He filed the information to change his number next year, if anything screamed RE-SIGN, this was it

Like said above though, I think it is a whole different ball game if the Cavs win the title this year.

even if he doesnt win, this team is good enough to win maybe next year --- there are a few cases where a team wins in one go after they make big deals (ray allen ,kg) but shaq said before that all the championship teams he's been on usually took at least 2 years to accomplish the goal - so with jamison being a mid-season deal and all maybe it might just take one more season to get it right (IF they dont win this year) but this team is built to win at least 1 or 2..all depends on everyone not named lebron..if they play like they did in regular season or choke again in the playoffs like last year

the heart passion chemistry dedication etc. etc. all seems to be in place from what i see this year..they are the hungriest team in the NBA and LeBron is starving for that ring (this might be his best chance...if miami pulls of some big moves and chicago pulls of some good moves in the off season then the cavs run might not last too long)

Theres no way he would leave a championship team.

The lack of a championship is the only thing keeping him in CLE as far as I am concerned, he doesn't want to leave this team empty handed, but I do agree in a sense because I think he is re-signing for 3 years either way. I think if he WAS to leave, it would be if they won the title this year, he will not leave Cleveland without a title.

The lack of a championship is the only thing keeping him in CLE as far as I am concerned, he doesn't want to leave this team empty handed, but I do agree in a sense because I think he is re-signing for 3 years either way. I think if he WAS to leave, it would be if they won the title this year, he will not leave Cleveland without a title.

Why would you leave a team that you just won the championship with and give you more money than any other team?

It's simple. Everybody knows the formula. Cavs succeed to make the Finals, LeBron stays. Cavs fail, LeBron leaves.

So we lose in the ECF in Game 7, then LeBron jumps to New York to play with Chris Bosh and......? And that's a guarantee to win the title?

Meanwhile, he's leaving his home, Shaq, Mo, Antawn, Delonte, Z, Andy, and god knows else on that team. His four horsemen live there, his family is situated there, and he has the whole city on his shoulders. Go to NY, he's still below the Yankees. And then, look at our future. We have the best management, have prospects in JJ and youngsters in Telfair, Boobie, and some huge foreign investments which allow us to offer LeBron the most money of any team.

Besides, I'm calling it right now. The Cavs are winning the finals. With Shaq and LeBron, you can't beat that combination. And if you question LeBron's mental desire to win after what he's been through in the playoffs the last four year, then you're in for something this June.

btw people, he's not going to the Nets. Why would he want to play in New Jersey for two years? He wants to play in Brooklyn, and that's not the immediate situation. He'll sign short term with Cleveland, go to the Nets if any.

It's Knicks or Cavs end of story. He can leave and I'd respect it because he won a title in Cleveland if that's the case. If I was him though, I'm not leaving Cleveland.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

So we lose in the ECF in Game 7, then LeBron jumps to New York to play with Chris Bosh and......? And that's a guarantee to win the title?

Meanwhile, he's leaving his home, Shaq, Mo, Antawn, Delonte, Z, Andy, and god knows else on that team. His four horsemen live there, his family is situated there, and he has the whole city on his shoulders. Go to NY, he's still below the Yankees. And then, look at our future. We have the best management, have prospects in JJ and youngsters in Telfair, Boobie, and some huge foreign investments which allow us to offer LeBron the most money of any team.

Besides, I'm calling it right now. The Cavs are winning the finals. With Shaq and LeBron, you can't beat that combination. And if you question LeBron's mental desire to win after what he's been through in the playoffs the last four year, then you're in for something this June.

That'll be 2 years in a row that his teammates let him down when it matters. You think he wants to go for round three with an even older Shaq and Z? If he's got a shot to head over to Chicago or the Nets he will, assuming you guys lose in the ECF.

That'll be 2 years in a row that his teammates let him down when it matters. You think he wants to go for round three with an even older Shaq and Z? If he's got a shot to head over to Chicago or the Nets he will, assuming you guys lose in the ECF.

Teammates let him down? You are beating on the Mo factor. I highly doubt Shaquille O'Neal will let him down. I highly doubt Mo will (look at his stats against elite teams from this and last year/this is his second year in the playoffs. besides Parker, now all starters have worthy playoff experience). I highly doubt Antawn Jamison will let him down. Do people even realize how badly Jamison wants a title? He is going to show up.

And Shaq's played half the season. Z is only what, 34? Besides, Shaq said two years when he signed. Verajao is starter quality and JJ's a stud anyways, and there's the offseason, so next year's not a concern yet.

And he's not going to Chicago and he's not going to play in New Jersey because that's not Brooklyn yet.

Derrick Rose is the point guard. LeBron needs to play with a guy like Joe Johnson or Bosh so he can be point forward.

If he wins a title for the city this year, I'd be mad, definitely miserable if he left, but I couldn't blame him.

btw people, he's not going to the Nets. Why would he want to play in New Jersey for two years? He wants to play in Brooklyn, and that's not the immediate situation. He'll sign short term with Cleveland, go to the Nets if any.

It's Knicks or Cavs end of story. He can leave and I'd respect it because he won a title in Cleveland if that's the case. If I was him though, I'm not leaving Cleveland.

There are other teams that have the cap space other than New York. Besides, New York has one of the most cap spaces in one of the biggest free agencies in sports history, so their team can look like anything next year.

I don't know if you realize, but the Cavs are aging. Next year, Shaq will be 39, Z will be 35, Parker 35, Jamison 34, and Moon 30. Plus, most of the other core pieces have already hit the wall in their careers, and aren't bound to improve much. Mo, Delonte, and AV are 27 years old now or turning 27 soon.

With that said, if the Cavs don't make it past the ECF this year, how do you expect a team this aged to improve enough to win the whole thing next year?

There are other teams that have the cap space other than New York. Besides, New York has one of the most cap spaces in one of the biggest free agencies in sports history, so their team can look like anything next year.

I don't know if you realize, but the Cavs are aging. Next year, Shaq will be 39, Z will be 35, Parker 35, Jamison 34, and Moon 30. Plus, most of the other core pieces have already hit the wall in their careers, and aren't bound to improve much. Mo, Delonte, and AV are 27 years old now or turning 27 soon.

With that said, if the Cavs don't make it past the ECF this year, how do you expect a team this aged to improve enough to win the whole thing next year?

Verajao's coming off the bench and is now in 6th man of the year discussion. If you seriously think he hasn't improved and doesn't have anywhere else to go then you are too stuck up with hating the Cavs to not realize how well he's improved.

And now Jamison will go from 20 ppg to 10 ppg next year? I haven't noticed any aging in him, and I don't see how one year would kill him just like that.

And why do we need more from Mo? Every since we got him, we've had two 60 plus win seasons? What more of a ceiling is there? And same with Delonte....he's hit a playoff game winner for us, helped in Game 7 vs. Boston, and he's not 27 anyways.

Yeah, Shaq and Z are old. That's where JJ Hickson and Andy come in. And I'd assume losing seven footers constitutes picking up a big in free agency.

And Boobie Gibson. We are 12-0 when he starts this year. He's only 22 years old. People seem to forget he's there. Again, more talent for LeBron. Too add to that, you've got Danny Green, Jawad Williams, etc.. who have all brought their own and contributed. You are underestimating this team and coming to conclusions based on the people you specifically brought out.

-------------------

Again, why would LeBron go to Chicago to share the spotlight with another point guard who plays like he does. LeBron needs to be point forward in order to be the best he can. And knowing New York was there, why would he pass it up to go to...New Jersey? again, not Brooklyn.

You guys are getting too much into the aging crap. You guy think we'll be like the Celtics and just like that every man who turns 30 or 35 on our team will lose everything? And there's the offseason for improvement.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

Verajao's coming off the bench and is now in 6th man of the year discussion. If you seriously think he hasn't improved and doesn't have anywhere else to go then you are too stuck up with hating the Cavs to not realize how well he's improved.

And now Jamison will go from 20 ppg to 10 ppg next year? I haven't noticed any aging in him, and I don't see how one year would kill him just like that.

And why do we need more from Mo? Every since we got him, we've had two 60 plus win seasons? What more of a ceiling is there? And same with Delonte....he's hit a playoff game winner for us, helped in Game 7 vs. Boston, and he's not 27 anyways.

Yeah, Shaq and Z are old. That's where JJ Hickson and Andy come in. And I'd assume losing seven footers constitutes picking up a big in free agency.

And Boobie Gibson. We are 12-0 when he starts this year. He's only 22 years old. People seem to forget he's there. Again, more talent for LeBron. Too add to that, you've got Danny Green, Jawad Williams, etc.. who have all brought their own and contributed. You are underestimating this team and coming to conclusions based on the people you specifically brought out.

You completely missed the point. I said how much would the Cavs improve with the age of their core players. I have not said anything about Jamison averaging 10 less points per game, or denied how solid AV, Mo, or Delonte have become. Stop putting words in my mouth.

BTW, the Cavs don't have a whole lot of spending room this summer if they plan on keeping LeBron.

You said they will improve?????

I don't get what you're trying to say....you said the Cavs wouldn't improve with their age, so I posted about how there wouldn't be that much of a drop off.....

Dropping off, even by a little bit, isn't improving. I wouldn't be worried about a slight drop off if the Cavs win a championship, but if they don't... well, dropping off isn't going to get them anywhere higher in the playoffs.

Edited by Poe