Toronto Raptors 2010 Draft Discussion

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, Charlotte has emptied their bench in the game against Chicago and the Bulls currently have a 15 point lead. With Tyson Chandler leaving the game with an arm injury, it doesn't look like Larry Brown will be bringing in players like Wallace, who is nursing a shoulder injury, and Jackson to try and make any sort of run. Even if he did insert his starters back into the game, I find it hard to believe that the Bulls would blow a 15 point lead anyways.

So, the Raptors will be picking 12th overall in this years draft. I figured we could use this thread to discuss prospects who you think would be a good selection, fit, etc... with the Raptors.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do we need, that is the issue. I'm having trouble figurign that out. Bosh thing is main part, but here we go.

These three sites are these players at #12

ESPN - Patrick Patterson

DX - Patrick Patterson

NBAdraft.net - Hassan Whiteside

Just for discussion sake.

Epke Udoh could be a good selection. But this team has a bunch fo question marks I don't know where to start. I don't know if wings is an issue, but grabbing one isn't a bad idea.

So the Raptors are going to be drafting Evan Turner.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee13/BFT11/untitled-3.jpg?t=1271301856

:) :) :) :D :) :) :)

Funnily enough, this was the first time I ran the mock simulator.

On a serious note though, does anybody else find it funny that no matter what happens, the Raptors always draft Patrick Patterson (unless they move into the top 3) when you run this? It doesn't matter what happens in front of them, the Raptors always end up with Patterson. Guys like Monroe, Whitesode, Aldrich and Udoh always shift between 8-11 but Patterson is always picked by the Raptors at 12. If a team behind Toronto moves up (Houston or Memphis) Patterson falls to 13 so that Toronto can pick him.

Is this a sign? :o

Cole Aldrich I guess would make the most sense at 12. Maybe Hassan Whiteside but he's a project. If Xavier Henry is there I'd give him a look as well. How's your PG situation?

PG is the most awkward but this draft sucks beyond beliefs with them so i doubt BC does much there. We have Jose, Jack and Banks and the most likely to be gone is Jose though Banks will expire after next season. The two best fits for this team may be the two guys I saw play 30 plus games in college last year in X and Cole.

^Wouldn't a center make more sense so Bosh can be re-signed and play with a real center, not a shooting guard in a centers body?

Why yes, it would. :)

Seriously though, take the best player available if you are keeping the pick, which I doubt Colangelo does as he will probably trade the pick in his attempt, and inevitable failure, at another quick fix.

If Hassan Whiteside is the best prospect available, pick him.

If Patrick Patterson is the best prospect available, pick him.

If Cole Aldrich is the best propsect available, pick him.

If Al-Farouq Aminu is the best prospect available, pick him.

If Greg Monroe is the best prospect available, pick him.

If Xavier Henry is the best prospect available, pick him.

I think you get my point, lol.

This team simply doesn't have enough overall talent to pick need over talent. The only position that they shouldn't pick is a power forward, and that is only if Bosh assures them that he will be re-signing.

If the Raptors got John Wall, nice. Another thing is we are now tied for 12th with Memphis, I don't know what the tie breaker is.

Coin flip.

Normally the 12th place team has a 0.7% chance of winning the lottery and the 13th place team has a 0.6% chance of winning the lottery.

However, when the 12th and 13th place teams have the same record, the chances of them winning the lottery is 0.65% for the both of them. If neither of these teams win the lottery, then a coin clip is used to determine who picks at 12 and who picks at 13.

This is what happened last season between the Nets and the Bucks. They both had a 34-48 record and since neither of them won the lottery, a coin flip was won by the Bucks, which resulted in them getting the 10th pick and the Nets settling for the 11th pick.

So the Raptors could very wll end up with the 13th pick instead of the 12th pick like we all had anticipated. I completely forgot about the tie breaker being a coin flip, and not it being based on the season series between the two teams.

Not sure how much a difference between 12th and 13th would be, but who knows.

Marginal at best. It is basically like asking who the better player is between Ekpe Udoh, Patrick Patterson, Hassan Whiteside, Daniel Orton (I think he might be worth the gamble actually), Paul George, Xavier Henry, Jan Vesely and Donatas Motiejunas. Can you honestly say that between this group of players that one clearly stands out more than the others or one doesn't belong with the others?

I guess you could say that Orton doesn't really belong based on his play this season, but I am intrigued by him. He was a bit of a homer pick for me, but other than him, you get my point.

An interesting question comes up when talking about the Raptors draft though.

How much should their approach to this years draft change if they know that Bosh is going to leave or stay? If Bosh stays should they pick the BPA or should they look to fill a hole and take somebody who would be a better fit on the team, but may not have as much of an upside? If Bosh leaves should they look to draft somebody like Ekpe Udoh or Hassan Whiteside to replace him even though Xavier Henry or Paul George might be the better players?

This is assuming that the Raptors somehow manage to convince Bosh to stay and retain their draft pick, which I find highly unlikely.

Trade it, Demar is enough of a project to work on we don't need another one.

What is wrong with having more than one project on the team, especially if the Raptors lose Bosh in the offseason and are going to be completely irrelevant when it comes to the playoff picture for the next 5 years anyways? I agree with you that they should trade the pick if they think that Bosh is gone (assuming they can use it along with Banks and Evans expiring deals to land a good piece), but if Bosh is leaves there is absolutely no way in hell that Colangelo should trade the pick.

Adding cheap assets like a draft pick is essential to a team that is going to rebuild, which is most likely what is going to happen with the Raptors. Being able to control a player like Udoh, Whiteside, George, etc... for the next 4 years or so while they aren't making much is very important to the Raptors considering Bargnani, Turkoglu and Calderon will be making $30M a season for the next 4.

So unless the Raptors are including this pick in a package for somebody like Iguodala or Ellis or a legit 35 minute a night point guard on draft day, there is no way that they should trade the pick in my mind.

What do you guys think about Paul George? I know that the Raptors already have DeMar DeRozan, Sonny Weems and Hedo Turkoglu that play the 2/3 spots and he might not be as good of a fit for the Raptors as a center like Whiteside would be, but I really like his potential. I think that he could become a Trevor Ariza or Nicolas Batum type of player. Acquiring an athletic defender who has nice length and can hit shots on offense would be an awesome addition to the team as far as I am concerned. Plus he is only 20 years old and still has plenty of room to develop and add to his game.

There are rumors going around that Atlanta is looking to sell their first round pick this season, which is the 24th overall pick in the draft. Do you think there is a chance that Colangelo and MLSE will go and buy the pick? I remember when the Marion/JO trade was made, Colangelo said that he would use the money that was sent to them by Miami to buy a draft pick to replace the pick that he sent to Miami. Then again, if I recall correctly, he used the money that he got in that trade last summer in the Belinelli/George trade. I could be wrong though.

Anyways, if the Raptors end up trading the 13th overall pick in the draft this year in an effort to land that 2nd option shooting guard that they desperately need, I think it would be a good idea to try and buy this pick from the Hawks and pick up somebody a guard like Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, Willie Warren (despite his issues, he is talented), Elliot Williams, Jordan Crawford or a big man like Daniel Orton or Soloman Alabi. There are more possibilities, these are just the first names that came to my mind in regards to players that might potentially be available around this pick.

Oh yeah, here is the link:

The message has been made clear to the Hawks: Offer Johnson a max contract extension on July 1, and they’re likely to keep him.

Sources say that this is the reason Atlanta is willing to sell its first-round pick for $3 million this summer, and the reason that they’ll likely offer no more than a three-year contract for $1.8 to $2 million a year to a possible Woodson successor.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsMx17pG_FxcLClpe_eKLYq8vLYF?slug=aw-brown042610