Toronto Raptors 2010 Draft Discussion

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nothing big but this is cool, props to stackmack

http://blogs.thescore.com.s3.amazonaws.com/nba/files/2010/05/Screen-shot-2010-05-31-at-11.27.33-PM-630x215.png

One of the things Avery Bradley was asked during his media session after his workout with the Raptors yesterday was if Corey Joseph or Tristan Thompson had given him a scouting report of the city. His response?

“They didn’t at all, they told me it was nice, but it was my first time here and I loved it.”

I caught up with Avery after his workout where he continued to praise Toronto for it’s beauty. When I told him that he reminded me of DeMar DeRozan during his initial workout last season, he told me that the Raptors had said the same thing. He also was happy to say he had an extra night in Toronto before flying out to Indiana for his next workout and that he was looking forward to spending some of his evening walking around the city.

With all of the drama surrounding this team at the moment, it’s nice to see someone who is just happy to be here, enjoying the city and enjoying each experience as he becomes one step closer to reaching his NBA dream.

Edited by BasX

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things.

First, todays workouts include:

Ben Uzoh (Guard 6ft 3) Tusla

Michael Roll (Guard 6ft 5) UCLA

Latavious Williams (Forward 6ft 8) Tusla (NBDL)

Devin Ebanks (Forward 6ft 7) West Virginia

Samardo Samuels (Forward 6ft 9) Louisville

Gani Lawal (Forward 6ft 8) Georgia Tech

:down:

Ebanks is the only player that I really have any interest in, and that is assuming that the Raptors buy a later pick and use it on him if they really like him. None of these guys are going to be the pick at 13 in my mind, and it definitely looks like they are working out some fringe 1st rounders to see if they like anybody.

Secondly, there aren't going to be any workouts tomorrow according to Matt Devlin.

Thirdly, here is a bit more on the Bradley workout:

I caught up with Avery after his workout where he continued to praise Toronto for it’s beauty. When I told him that he reminded me of DeMar DeRozan during his initial workout last season, he told me that the Raptors had said the same thing.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nba/2010/05/31/a-little-love-for-toronto/

It is interesting that they say this because we all know that the Raptors were in love with DeRozan last season. They went to watch him in private workouts and immediately had him come to Toronto during their first group workout of the year, much like they did with Bradley.

Also, out of curiousity, does anybodys opinion on Avery Bradley change now that it seems like Turkoglu isn't going to be back with the Raptors next season? I still love his game and want him here regardless of Turkoglu or not, but I know that some people thought it was such a great fit because having Turkoglu on the roster would make him be able to play off of the ball and not forced to run the offense. Without Turkoglu, that luxury is gone.

Lastly, here are some comments about Hayward's workout yesterday from Jim Kelly.

Gordon Hayward worked out for the Raptors on Monday.

“Gordon Hayward’s coming off a dream season, last year winning the (under-19) world championship, then almost being that Cinderella team (at March Madness),” said Jim Kelly, director of player personnel for the Raptors.

“He’s a great shooter, a great story, and he had a good workout today. He shot the ball very well.”

Kelly isn't sure what position will suit him the best in the NBA.

“Hayward’s a little bit of a puzzle,” Kelly said. “He’s a four, he’s a three, it depends on the system, it depends on his coach as to where you plug him in. But he is a basketball player.”

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/66936/20100601/hayward_works_out_for_toronto/#ixzz0pdALZs59

EDIT: Here is some more stuff that I just came across.

- Bringing in all of these guys, some projected much lower than 13th, is this a sign that the team is looking to pick up another pick: “That’s part of the strategy as well. We’re out there, and we think this might happen, that might possibly happen. So you bring some different kinds of people in and some different players, because come the last two days before the draft, you can’t get everybody in.”

http://blogs.thescore.com/nba/2010/06/01/were-talking-predraft-workouts-session-2/

There are also interviews and things like that in the link I just posted.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

According to Holly McKenzie's Twitter, tomorrows workout will consist of Daniel Orton, Larry Sanders, Ekpe Udoh, Jeremey Wise, Eric Hayes and Cole Aldrich.

I'm really liking the group coming to workout for the Raptors tomorrow, especially after yesterdays consisted of fringe first rounders at best. I'm really liking the fact that the Raptors are bringing in 4 first round talent big men to work out against each other. It should be interesting reading about how Orton, Aldrich, Udoh and Sanders do against one another.

Also, if anybody is interested in seeing video of a workout that included Orton, Whiteside, Udoh and Lance Stephenson, there is one posted on the Indiana Pacers website. It is only 2 minutes long or so, but considering you rarely get to see any footage of private workouts, it is worth taking a look.

From what I saw, Whiteside showed his length and shot blocking ability. He had a couple of nice blocks and he hit a nice jumper from the top of the circly over Udoh. He looked pretty raw when going down to the low block and he does seem to have the usual shot blocker tendancy of drifting towards the basket on defense, leaving his man in the process. He was probably the most impressive from what I saw of the short clip.

Udoh looked small compared to Whiteside. He showed nice athletcisim and finished around the rim fairly well, but Whiteside`s length seemed to bother him a bit. He missed some easy shots around the basket and seemed a bit nervous. I think that he will be a power forward in the NBA and not a center, but he is definitely talented.

As for Orton, one word can sum up what I saw from him; RAW. He looked confused on defense and I didn`t really notice him much on offense, other than a jumper that he hit at the beginning of the clip. I knew that Orton was raw, but if this video is any indication, he is more raw than I thought. It is hard to comment on a 2 minute video though, but after him measuring smaller than I had thought and now him looking very raw in this video, I don`t know what to think of him.

Last thing is that the Pacers are working out Bradley, Bledose, Jordan Crawford, Willie Warron and Sherron Collins today, so I'm guessing there will be video of that workout up tomorrow on their website, which should be interesting to watch. I've wanted Bradley and Bledsoe to work out with one another for a while now, so it should be good to see how the two do against one another.

Well, there is my usual daily post in this thread, haha.

Raptors workout today: Ekpe Udoh, Daniel Orton, Larry Sanders, Cole Aldrich. With Bargnani only big certain to return; Raps will draft one

Doug: I've been saying they'd draft a big for weeks, it just makes sense. And, no, I have no idea yet, it's way too early in the process.

Updates from the workouts today.

Holly MacKenzie's Twitter:

Jim Kelly: Larry Sanders was best runner of the group and had people asking on the sidelines if he had ever played the three before. #VCU

I was told the team liked what they saw from Ekpe Udoh. Not surprising, but as a fan of his game, I was happy to hear it.

Things I didn't expect to see today: Daniel Orton knocking down some corner 3-pointers.

Doug Smith said that Orton had conditioning issues

There are interviews up on the Raptors website, like usual.

Raptors won't be having workouts next week as Gherardini, Ujiri and Hughes will be heading to Treviso to watch the Euro Camp. I think workouts will begin back up around mid month, or a week before the draft.

Also, something else interesting in regards to the Pacers draft situation. This comment from a Pacer's beat writer was posted on MacKenzie's Twitter last night sometime:

@TheSportsGuy13: First impressions of guards at workout: #Pacers should draft Avery Bradley before Eric Bledsoe.

It looks like Bradley had the better workout than Bledsoe yesterday for the Pacers. It doesn't seem like the two of them will work out against one another for the Raptors so this might be the best we get from them.

Lastly, I posted this in the Draft Forum, but it looks like Donatas Motiejunas and possibly Kevin Seraphin will be withdrawing from the draft. Not that I wanted the Raptors to take Motiejunas or anything (I wouldn't have minded Seraphin with a late 1st though) but this sucks to hear simply because it weakens the depth of the draft. Without a potential lottery pick in Motiejunas, guys will all get bumped up a spot and if teams are looking to pick up a big late in the first, their options are going to be more limited considering having two first round bigs pull out of the draft will mean that guys like Alabi and Sanders may move up from late first round to mid first round.

Hopefully this doesn't ruin any plans of buying a late pick to get a guard/big (depending on who they select at 13).

Raptors enamoured with Cole Aldrich:

Kind of an interesting day around the old practice gym on Thursday because there’s a chance the guy they end up eventually drafting might have been there; for sure a couple of the big who worked out are going to be on whatever short list they eventually come up with.

From talking to a couple of people after the fact, it’s for certain that they are quite enamoured of Cole Aldrich of Kansas, despite a somewhat zany shot (more on that later), and the Ekpe Udoh of Baylor (who has by far the best name of any kid who’s been) also turned a head or two.

Daniel Orton unimpressive:

Not so much Daniel Orton of Kentucky, who didn’t seem to be in the greatest of physical condition. With him having only played about 13 minutes a year last year and having missed his final high school season with a knee injury, he’s too much of a long-term prospect to be anything but third on that list of three.

Info on next week:

And, while we’re on the topic, the group Thursday is going to be the last in these parts for a little while.

A trio of Henchmen (Maurizio, Masai Ujiri and assistant coach Eric Hughes) are off to Italy this weekend for the annual European prospects camp in Treviso (and, man, a wesekend in Treviso sure sounds good, doesn’t it?), a camp that used to be a regular stop on the summer tour of Jay and Marc Iavaroni.

And, next week, there aren’t expected to be any kids in here, a bunch of the staff is headed to New Jersey for one of those big group workouts that are primarily for late-first or early second-round picks. Not sure what they’ll get out of that but it’s just a little bit more due diligence.

All from Doug Smith's blog.

I'm glad to hear that they aren't too impressed with Orton. I liked him at the beginning of the whole draft process, but I have soured on him with each new report that is released. He didn't measure out as big as I thought he was, he looks extremely raw and now there are questions/concerns about his conditioning, which could be because of him missing his entire senior season and playing limited minutes last season or it could be a sign of laziness on his part. Factor all of this in with my original concern in regards to his knees, and I am starting to want no part of Orton at 13. He may be worth the risk if he falls and the Raptors pick up an extra pick, but that is all.

As far as them being high on Aldrich and Udoh, I like both of these guys so no complaints there. Aldrich would be a great fit beside Bargnani (and if Calderon and Turkoglu both stay the Raptors could have a 4 white guys starting :blink: ) and while he doesn't have the upside of a Whiteside or somebody, I don't see him ever not being, at the very least, a serviceable big off of the bench. Udoh may not have the size that Aldrich does, but there is something about him that I really like. Maybe it is the cool name.

Xavier Henry will be working out for Toronto sometime this month:

“It is going to be busy, but I am getting myself in shape for that,” Henry said. “I had a workout at Chicago. I’ve got Houston, the Spurs, and beginning in June, I will have the Clippers, Utah, Toronto, Detroit. Maybe Memphis. It is going to be a busy time.”

http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/may/spurs-leaning-towards-henry.html

That is about all I really found in regards to the Raptors and the draft. It seems like it was a pretty slow day in regards to all things Raptors.

Orton seems like a total bust to me... idk about Cole, but IMO he'd be a better fit for a big.

idk if it'd be smart to draft another SG/SF... personally I think the need is at PF/C unless a PG like Bledsoe seems to be worth that high of a pick.

Edited by NoLookShot

Considering our 2nd best big under contract is Reggie Evans, we need to draft a big man.

It makes sense to look at it that way, but as far as I am concerned, the Raptors should go with whoever they think is the best player available.

I could understand looking to fill that need if the Raptors were a playoff caliber team next season, but considering they are looking to be one of the worst teams in the NBA next year, I would rather see them draft a player who they think will be the best for them long term than miss out on somebody because they don't fill a short term need.

Drafting a big makes sense though and if the big is the BPA, even better. However, I wouldn't pass on somebody like Paul George or Xavier Henry (first two non-bigs that I thought of) if they drop to 13 so that I could draft somebody like Daniel Orton.

This is all from that same ESPN Insider article I found the stuff about the Raptors targeting a top 3 pick in. I just figured I would post this in this thread as it isn't relevant enough for its own thread like the stuff I mentioned in the other thread.

Questions about Daniel Orton's knee?

However, a few teams have privately expressed some concerns about Orton's left knee. While the issue hasn't risen to the point that a team would seriously consider not drafting him, there are worries his knee is still weak and might have some structural issues.

Orton tore cartilage in his left knee in November 2008 and ended up missing his senior year of high school. This past February, Kentucky coach John Calipari noted to the media that he felt Orton was still hobbled by the knee -- although Orton, at the time, claimed it was 100 percent.

While the teams that had the information stressed that the concerns have not scared them away from drafting him, they do muddy the waters a bit when you factor Orton's sparse playing time this past season and the fact that he lacks the production of other big men in the draft

There is also talk about the Jazz leaning towards drafting Greg Monroe (if he is there) and if he isn't, they apperantly will pick between Xavier Henry, Gordan Hayward or Luke Babbitt with Babbitt apperantly having an edge.

He also mentions that if the Pacers draft a point guard at 10, it is looking like it will be Avery Bradley over Eric Bledsoe.

I've kinda accepted the fact that the Raptors are going to select a big man. With that said, I am hoping that that Big man is Cole. I believe he fits well next to Andrea because he is a traditional C. I still have a feeling that when the 13th pick comes up that another team will be picking in that spot. Whether or not that means that we moved up, down or out I feel it won't be ours.

BFT has posted a couple trade suggestions involving the 76ers and the Cavaliers, if either of those go through, the draft board can change.

Couple of new things.

First, I found this video of a Sacramento Kings workout on Youtube. It was a workout that had Cole Aldrich, Ekpe Udoh, Daniel Orton, Hassan Whiteside and Ryan Richards together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh4cMkKiAus&feature=player_embedded

I absolutely love Cole Aldrich's shot. Man, that is a thing of beauty. :lol:

Secondly, Paul George will be coming to Toronto for a workout sometime soon, according to his Twitter account. My guess would be that he and Xavier Henry will work out for the Raptors at the same time. That would be a workout that I would like to watch as I would be thrilled with either of those two.

And lastly, Chad Ford released his 4th mock draft. He has the Raptors taking Bradley at 13. Other notables:

Cousins going 6th.

Haywood going 8th.

Babbit going 9th.

Orton falling to 21st.

Patterson down to 22nd.

Raptors will resume workouts this week. There will be a workout group on Tuesday and Thursday. I haven't heard anything about who will be coming in, but I would imagine that Xavier Henry and Paul George will be coming in one of those days. Both of them have said that they have workouts scheduled with the Raptors and I would imagine that they would bring in the two of them together.

Also, the Raptors will be holding a Free Agent camp on Friday and Saturday. I assume they will bring in some guys and offer some Summer League (if they have a team this year, which I hope they do) roster spots.

Might pick up another late first. RT @WhatLifeDoth: Have you heard any pre-draft Raptors trade talk? will they use their pick or trade it?

-Draftexpress

Possibly the Hawks pick? I recall them willing to sell theirs on the cheap.

-Draftexpress

Possibly the Hawks pick? I recall them willing to sell theirs on the cheap.

Colangelo said that he would use the money they received in the Jermaine O'Neal trade to buy a 1st at some point in order to make up for the lottery protected first that they sent to the Heat. There has been quite a bit of talk from Colangelo and the rest of management about buying another first. However, it is the same old story as every year there seems to be talk about the Raptors buying an extra pick and they never end up buying one so I don't know how much I believe it.

Last season I remember them talking about buying a late 1st to try and pick up Taj Gibson (I think it was him) but Triano didn't want anymore rookies on the roster so they never actually pursued it.

If they do end up buying a pick I would imagine it would be from Atlanta who has made it clear that they are willing to sell theirs, like you said, New Jersey or Minnesota who both have multiple picks or the Grizzlies who have 3 picks and said that they don't see them using them all.

EDIT: A bit of an update on my post about the workouts earlier today:

Just a little update for those needing a Raptor fix.

The team will resume working out players for the NBA draft Tuesday and Thursday.

Eric Bledsoe is expected to be in one of the days, but has not been confirmed. If the Raptors elect to pick a point guard, Bledsoe and Texas point guard in progress Avery Bradley should be the two best options on the board. John Wall will go No. 1.

The Raptors will also hold a free agent camp Friday and Saturday. The team discovered Jamario Moon at a similar camp a few years ago.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/courtside/general/raptors-to-resume-draft-workouts-tuesday-thursday-free-agent-camp-friday-and-saturday/

And Avery Bradley sprained his ankle and is shutting down until the draft, so it looks like I won't get that Bradley/Bledsoe workout that I wanted.

^Interesting but with the possibility of Bosh leaving, maybe Triano won't decide to opt against buying another pick, seeing as they could use all the talent they could get.

Also might want to add the Magic to the list of teams Toronto might trade with.

Heard you might be selling, Otis. RT @OtisSmithGM Any word on who the Magic will be working out? Any chance they sell their pick or move up?

-Draftexpress

Ok so, I know of some more names coming to Toronto for the workouts. As I already mentioned, Xavier Henry, Paul George and Eric Bledsoe are going to be coming to workout, but according to Chad Ford, Hassan Whiteside and Soloman Alabi are also going to be coming to Toronto for a workout sometime this week.

Avery Bradley was scheduled for a second workout, but because of his ankle injury, he won't be working out. However, he will be coming to Toronto for interviews and things like that.

And news on Colangelo trading for another pick in the 20's:

At the same time, the Raptors appear to be closing in on a trade for an additional first-round pick. Colangelo has called every team with multiple picks looking for something in the 20s, according to sources. He’s offering cash (the team can pay up to $3 million for a pick) to any team that doesn’t want to make a three-year commitment to a late first rounder. A few teams, including the Thunder and Nets, have said no. But teams with multiple first-round picks (like the Grizzlies) or teams trying to save cash or a luxury tax hit (see the Orlando Magic) are in Colangelo’s sights.

And, lastly, there is now speculation that Avery Bradley will be the Raptors pick at 13 unless somebody in the top 10 falls to 13.

Sources say Bradley may be the Raptors pick at No. 13 if none of the Top 10 players in the draft slip.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/16700/raptors-cleaning-house

EDIT: I found out the exact details of the workouts on Tuedsay and Thrusday:

Tuesday

Damian James, Texas

Quincy Pondexter, Washington

Hassan Whiteside, Marshall

Soloman Alabi, Florida State

Thursday

Xavier Henry, Kansas

Eric Bledsoe, Kentucky

Paul George, Fresno State

Patrick Patterson, Kentucky

Avery Bradley, Texas

Like I said, Bradley probably won't workout though, due to his ankle injury.

Couple of things.

Chad Ford released his latest mock draft. He has the Raptors taking Avery Bradley for the 3rd straight time (interestingly enough, NBADraft.net and DX both have the Raps taking Bradley as well).

He also mentions that the Raptors could give Paul George serious consideration as well.

Secondly, I think it is looking clearer and clearer that the Raptors main target if they buy another 1st is Soloman Alabi. They had him in yesterday and were apperantly very impressed with him. People in the organization really love his attitude and has a great head on his shoulders. It is quite clear that Colangelo wants to acquire a center so that Bargnani can move to the 4, and Alabi is one of the biggest players in this class. Lastly, Masai Ujiri was the one who basically discovered Alabi and you can bet that will play a factor.

Ford speculated in his mock draft that the Raptors are interested in him as well (along with Portland, OKC, San Antonio and Miami), although he has Alabi going to Boston at 19 which would mean that he wouldn't be on the board if the Raptors were to buy a pick as the earliest I could see is either 23rd (Minnesota) or 24th (Atlanta).

I would be pretty happy if the Raptors came out of the draft with Bradley/George at 13 and acquired a later 1st and got Alabi/Orton/Whiteside (if he drops due to maturity concerns)

Some news concerning the workout that went down earlier today (Bledsoe, Patterson, Geroge and Henry) and Green Room invites:

it's been said a million times, but Patrick Patterson is a joy to speak with. Great interview and a beatwriter's dream for a rookie scrum.

Both Xavier Henry and Paul George came up hurting at the end of 3x3 in today's workout. Guys bodies are getting banged up at this point.

in one individual shooting drill at the end of the workout, Patrick Patterson made 12 of 15 shots. Also: Eric Bledsoe's wingspan is insane.

Today was Xavier Henry's 11th predraft workout. One week away from the big night and their bodies are starting to feel the grind.

"You're playing for your 2nd contract, not your first. Finding the right fit for you is more impt. than going as high as you can." Xavier H.

All from Holly MacKenzie's Twitter (

)

Nothing huge as there seems to be less and less information released with each workout the Raptors hold (I basically found nothing about Tuesday's other than the Raptors liked Alabi, which I already knew) and the Raptors seem to be keeping their cards held tight to their chest. I just thought I would post some of this.

As far as I know, the Raptors are going to be having one more workout next week sometime before the draft. I think that will be the last workout that they hold, but something could change by then depending on who they can or can't get in.

As for the Green Room stuff:

Nine players invited so far: Wall, Turner, Favors, W-Johnson, Cousins, Monroe, Aminu (consensus top-7) plus Aldrich & Udoh (floor is 13/14.)

5-6 remaining invites will likely consist of: Patterson, Hayward, Henry, Ed Davis, Bradley, Babbitt. Big wild cards: Paul George, Bledsoe

The NBA's decision on whether to invite Luke Babbitt, Avery Bradley, Paul George and to a lesser extent Eric Bledsoe will be interesting.

Not that it is huge news or anything, but I like to see who they invite to the Green Room because, more often than not, those players are usually picked before the 20th or so. There are the odd guy who drops, but you usually don't see anybody invited to the Green Room sitting there for too long.

Anyways, just thought I would pass this information along.

EDIT: I found this on RealGM. There are all rumours and speculation, but I found it interesting regardless:

-Daniel Orton has a promise from Oklahoma City at 21

- Larry Sanders has a promise from Milwaukee at 15

- Indiana will be selecting either Eric Bledsoe or Avery Bradley

- Boston has there minds set on Solomon Alabi at 19

The Boston being set on Alabi doesn't surprise me at all, as I had him penciled in there anyways, the Pacers selecting either Bledsoe or Bradley isn't a surprise either, considering their need of a point guard but Sanders having a promise from Miwaukee at 15 is definitely a shock. Not only is that pretty high for him, but considering somebody like Xavier Henry or Paul George could drop to 15, both of which seem like great fits with the Bucks, it would be a huge shock if they took Sanders over one of them, especially Henry who I think would fit in very nicely with Milwaukee.

PATRICK PATTERSON

Patterson may or may not have received a promise from the Toronto Raptors at No. 13, but he walked away from his workout very confident that they will take him if he's there. He even cancelled a workout with the Bucks, who own the No. 15 pick. The Hornets are also a strong possibility at No. 11. It's not entirely confirmed, but it seems that Patterson has received a pretty strong commitment from the Raptors.

Link

Patterson may not have gotten a promise for number 13, but I have to think he got one that if he is on the board when/if the Raptors grab another pick he'll be in Toronto at some point.

I question the validity of that site. I mean they didn't even bother to edit the thing or something, or they simply don't know that the Heat are picking 18th in the draft and not 19th, like they have written there.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Raptors draft Patterson though, but I find it fairly hard to believe that they have promised him already, maybe with a later pick, but I don't think they would have promised him at 13 already. I could be wrong though.

For what it is worth, DX changed their pick for the Raptors from Bradley to Patterson.

I honestly have absolutely no idea what the Raptors are going to do on draft night though. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them take any number of players. Aldrich, Bradley, George, Bledsoe, Udoh, Patterson, Henry and even Orton (although I don't think they will pick him) are all players I can see them drafting, and that doesn't include players like Ed Davis or Al-Farouq Aminu who might drop out the top 10. This is probably the first time since the Arajuo draft that I have literally no sense of who they are going to pick.

Couple of new things. Cole Aldrich and Devin Ebanks are coming to Toronto for a 2nd workout tomorrow.

RaptorsDevlin

Raps hold workouts Tuesday..Sosa G Louisville, Lin G Harvard, Hobson F New Mexico, Ebanks F West Va, Thompson F UNC,Cole Aldrich C Kansas

Torsuncourtside

Ebanks and Aldrich in again! Raps high on both. Aldrich at 13, Ebanks with a bought pick.

According to Chad Ford's latest Insider blog, the Raptors may prefer Bledsoe over Bradley now as well. He also reports that the Raptors are one of the most active teams in trade talks and are looking to move up in the draft, which we already knew.

This should be a fairly interesting draft night though. I get the feeling that there is going to be a lot of surprises and could be a fair amount of pick swapping and trades going on.