Kim Hughes Critiques Baron Davis And Chris Kaman

Though he said he "loves Chris" Kaman and is proud of the center's development, he doesn't believe the Clippers can win an NBA championship with him as their main offensive option, as he was this season.

"You probably wouldn't win a championship with him as the first offensive option," Hughes said. "He doesn't recognize doubles enough, if he was the second [option] and guys weren't doubling as much, I think he'd probably be more effective. He'd probably shoot around 54, 55 percent.

"Chris I'm sure enjoyed scoring 20 points a game and had a great year, but I think the team would be more effective if when he's doubled he passes out to perimeter players and makes them better shooters, because clearly we need help with shooting, and he can help them out.

"I would prefer if he averaged 1.5 more rebounds per game and 2.5 fewer points."

Kaman led the team in scoring 18.5 points a game and made his first All-Star team but also led the team in turnovers, with 223 in 76 games.

Hughes said he'd noticed Davis playing better and more freely since he took over as coach in early February, but that the point guard still has "more work to do."

"I don't know what limited him, and really I don't care because really that's between he and Mike [Dunleavy]," Hughes said. "He's tried to be a leader the last 40 percent of the year, I'd concur with that.

"But he still has more work to do if he truly wants to be in a running team, and be a transition team, like he did in Golden State, that means he's got to get his body weight down to around 205. If he does that next year, that's showing me that he does want to be a leader and play that way next year."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5091385

I didn't watch a lot of Clipper games this season, but I did watch around 10-15 games of theirs this season and from what I saw, I completely agree with Hughes' comments on Kaman and Davis.

One thing that I always thought to myself was that Kaman is absolutely terrible at reading where the double team is coming from and is equally as terrible at reacting to the double. He is very slow when he is passing out of the double, and because of this it allows opposing defenses to be able to recover and close out on the perimeter shooters. If he was more decive on the catch and was able to react to the double team quicker, I definitely think that the Clipeprs would've got a lot more open looks on the perimeter and Kaman wouldn't have an assist to turnover ratio of basically 1:2. I imagine it would've helped the Clipprs score more than 95 points a game and shoot only 45 and 33 percent from the field and three respectively (20th and 27th in the NBA).

Kaman took huge strides forward in his game this season, that is undeniable. He showed the ability to be a top 5-8 center in the NBA and showed that he can be relied upon for around 18-9 night in and night out. I'm not going to hate on him for his rebounding or anything because he did play a large part of the season with Marcus Camby grabbing 12 boards a game, but I definitely agree with Hughes when saying that Kaman isn't suited to be a number one option and that he struggle mightily with reading and reacting to double teams.

He hit the nail on the head with Davis as well. Davis can talk about being a leader all that he wants, but ultimately it is his actions and not his words that need to shine through. Since coming to the Clippers, Davis has been a huge disapointment. He is averaging 15.1 ppg / 7.9 apg on 38.8% shooting and is attempting 4.5 three pointers a game despite shooting only 29% from three.

However, he did improve a bit after the All-Star break and after Dunleavy was fired, whch isn't exactly saying much considering how poorly he has been playing since coming to the Clippers. He has to re-commit himself to getting into shape and playing the kind of 2 way basketball that he did in his final year with the Warriors if he wants to be looked at as a leader though. He can talk all he wants, but he needs to put in the work this summer and come back motivated next year if he wants to be looked at as a leader.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Worse than most players, Davis hasn't just been unproductive, he's been a dog. After that half season run he had in Golden State, he was abysmal down the stretch in Golden State's attempt to make the playoffs in 2007-2008, even getting benched by Don Nelson against the Suns with the Warriors' playoff lives on the line (how do you get benched with your playoff life on the line by a coach who adores you). After that he cashed a nice fat check and half-asses it in games. And since the Clippers suck, nobody cares.