Why Does Joey Crawford Have a Job?

It's a horrendous call, but since we're trashing individuals for isolated mistakes, let's ask why Wesley Matthews and Marcus Camby are still in this league for missing dunks, why Dorell Wright is still in the league for horrendous defense on Paul Pierce in Game 3, why Kyle Korver is still in this league for only shooting 1-5 the other day, and why Birdman is in the league for getting pushed around by the Jazz.

Do you have evidence to more missed calls Crawford committed to indicate potential bias or incompetence?

It's a horrendous call, but since we're trashing individuals for isolated mistakes, let's ask why Wesley Matthews and Marcus Camby are still in this league for missing dunks, why Dorell Wright is still in the league for horrendous defense on Paul Pierce in Game 3, why Kyle Korver is still in this league for only shooting 1-5 the other day, and why Birdman is in the league for getting pushed around by the Jazz.

Do you have evidence to more missed calls Crawford committed to indicate potential bias or incompetence?

No.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph_4MIP58ZQ

None of these indicate potential bias or incompetence.

Joey Crawford is a very competent, and fair referee.

Nobody's trashing individuals for isolated mistakes. We're trashing an individual for his most recent screw-up in a long line of stupid mistakes.

I'm not joking.

It's a terrible call, but by showing one clip of an atrocious call and insinuating that Joey Crawford is this awful referee because of one call made in one game is a little silly. Most of the problems with Joey Crawford don't come from his reffing ability but his ultra quick fuse where he'll T people up for looking at him crookedly (or laughing)---which isn't necessarily a positive statement about him, but it has nothing to do with his ability to officiate violations of the game and what not.

Everyone is quick to jump on the referees when they make mistakes. Here's a question. Are there any good referees out there? I bet according to most fans there aren't any, or they'll simply rattle of refs that don't have big names simply because those refs haven't been known to make big mistakes in important games.

One of these days, I'll take one or two of the videos I have and simply go through the foul calls and judge which were good calls and which were bad calls.

But I'm not going to make blanket statements and throw Joey Crawford under the bus simply because it's the cool thing to do.

I'm not joking.

It's a terrible call, but by showing one clip of an atrocious call and insinuating that Joey Crawford is this awful referee because of one call made in one game is a little silly. Most of the problems with Joey Crawford don't come from his reffing ability but his ultra quick fuse where he'll T people up for looking at him crookedly (or laughing)---which isn't necessarily a positive statement about him, but it has nothing to do with his ability to officiate violations of the game and what not.

Everyone is quick to jump on the referees when they make mistakes. Here's a question. Are there any good referees out there? I bet according to most fans there aren't any, or they'll simply rattle of refs that don't have big names simply because those refs haven't been known to make big mistakes in important games.

One of these days, I'll take one or two of the videos I have and simply go through the foul calls and judge which were good calls and which were bad calls.

But I'm not going to make blanket statements and throw Joey Crawford under the bus simply because it's the cool thing to do.

There is not one clip. There are three, and I could find more if I had the desire. And a bad call is, say, missing a block/charge because it happened fast. Running over a player and calling a foul on the nearest person is not the same. Throwing a tech at Duncan for laughing is not the same. And yes, that ultra quick fuse is a HUGE detriment to his ability to work a game.

Would you want the Army to employ snipers with an ultra quick fuse, even if they were good snipers?

There is not one clip. There are three, and I could find more if I had the desire. And a bad call is, say, missing a block/charge because it happened fast. Running over a player and calling a foul on the nearest person is not the same. Throwing a tech at Duncan for laughing is not the same. And yes, that ultra quick fuse is a HUGE detriment to his ability to work a game.

Would you want the Army to employ snipers with an ultra quick fuse, even if they were good snipers?

One shows his temper getting the best of him when he T'd up Duncan---a decision that had nothing to do with the game itself. The second video is conveniently edited so there is no full speed video of the entire sequence. Maybe he couldn't stop himself going full speed? Either way, there's nothing that shows Crawford making an incorrect basketball decision---only two clips that show him being comically ill-tempered.

A sniper doesn't use judgment, he simply follows an order or carries out his mission.

A better analogy would be something like, would you want Crawford as a judge at your trial.

So long as I don't laugh at him or look at him incorrectly, he'd probably do a better job than you.

Clip 1, it looks like he's trying to stop and can't and pushes Jones out of bounds. When a player crashes into a ref does everyone scream at the player? Nothing in the first clip shows that Crawford can't referee, it only shows that he had a clumsy moment.

Clip 2, From that awful resolution, if Crawford thought K-Mart tried to elbow Varejao in the neck, he has every right to throw him out of the game. Either way, it's a foul.

Clip 3, 0.3 is what has been determined the least amount of time acceptable to catch and shoot. The ball was out of Redick's hands as the light went on. Not only is that not a bad call, but it's an excellent call.

Clip 4, a bad call. Perkins went straight up.

There's now video evidence of Crawford being clumsy, and angry, but only two clips of him making bad calls. Does he need to chill out? Yeah. But can he ref a game? Much better than anyone will give him credit for.

This isn't Dick Bavetta, or Violet Palmer, or Danny Crawford, or every single NCAA ref. Does Joey Crawford need to do a better job at times? Sure, all refs not named Steve Javie could be much much better. All players not named LeBron could be much much better too.

People dismiss Crawford because of his quick whistle. It's like dismissing the defense Rasheed Wallace played in Detroit because he got T'd up a lot.

Actually, it has been determined that you can only catch and shoot at 0.4. Everything 0.3 cannot be. He [expletive]ed up.

Clip 2 is the right call in the sense that it's a foul...but Crawford was probably the only person in the building and the only person watching who might be thinking that. It was a terrible call.

Clip 1, just because he's clumsy, he calls a foul on Billups?

One shows his temper getting the best of him when he T'd up Duncan---a decision that had nothing to do with the game itself. The second video is conveniently edited so there is no full speed video of the entire sequence. Maybe he couldn't stop himself going full speed? Either way, there's nothing that shows Crawford making an incorrect basketball decision---only two clips that show him being comically ill-tempered.

A sniper doesn't use judgment, he simply follows an order or carries out his mission.

A better analogy would be something like, would you want Crawford as a judge at your trial.

So long as I don't laugh at him or look at him incorrectly, he'd probably do a better job than you.

You're not being logical. I'm pretty sure that a crazy technical on Duncan does concern the game itself. Loss of a star player and all that? And nobody cares about the hit. The issue is that he called the foul on Billups when it was Crawford who tackled the guy. That also deals with the game itself.

And your criteria for an NBA ref is that he do a better job than me?

I'm not joking.

Huh? That's a MAJOR contradiction. Technicals directly affect the outcome of a game because not only does it lead to points on the board for an opposing team, but as another member mentioned it can lead to a key player being thrown out of the game. Everyone is human and everyone has the right to have a temper if they desire, but if you're an NBA referee that is being paid good money to officiate a part of a multi-million dollar business, you have to check that temper at the door before entering the arena.

And as for your excuses...errr, insight...on the Nash call and the Billups foul, both can be called as inadvertant whistles, especially the Billups one where Joey Crawford himself managed to commit the foul. Both calls seemed like Crawford and his huge ego didn't want to admit he made a mistake.

As Reggie Miller was saying last night during the Cavs/Bulls game when Varejao fouled Dang after the shot-clock expired, the whole point of officiating is to get the game right. Refs are prone to mistakes, but as you have acknowledged, Crawford's anger is a big problem. Officiating mistakes shouldn't go beyond honest mistakes stemming from a referee missing something with his bare eye in the heat of a game. Crawford's issues are something he can resolve himself and many times they go beyond honest mistakes (which he has PLENTY of as well).

Edited by Nitro1118
  • Like 2