Sixers to meet with Mark Jackson, JVG a no go

The 76ers are working hard to have a new head coach in place as soon as possible.

Philadelphia met with Doug Collins on Saturday and was scheduled to meet with Avery Johnson on Monday.

A source familiar with the situation told the Philadelphia Daily News that 76ers general manager Ed Stefanski is also scheduling a meeting with ABC/ESPN analyst Mark Jackson.

Stefanski spoke with Jeff Van Gundy, former coach of the Knicks and Rockets, but he isn't interested in the position.

RealGM

Didn't actually think he'd want to come here, but Jackson would be an interesting choice. He'd work wonders with Jrue.

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere that Mark Jackson turned this down?

Is he stupid or just a moron?

Doesn't he want to coach? I believe he has refused coaching offers last year too and now he turned Sixers down?

Does he expect to get a Lakers job? When you want to start out, you don't care where it is, you just want to start your career... I can't believe he has turned down coaching offers. Does this guy really want to coach?

But Sixers would be wise to hire Laimbeer. If I was Denver's GM, I would drop Karl so he can tend to his health 100%, and hire Laimbeer. That guy is a leader, a manager, a communicator, a strategist. He will be a great coach, you heard it here first! :)

I read somewhere that Mark Jackson turned this down?

Is he stupid or just a moron?

Doesn't he want to coach? I believe he has refused coaching offers last year too and now he turned Sixers down?

Does he expect to get a Lakers job? When you want to start out, you don't care where it is, you just want to start your career... I can't believe he has turned down coaching offers. Does this guy really want to coach?

But Sixers would be wise to hire Laimbeer. If I was Denver's GM, I would drop Karl so he can tend to his health 100%, and hire Laimbeer. That guy is a leader, a manager, a communicator, a strategist. He will be a great coach, you heard it here first! :)

Yeah, Mark Jackson, who's wanted a head coaching job for years, turned down the interview. Wonderful decision on his part too. An average career as a point guard, a below average career as a basketball analyst, and no prior career at all as a coach is definitely enough to snag a head coaching job where the situation is convenient.

What else can you tell me about Laimbeer?

^I wouldn't say average career as a PG, guy has more assists than Magic. :P

What's dumb is IT'S THE SIXERS for God's sake. It's not "It's the Clippers!!! I turned down that interview!!! Lick my balls, etc". Jesus Christ some guys are dumb.

I wrote this about Laimbeer on a Nugget site (I want Denver to hire him)...

Five reasons:

1.) He is a leader... He is a former Bad Boy and some of that still remain in him. But he has successfully channeled that Bad Boy energy into a great leader who commands respect when he speaks. He is tall so he won't be intimidated when KMart barks at him. He exudes boundless energy which is important to keep a group focused for a full season. He sets a clear direction of what he wants players to do, and what he doesn't want them to do. He sets a clear goal for a basketball team for that season. He he doesn't talk non-sense.. he knows his stuff (see reason #4). When you know you're a guy who people won't mess with and you know what you're talking about, that's a formidable combination.

2.) He is a manager... They say you can either lead or manage. Bill knows how to do both. While leaders do the right things, managers do things right. They know how to relate to (aka treat) players. And thesedays, you have to treat players individually. He can manage egos, which is surprising, considering you would expect a former Bad Boy to have a short fuse. But Bill is surprisingly patient and while he is not afraid of yelling at his players, he knows when to give credits to them when they're due. He would never get to the "you've crossed the line" point, but he still gives you the "keeping it real" looks that you won't cross his line.

3.) He's a communicator... He talks a lot but not one of those guys who don't know when they've crossed the "annoying" line like Avery Johnson. He talks to ensure they's a relationship between him and his players. It's not all professional as Bill can be casual too, making players comfortable around him. But Bill can be all business and his players will respect him for that. He can play both good cop and bad cop on his players, which is a valuable communication skill.

4.) He knows his X's and O's... Say what you want that it's only a WNBA team. But basketball is basketball. He can do it with female talents, he can do it with male talents. But although X's and O's can be learned, they must come from within you. Bill has them within him. So unlike most guys who say "I'll lead, you guys shaddap" but they don't know what they're talking about, when Bill talks he knows what he's talking about.

5.) He is not afraid of working the refs. He is never intimidated by refs... but after he gets a T, he's composed enough to not get tossed. He protects his players, but best of all, he also warns players not to be overly whiny to the refs.