Pedro Agrees To Deal With Phillies

xx.

SI.com - A report in Candela Deportiva, a Dominican Republic newspaper, said there was an agreement between Pedro Martinez and the Phillies for $4 million. That hasn't been confirmed, but sources indicate the Phillies were impressed by Martinez after watching him throw in the Dominican on Tuesday.

There is said to be "strong interest'' on the part of the Phillies. According to The Associated Press, Martinez says his agent is currently negotiating with the Phillies.

So they agreed on 4 million, after he wanted a lot of money and was asking for 7 million.

Link

There has been no deal yet...

He is going to throw for the Phillies front office again tomorrow afternoon, then they will make a decision.

And if this does happen, you could probably forget about Halladay.

Edited by Phightins09

Yeah 4 Mil for half a season, this seems like a move in desperation the more I think about it.

Desperation? How so? There is so little starting pitching out there. Other than Roy Halladay, there are no sure things on the market. Jake Peavy is hurt, Cliff Lee has a far bigger price tag than he is worth, Erik Bedard has injury concerns and is a clubhouse cancer, the Astros are probably holding on to Roy Oswalt. Halladay would literally take every prospect worth anything in our farm system, and moves like that are typically against the Phillies MO (and against most teams MO for that matter). I can see already that the Phillies are going to try to do this precisely how they did last year...smaller, under the radar moves to fill in some gaps, while preserving the farm system and not going for the big name guys.

Actually I take back what I said (kind of). Todd Zolecki of mlb.com seems to think that even if Pedro is signed, the Phillies will still make a run at Halladay, which is surprising to me. I guess they think that the Blue Jays would require that JA Happ be part of the trade, so they would need an extra piece to the rotation should that happen.

Damn, Halladay + Hamels will be beastly.

Haha Phightins, I mentioned Pedro signing with the Phillies before. You said it wouldn't happen, but looks like I was right! :)

Technically he hasn't signed with the club yet, Phillies front office wants to take a look at this stuff before making the decision. But no doubt he'll probably end up signing if a contract has been mentioned.

Damn, Halladay + Hamels will be beastly.

Haha Phightins, I mentioned Pedro signing with the Phillies before. You said it wouldn't happen, but looks like I was right! :)

Haha well I assumed his arm was toast, based on what he had done in his past 2 years with the Mets. But hey, if he feels good then why not give it a shot. In his work out apparently his fastball was hitting 95, so that can't be anything but a good sign. He is throwing for them again today and if that goes well I expect him to be signed.

5.61 ERA in his last season in the Majors, has only gotten older.. He couldn't possibly be getting that much better at 37.

His health was a big problem in his final two years with the Mets. He now says he feels as good as he's felt in a couple years. I'd give him a shot...worst comes to worst he sucks, and in that case we're just out of $4 million (don't mean to sneeze at that kind of money, but the Phillies are in as good shape financially as anybody in the league), and we just give one of the kids in the organization a shot, or make another deal.

Edited by Phightins09

His health was a big problem in his final two years with the Mets. He now says he feels as good as he's felt in a couple years. I'd give him a shot...worst comes to worst he sucks, and in that case we're just out of $4 million (don't mean to sneeze at that kind of money, but the Phillies are in as good shape financially as anybody in the league), and we just give one of the kids in the organization a shot, or make another deal.

It IS a recession, haha funny you sounded exactly like a Yankee fan there.

It IS a recession, haha funny you sounded exactly like a Yankee fan there.

Right, but the Phillies are not feeling the effects of it. We are one of only a handful of teams actually doing significantly better financially this year than last. Essentially every game has been a sell out and merchandise is flying off the shelves. If you have the money, why not spend it?

its hard to see a healthy pedro being any worse then whoever the 5th starter is. assuming they dont sign anyone else

Yeah 4 Mil for half a season, this seems like a move in desperation the more I think about it.

See you in the playoffs.

O, wait.

You won't be there.

Hope you root for us in the post season for yet ANOTHER year.

Edited by N4S