Phillies warned by MLB to stop stealing signs

Cobb

NBC Sports

Tracy Ringolsby reports that Major League Baseball has issued a warning to the Phillies over allegations that they have been stealing signs.

The latest: during Monday night's game against the Rockies, bullpen coach Mick Billmeyer was seen using binoculars to look in at Rockies catchers. Meanwhile, Shane Victorino was seen in the dugout on the bullpen phone. You don't have to be Josh Beckett's wife to figure out what was going on.

There's nothing in the rule book about sign stealing. There is, however, what amounts to an executive order on the matter. Back in 2001, then-Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations Sandy Alderson sent out a memo to all teams that restricted the use of electronic equipment during a game. Such equipment and technology, Alderson wrote, "could not be used for communications or for the purpose of stealing signs or conveying information designed to give a club an advantage."

They were not stealing signs. Charlie rarely gets pissed off, but he was piping mad at the allegations. I have no idea why Mick Billmeyer thought he could use binoculars from the bullpen and not look suspicious, though. Should have been smarter.

But even if they were, it's not like they made a difference. Mick put the binoculars away in the 1st inning after the ump told him to, and the Phillies scored 9 runs after that. Jim Tracy just had some serious sand in his vagina because they lost the game (and it carried over to today when he got tossed for going haywire over a call that was clearly correct).

And FYI...Shane was on the phone to tell Mick to put the binoculars away, apparently. Anyone who thinks Billmeyer could see the signal with binoculars, tell Shane Victorino the pitch via phone, and then have Victorino signal to the batter what the pitch is all in a matter of 1.5 or so seconds before the pitch is thrown is just stupid.

Edited by Phightins

They were not stealing signs. Charlie rarely gets pissed off, but he was piping mad at the allegations. I have no idea why Mick Billmeyer thought he could use binoculars from the bullpen and not look suspicious, though. Should have been smarter.

But even if they were, it's not like they made a difference. Mick put the binoculars away in the 1st inning after the ump told him to, and the Phillies scored 9 runs after that. Jim Tracy just had some serious sand in his vagina because they lost the game (and it carried over to today when he got tossed for going haywire over a call that was clearly correct).

And FYI...Shane was on the phone to tell Mick to put the binoculars away, apparently. Anyone who thinks Billmeyer could see the signal with binoculars, tell Shane Victorino the pitch via phone, and then have Victorino signal to the batter what the pitch is all in a matter of 1.5 or so seconds before the pitch is thrown is just stupid.

Dude, stop being a homer. If it were happening to the Phillies you'd be all bent out of shape about it. You don't know how many times they called the dugout. They just happened to get caught the time that Victorino was on the phone.

Dude, stop being a homer. If it were happening to the Phillies you'd be all bent out of shape about it. You don't know how many times they called the dugout. They just happened to get caught the time that Victorino was on the phone.

If "it" happened to the Phillies, I'd actually use my head and realize that the allegations the Rockies made are ridiculous. Why don't you use your head now? Tell me how it's possible for a bullpen coach to use binoculars from 400 feet away, see the sign, tell another guy in the bullpen what the pitch is, who would relay that via the bullpen phone to the dugout, where somebody else would make a signal to the batter...all in the 1-1.5 seconds (or less) between the time the sign is laid down and the pitcher goes into his delivery. If you can come up with some logical way for this to happen, I might take you a bit more seriously.

And just an FYI, Victorino was on the phone to tell Billmeyer to put the binoculars away because the umpire told him to make the call.

Again, the binoculars were away after the 1st inning and the Phillies managed 9 runs from that point forward. So if they did have some farfetched scheme that was actually working for stealing signs, it's not like it made much of a difference when they stopped. But really, I'd like to hear your explanation for how it could have worked. Go on....

Edited by Phightins

But with that said, "stealing signs" is not the issue, it's the fact that he had binoculars out. Using an instrument other than your own eyes to steal signs is what is unethical. As I posted above, I see no way this plan the Rockies laid out could have worked. I am sure the Phillies were stealing signs in that game...every time they got a runner on 2nd base. Just as every other Major League team does. The fact that the Rockies are crying about some farfetched scheme that is just purely ridiculous and had no chance of being a working plan...that's the interesting part.

If "it" happened to the Phillies, I'd actually use my head and realize that the allegations the Rockies made are ridiculous. Why don't you use your head now? Tell me how it's possible for a bullpen coach to use binoculars from 400 feet away, see the sign, tell another guy in the bullpen what the pitch is, who would relay that via the bullpen phone to the dugout, where somebody else would make a signal to the batter...all in the 1-1.5 seconds (or less) between the time the sign is laid down and the pitcher goes into his delivery. If you can come up with some logical way for this to happen, I might take you a bit more seriously.

And just an FYI, Victorino was on the phone to tell Billmeyer to put the binoculars away because the umpire told him to make the call.

Again, the binoculars were away after the 1st inning and the Phillies managed 9 runs from that point forward. So if they did have some farfetched scheme that was actually working for stealing signs, it's not like it made much of a difference when they stopped. But really, I'd like to hear your explanation for how it could have worked. Go on....

That's not how signs are stolen, lol. He'd get a number, say 3 is a fastball, he'd relay it to the dugout. Whenever someone was on 2nd, he'd put his hands in a fist, or something else like that to signal the batter a curve is coming. But to say someone would just yell at hte batter a curve is coming is kinda ridiculous..

That's not how signs are stolen, lol. He'd get a number, say 3 is a fastball, he'd relay it to the dugout. Whenever someone was on 2nd, he'd put his hands in a fist, or something else like that to signal the batter a curve is coming. But to say someone would just yell at hte batter a curve is coming is kinda ridiculous..

I am not sure where you got that "yell at the batter what pitch is coming" thing out of my post. If you want to discuss this, at least read my posts and don't accuse me of saying things that I did not say.

But, there is a reason pitchers and catchers change signs so frequently throughout the game. A smart player can figure out what the other team's signs are very quickly.

Edited by Phightins

There's no proof.

Also binoculars are electronic?

Of course they are remember?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d36/Fish7718/binco2.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d36/Fish7718/binco1.jpg

nah really tho...

http://www.carsonoptical.com/assets/prod_images/copitar_binoculars.jpg

Edited by Fish7718

Not really condoning this(people will use dumber reasons to take aim at Philly either way)..but Charlie became my fav sports coach when he said this:

Why have the #Phillies been accused of stealing signs? "Because we beat them," Manuel said. "That's why. Keep crying."

“I’m sure if teams could steal signs they would, and if we can we will, too, if we can get them legally,” Manuel said. “If you’re dumb enough to let us get them, it’s your fault. It’s been going on in the game a long time. If you’re dumb enough to let us get them, that’s your problem.”

:lol:

True smitts, but it's one thing to do it with the naked eye, it's another thing to have the bullpen coach using binoculars, whats next, are the camera guys in center field going to start giving the batters signs?