The NBA Lottery Sucks

EastCoastNiner

The NBA lottery is terrible, and is probably the dumbest possible way to determine draft selections.

They should follow the NHL's lottery, which is MUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH better.

In the NHL, teams can only move up FOUR spots, meaning only the teams with the five highest odds can possibly get the 1st overall pick.

Also, teams can only move down ONE spot, meaning that if you had the highest odds, you would pick 2nd at worst.

The NBA lottery is garbage.

I agree. I also think it should be done either all live or done like the NFL as in worth team gets the best pick.

No way, then you would just get teams that would drop all their games so they could try to get number 1 pick every year. I like how its random. Makes it exciting.

• Like 2

How about the idea of the seventeenth seed (with the two conferences placed collectively in the standings) getting getting the 25% chance, and the order works its way down to the 30th seed before going back to the sixteenth seed? That could prevent tanking.

I don't mind the lottery. It adds a bit of a potential drawback for massive losing, while still allowing terrible teams to have high draft picks. The worst the Nets could've been this year was 4th. They're 3rd. Should they have been first? Perhaps, but the slight bump down is a bit of justice for playing some of the worst basketball in the history of the NBA for much of this season. There's no justification for the Wizards having the number 1 pick, but that's how the balls dropped.

If you don't have this randomization, nothing would stop horrible teams from trying to lose and getting away with it. The only alternative would be to reverse the draft order which is another terrible idea.

All drafts are rewards or compensations for losing. The NBA's isn't that much different from the NHL's either. From what you've described of the NHL, only five teams end up in a lottery and only for the top spot. There's not much drawback for a team with a potential first pick winding up picking second, and mediocre teams are screwed completely. In the NBA, at least there isn't a complete lockout for teams that had better seasons than the dregs of the league.

• Like 2

I don't mind the lottery. It adds a bit of a potential drawback for massive losing, while still allowing terrible teams to have high draft picks. The worst the Nets could've been this year was 4th. They're 3rd. Should they have been first? Perhaps, but the slight bump down is a bit of justice for playing some of the worst basketball in the history of the NBA for much of this season. There's no justification for the Wizards having the number 1 pick, but that's how the balls dropped.

If you don't have this randomization, nothing would stop horrible teams from trying to lose and getting away with it. The only alternative would be to reverse the draft order which is another terrible idea.

All drafts are rewards or compensations for losing. The NBA's isn't that much different from the NHL's either. From what you've described of the NHL, only five teams end up in a lottery and only for the top spot. There's not much drawback for a team with a potential first pick winding up picking second, and mediocre teams are screwed completely. In the NBA, at least there isn't a complete lockout for teams that had better seasons than the dregs of the league.

A lot of people say that, and it's the dumbest thing someone can say. If teams lose games, they lose fans, merchandise sales, and the list goes on. Teams don't try and lose games.

Also, if they are going to let the 14th place team have a chance at the pick, then they should let the playoff teams get a chance as well.

No, keep the lottery the way it is. I used to feel the same way about the draft lottery but you have to understand if they did the draft the way its done in the NFL or the NHL as you said,teams could easily rebuild a franchise. Trust me I should know its happened for the Rockets, infact if I'm not mistaking they made the lottery because of what the Rockets did. They drafted Ralph Sampson in 83 had another horrible season then drafted and Olajuwon ithe next year in 84. Then the next year we were in the finals against Boston. So just imagine how many teams will attempt to tank seasons if the lottery wasn't done the way it is.

Edited by htownborn

No, keep the lottery the way it is. I used to feel the same way about the draft lottery but you have to understand if they did the draft the way its done in the NFL or the NHL as you said,teams could easily rebuild a franchise. Trust me I should know its happened for the Rockets, infact if I'm not mistaking they made the lottery because of what the Rockets did. They drafted Ralph Sampson in 83 had another horrible season then drafted and Olajuwon ithe next year in 84. Then the next year we were in the finals against Boston. So just imagine how many teams will attempt to tank seasons if the lottery wasn't done the way it is.

That's a myth. Teams don't tank like that.

A lot of people say that, and it's the dumbest thing someone can say. If teams lose games, they lose fans, merchandise sales, and the list goes on. Teams don't try and lose games.

Also, if they are going to let the 14th place team have a chance at the pick, then they should let the playoff teams get a chance as well.

No they don't actively try and lose, but they don't play with any incentive to win if they have a guaranteed first pick. A lottery removes shenanigans if teams do try to lose.

And the revenue lost by a bad season can skyrocket in time with a superstar draft pick. The one bad season the Spurs had in the 90's has paid off a thousand fold by what Tim Duncan has brought, to name an example. Virtually every single franchise that has won a title or competed for a title has had the benefit of an elite draft pick on their team, or has used the pick in a trade to acquire someone.

What is the rationale for giving playoff teams lottery chances? The lottery should still only help non-playoff teams as ways of reversing some franchises. The weighted lottery keeps awful teams from automatically having top tier draft choices, while still giving them terrific chances of having those top tier draft choices.

That's a myth. Teams don't tank like that.

Yeah, teams don't tank like that in the NBA because it would be pointless if you don't even know if your going to get a top 5 pick. But be honest and I take it your a Nets fan if the NBA didn't have the lottery the worst team automatically gets the first pick you don't think the Nets wouldnt try it. Expecially with the Nets new owner who ants to make the Nets championship contenders within 5 years.

• Owner

Devin Harris, Brook Lopez, Courtney Lee, Chris Douglas-Roberts...that team shouldn't be the worst in the league, let alone on pace to setting a record for the most losses in a season by ANY team in NBA history (up until what, the 65th game or so?).

Quite frankly, if I had proof of a team tanking, I would rip their first-rounder from them.

The NFL draft absolutely sucks, and the NHL draft rewards tanking teams more than the NBA does...so NBA it is, without a doubt.

Tanking is no myth. The lottery was implemented in response to blatant tanking. Even with the lottery in place teams tanked hard for the Duncan draft. Boston pre-KG trade tanked shamelessly. It happens even in a lottery.

You're mad the Nets got 3rd? Try the Warriors. The lottery is implemented for the first year in the Ewing draft. Dubs have the worst record in the league. End up with the last pick in the lottery. Now THAT is a screw job.

What needs to happen is to change the odds slightly. More weighting for the worst three.

Edited by Sky