Wizards set on Wall - Buying out Arenas

Former Washington Times reporter John Mitchell writes for TheGrio.com that the Wizards are committed to removing Gilbert Arenas from the roster before next season.

According to a source, the team will "definitely consider buying out" Arenas' contract if he cannot be traded.

The Wizards will select John Wall with the first overall pick and, according to two league sources with knowledge of the team's future plans, will do everything in their power to make sure that Wall is never in the same locker room as Arenas.

One source with intimate knowledge of the team's plans says that Ernie Grunfeld does not want Arenas anywhere near Wall.

Grunfeld and Arenas used to share a strong relationship but they have barely spoken over the last two months.

RealGM

If they do indeed go this route and take Wall, it would definitely be wise to keep him away from Arenas. Even though Arenas is a great player you don't need the circus to travel onto Wall. It would be a new era for the Wizards.

What do you think the Wizards could get in exchange for Arenas via trade?

I don't even think people would offer cap relief. They'd probably want to dump a contract or two since Arenas deal is definitely 10x worse. Not to mention on top of all the off-court gun related bull [expletive], he's still coming off of injury and didn't look that great on the court TBH.

The Wizards have gotten some calls about point guard Gilbert Arenas, according to the New York Daily News.

However, Washington hasn't gotten good enough offer to consider dealing their biggest and most notorious star.

Gotta love RealGM's conflicting reports lol. First article they just wanna dump him for salary relief and would even consider buying him out, and in this article they aren't shopping him because they want good value? Ok...

• Owner

No team would be getting cap relief by trading for Arenas.

2010-11: $17.7 million

2011-12: $19.3 million

2012-13: $20.8 million (player option that Gilbert will exercise)

2013-14: $22.4 million

That's Arenas' contract.

I'm 100% sure no franchise will think, "Hey, we can shed $22.4 million off in 2014! That will definitely help us in our free agency." For one, no team will know their payroll situation four years ahead of time...and two, with talks of salary decreases, none of them know what that will do to future contracts, the salary cap itself, and just how ugly Arenas' contract will be compared to everyone else's.

So...buying him out? Quite a chunk of change. I'd be surprised to hear that happened.

• Like 2

• Owner

I think the Wiz would be getting the cap relief, lol

Right, so that presents the question: why would anyone trade for Arenas? There really is no reason to want that contract, or to want the player.

i think teams should still look to sign him, he doesnt "suck" that bad

Yes he does, he had two borderline all-star players in Jamison and Caron at his disposal offensively and a few solid role players and as the 'leader' of that team they struggled to even be mediocre which is pathetic. This is a cocky guy who would probably rather drop 45 points than win a basketball game. He doesn't know how to win and at this point probably doesn't care, he brings almost nothing to the table, he isn't athletic, he is bad defensively, can't run an offense and when your PG would rather chuck 25 shots than get everyone else involved you just cannot win. He was bad before his knee injuries and is even worse after, this guy has a chip on his shoulder and insists on chucking up shots and reminding people he was picked in the 2nd round and became an all-star.

Arenas might help a team that would normally win 25 games, win 35 games, but he cannot help a team win a championship. If you want a PG who can get you 20 points on 40%, then sure, I agree with you he doesn't 'suck that bad'.

That's Arenas' contract.

I'm 100% sure no franchise will think, "Hey, we can shed $22.4 million off in 2014! That will definitely help us in our free agency." For one, no team will know their payroll situation four years ahead of time...and two, with talks of salary decreases, none of them know what that will do to future contracts, the salary cap itself, and just how ugly Arenas' contract will be compared to everyone else's.

So...buying him out? Quite a chunk of change. I'd be surprised to hear that happened.

What the hell are you talking about?

It didn't say anywhere that a team would trade for Arenas to get cap relief, that just doesn't make sense. Taking on a contract like his does not get them cap relief, it gives US cap relief. New York is definitely a possible destination for Arenas if they don't acquire any of the big name free agents they are targeting. I like that I can finally breathe a sigh of relief and not worry about the possibility of us picking Evan Turner over John Wall. Thank god...

Yeah there isn't anyone that's gonna trade for him. If they buy him out however, I'd take him in a second. A point guard who can shoot the 3 is exactly what we need. However, the huge question mark with Gilbert is whether or not he can accept the role of a second or third scoring option on offense. If he can, he's the ideal 2nd or third scoring option.

Right, so that presents the question: why would anyone trade for Arenas? There really is no reason to want that contract, or to want the player.

No, I don't think anyone trades for him with the contract. He plays for the Wiz or he's bought out... now, if he's bought out, I'm certain we'll see some interest from at least a handful of teams.

• Owner

I never said a team would look at him as cap relief. I think some of you misunderstood what I was saying.

Basically, the reason NOBODY would want to trade for Arenas is because they wouldn't want the contract. Cap relief in 2014? Haha, no team would care right now.

But I never said anyone claimed that a team would care for that cap relief.

Best for Wizards is to keep Arenas, for he will want to prove he still can play.

Then after a season of All Star stats, increased value, they can then start considering to trade him. And this also gives them opportunity to see if he can play with Wall. I think they can play together... just like Derrick Rose could play with Ben Gordon. Arenas is a more explosive Gordon, which should benefit Wall's game, not detract.

That's Arenas' contract.

Yeah John Wall career = over before it begins. He is going to join a bad organization if they are going to buy out such a HUGE contract.

Just a really dumb move i think. The Nets should have got 1st pick, god damn Wizards are hopeless.

Yeah John Wall career = over before it begins. He is going to join a bad organization if they are going to buy out such a HUGE contract.

Just a really dumb move i think. The Nets should have got 1st pick, god damn Wizards are hopeless.

Pessimistic much? Don't lose hope in our entire organization just because you're mad the Nets got unlucky in the draft. There's no way to tell how Wall is going to function on our team. Maybe Gilbert will be bought out. Maybe he'll stay and him and Wall will actually coexist very well. Maybe they will suck together and Gilbert will be traded during the regular season. Anything is possible, it's all a wait and see process.

what the hell are you talking about? Washington was in the playoffs just two years ago. had Arenas actually been able to play this season, they might have had a chance at the postseason yet again. to compare them to New Jersey is just completely ridiculous.

btw, buying out the contract of Arenas isn't a 'bad move.' they don't want there to be chemistry issues. bringing in John Wall and pairing him with Gilbert's ego could mean trouble. if they buy him out now, they can shed more salary and be able to sign a top flight free agent this summer. buying out Arenas wouldn't be a bad move at all.

• 4 weeks later...

what the hell are you talking about? Washington was in the playoffs just two years ago. had Arenas actually been able to play this season, they might have had a chance at the postseason yet again. to compare them to New Jersey is just completely ridiculous.

btw, buying out the contract of Arenas isn't a 'bad move.' they don't want there to be chemistry issues. bringing in John Wall and pairing him with Gilbert's ego could mean trouble. if they buy him out now, they can shed more salary and be able to sign a top flight free agent this summer. buying out Arenas wouldn't be a bad move at all.

Well you tell me how its ridiculous when we made the finals in the past 10 years. The Wizards haven't .. so go on .. tell me how it's ridiculous to compare..

Nah just stating the facts that the lottery is suspect. The Bulls and Wizards winning top picks out of no where is complete crap.

The lottery is fair because it doesn't automatically reward tanking. It doesn't give you a 100% shot because every team that didn't make the playoffs deserves at least a shot. It keeps the league dynamic so that some franchises can get lucky, etc. I like it that way.