The Joker Will Not Return

Cobb

IGN.com

Director Christopher Nolan has said that the Joker will not be returning in Batman 3 or any other subsequent bat-films as long as he's helming the franchise. From the latest issue of Empire Magazine:

"'No,' says Nolan emphatically and unhesitatingly. He resists elaborating simply because, quite understandably, he says, 'I just don't feel comfortable talking about it.'"

I didn't expect them to make the Joker return anyways. After all if they did add a new one it's highly likely that it wouldn't be as good as Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight.

I don't get this...

The legacy of Joker in Batman is bigger than HL's life, with all due respect. You can't compare a person's life to fictional character's "legacy" but seriously, without Joker, how good a Batman movie would be? Not as good. How good would have "The Dark Knight" been without Joker? Not nearly as good, not even close.

I am just not sure, if "doing nice gesture to HL" would be what HL really wants anyway for Batman fans fully expecting Joker to return.

Don't get me wrong, I love HL's Joker, I don't think anyone can beat his performance but at the same time, doing "nice gesture" to him by eliminating Joker character from Batman is lame...

Without Joker, I'm not gonna be ecstatic about the next Nolan's Batman movie.

• Like 2

I don't get this...

The legacy of Joker in Batman is bigger than HL's life, with all due respect. You can't compare a person's life to fictional character's "legacy" but seriously, without Joker, how good a Batman movie would be? Not as good. How good would have "The Dark Knight" been without Joker? Not nearly as good, not even close.

I am just not sure, if "doing nice gesture to HL" would be what HL really wants anyway for Batman fans fully expecting Joker to return.

Don't get me wrong, I love HL's Joker, I don't think anyone can beat his performance but at the same time, doing "nice gesture" to him by eliminating Joker character from Batman is lame...

I'm sorry but that was about the dumbest thing I've ever read pertaining to why somebody wouldn't be excited about such an awesome franchise reboot.

The Joker was caught at the end of Dark Knight, he's going to Arkham. So what your basically saying is you want another movie about the same thing? Joker escaping Arkham, fleeing Gotham City Police, and playing his games again?

Personally I would like to see Nolan expand the line of Batman villains in his fashion. He's good at giving them all an "edge" that makes it unique. Lot's of people even speculated as if a third installment would even be made. So I don't have a problem with the Joker character not returning for this one.

The Joker shouldn't return. First of all, it would just be weird to see a different actor, especially following up Heath Ledger's performance. Second, even if he was alive, just because the movie was so good doesn't mean the story needs to be retold. Once is just enough. Time to take the films in other, fresh directions.

I don't get this...

+1. That was some very good points.

I don't get this...

I agree.

But I also are with BigDog you really cant have him still be alive/return since it would turn into the same story in the Dark Knight. Yes the Batman movies are a classic but changing it up a little bit would not hurt.

I don't get this...

The Joker not returning has as much to do with the fact that, to put it frankly, it's been done before. TDK gave the Joker the justice the character deserves, and Nolan covered it from top-to-bottom in the context of a Batman movie (a spin-off explaining the Joker's origins would work, though). Much like how musicians like to change creative direction even after they made a hit with their previous song/album, it's the same thing with the movie business. The Joker is considered Batman's best villain by most, but switching to another villain with a totally different story and style will help progress the Nolan Batman universe.

I agree in some respect we should look for "fresh breath of air"/ new enemies. Obviously, the Dark Knight was the beginning of Two Face.

But it's no coincidence why the first one did not come close to the success of the Dark Knight. The Joker is such an exciting enemy, and Nolan allowed HL to portray the Joker as a character who is actually young (I'd always thought the Joker as someone who smiles a lot but pretty grumpy old character) and fresh. In other words, Nolan made it clear his Joker is not about just destroying things because "that's what the Joker does"... but because he's young, smart, unpredictable and brilliant behind that disturbed mind. I think that's what made his Joker exciting.

I hope he can make other enemies as exciting as the Joker then I will have no complaints.

Again, the story doesn't need to be retold just because it was good. The Joker did a fantastic job in the Dark Knight, and let it end that way. If Heath Ledger was still alive and they did decide to bring the Joker back, it would most likely just be for the purpose of making extra money out of the character, which would be the perfect lead up for another bad sequel to a fantastic original movie (or 2nd movie in this case).

Let the story of the Joker end the way it did. No need to bring it back just because it worked so well. Let the batman series explore different directions.

But it's no coincidence why the first one did not come close to the success of the Dark Knight.

Batman Begins didn't come close to the success of TDK for three reasons...

1) Heath Ledger's amazing performance that coincided with his death.

2) TDK was simply a better movie. Not because of the novelty of a better villain, but because of how amazingly well the story was written and developed. TDK was a very deep, complex movie, unlike any other super-hero movie ever. And the reason TDK was so well developed was because...(see #3)

3) As opposed to the first Batman film by Tim Burton in the early '90's where the movie started with Batman being fully developed, Batman Begins made it a point to bring depth and respect to such a character. By tackling Batman's origins and giving him such meaning and realism, it set TDK up to be an epic film.

To go along with #3, TDK's main goal was to further develop the character of Batman. What makes the Nolan Batman so good is not all the gadgets and explosions, but rather all of the serious, more adult ideas the movies dive into. The 3rd film will have Batman further evolving on an emotional and physical (like whatever his new Batmobile will look like) level, and like the Joker whatever new villain they use will just be a tool to give Batman's story depth. Considering how Nolan likes to develop characters and make them more about mind over matter, I fully expect the next villain to be awesome like the Joker was.

Edited by Nitro1118