Gameday Discussion for 6/8/10

Cobb

Can't express to you guys how incredible 14 k's is for a ml debut, that insane. This kid may be one of the greatest pitchers ever when it's all said and done, if not the greatest.

Playing against the Pirates tho don't want to get ahead of myself, basically an all star AAA team lol.

lol, DC is a hockey town still. Ovechkin is the most popular man. :glasses:

Lol.....

I will never forget going to a Capitals-Islanders game 4 years ago when there were only 10,000 people there (and a decent amount were Islander fans).

Things have changed since then if you haven't noticed.

Oh, I've noticed, but I will never be able to think of Washington as a "hockey town" after that experience. Not yet, anyway.

I don't expect you to think that, you don't live in DC...

I don't need to live in a city to recognize a bandwagon fan-base (no offense). If they stay this good for the next decade (looks like they will) and keep drawing well, then they can be called a hockey town. But four years removed from being in the bottom 5 in the league in attendance....definitely not a "hockey town". The Capitals might be the best (and, to go along with that, most popular) team in the city at the moment but I wouldn't say that makes Washington a "hockey town".

And Chicago is even worse with the Blackhawks.

Edited by Phightins

I don't need to live in a city to recognize a bandwagon fan-base (no offense). If they stay this good for the next decade (looks like they will) and keep drawing well, then they can be called a hockey town. But four years removed from being in the bottom 5 in the league in attendance....definitely not a "hockey town". The Capitals might be the best (and, to go along with that, most popular) team in the city at the moment but I wouldn't say that makes Washington a "hockey town".

And Chicago is even worse with the Blackhawks.

I don't think you get it..

1. The Nationals are far from this discussion.

2. The Redskins are a disappointment. Half of the football fans are Steeler fans.

3. The Wizards are considered a joke.

What does that mean? The only successful team the last 3 years has taken over. You're using one instance from a game 4 years ago as the basis of your argument, that has no credibility at all.

I live in the area, I think I'd know.

I don't think you get it..

1. The Nationals are far from this discussion.

2. The Redskins are a disappointment. Half of the football fans are Steeler fans.

3. The Wizards are considered a joke.

What does that mean? The only successful team the last 3 years has taken over. You're using one instance from a game 4 years ago as the basis of your argument, that has no credibility at all.

I live in the area, I think I'd know.

I'm actually not trying to sound like a douche here, but the numbers don't lie. I am not arguing with you about the Capitals being the only relevant team in that city right now (although the Nationals will be joining them at some point in the next 2 years). But, yeah, bottom 10 in the league attendance basically every season of the past decade (including 2008 when they were a playoff team). It's only been the past 2 years (this past year the only year they are averaging a sell out per game) where attendance has picked up. Coincidentally, these past 2 years have also been the time when 4 or 5 guys on that roster have emerged as superstars and the Capitals have emerged as an Eastern Conference power. Again not trying to sound like a dick, but to call Washington a "hockey town" is a bit much IMO.

I'm actually not trying to sound like a douche here, but the numbers don't lie. I am not arguing with you about the Capitals being the only relevant team in that city right now (although the Nationals will be joining them at some point in the next 2 years). But, yeah, bottom 10 in the league attendance basically every season of the past decade (including 2008 when they were a playoff team). It's only been the past 2 years (this past year the only year they are averaging a sell out per game) where attendance has picked up. Coincidentally, these past 2 years have also been the time when 4 or 5 guys on that roster have emerged as superstars and the Capitals have emerged as an Eastern Conference power. Again not trying to sound like a dick, but to call Washington a "hockey town" is a bit much IMO.

So what is it? A football town? Baseball? Basketball? It's one or the other, so choose.

The fact that you think bringing up statistics from 2005 just proves how baseless your argument is. The Capitals are the only relevant team right now in DC. Do you know what that means? Well for one, it means they have the best attendance. It also means they have the most success. If the majority of sports fans like the Caps, what does that tell you?

So what is it? A football town? Baseball? Basketball? It's one or the other, so choose.

The fact that you think bringing up statistics from 2005 just proves how baseless your argument is. The Capitals are the only relevant team right now in DC. Do you know what that means? Well for one, it means they have the best attendance. It also means they have the most success. If the majority of sports fans like the Caps, what does that tell you?

Well, when I think "hockey town" (not considering the 6 Canadian cities, they are obvious), I think Buffalo, Detroit, Philadelphia, New York, and now St. Paul. Probably missing one or two. I think of cities that have sold out basically every game for decades even in the down years (obviously St. Paul isn't really included in that) and with rich hockey tradition/history. I don't think of cities that struggle to even fill half of the building unless they have a dominant team.

I think you are missing my argument. I am not arguing that at the present moment, hockey isn't the biggest thing going sports-wise in Washington. And for the record, I really hope that hockey remains a big deal in Washington for a long time (and I hope it catches on in other cities where it might not be a big deal at the moment).

Edited by Phightins

Well, when I think "hockey town" (not considering the 6 Canadian cities, they are obvious), I think Buffalo, Detroit, Philadelphia, New York, and now St. Paul. Probably missing one or two. I think of cities that have sold out basically every game for decades even in the down years (obviously St. Paul isn't really included in that) and with rich hockey tradition/history. I don't think of cities that struggle to even fill half of the building unless they have a dominant team.

I think you are missing my argument. I am not arguing that at the present moment, hockey isn't the biggest thing going sports-wise in Washington. And for the record, I really hope that hockey remains a big deal in Washington for a long time (and I hope it catches on in other cities where it might not be a big deal at the moment).

You have to start somewhere. This is the beginning of a new age in DC sports, and it's led by the Caps. So for now, I consider it a Hockey Town.

there is a difference between a "hockey town" because the team is good for a few years and a legitimate hockey town. for example toronto. obviously it is a bit different because its in canada, but they were the 2nd worst team in the league this year. they also top 5 in attendance. they go to hockey games to watch hockey, they dont go to games only when their team is good.

if you want to say that DC is starting to turn into a hockey town then i cant argue. but even 2 years ago, 2008, the caps were near the bottom in attendance. you dont go from never selling out to being a strong hockey town in 2 years. right now DC is just following the only relevant team in the city, they are absolutely not a hockey town because of that.

So is basically every team in the NL East. :lol:

Honestly 5 years from the NL East can be the host of the top 5 pitchers in baseball (besides the lincecums and felixs) baseball

Phillies - Hamels

Mets - Pelfrey

Braves - Hanson

Marlins - Johnson

Nationals - Strasburg