Chris Bosh: "I'm not an addition, I'm the center piece"

Poe

We need a big trade at the draft for him to even consider re-signing here. If anything I think this shoots up his chances of going to New York.

EDIT: The only people who thought CB4 was going to Miami were people who believed the bull[expletive] in the Miami Herald, Bosh had a bad game and they thought he was as good as there in their next day edition.

Edited by travesy3

The centerpiece of non-playoff teams and teams who can't win a playoff series? Yeah, this guy has the right attitude.

Exactly, Bosh will never be the centerpiece of a championship team because he's simply not good enough. So do you want to be the man and lose? Or be an addition and win?

I love how he is getting crap for saying that he wants to be the center piece of a team. The guy is a 26 year old 22/10 power forward who is entering into the prime of his career. Sure, he will realistically never be the best player on a championship team, but what do you want him to say? "I'm not good enough to lead a team anywhere so I am going to ride LeBron's or Dwyane's coattails"?

So can somebody explain to me why it is wrong for Bosh to strive to be the best player on a championship team?

Worst case scenario for Bosh is that he is unable to lead a team anywhere and gets traded to a team and provides the KG/Gasol role. How can you hate on a guy for wanting to lead a team to a championship though? Its not like this is some scrub talking or anything like that either as Bosh is a top 15 player in the NBA and arguably top 3 ast his own position.

I don't think that a team with Bosh as the best player will ever win a championship either, but to hate on him for striving to be that player? That is just hilarious. I would much rather have a player who isn't confident in himself. :rolleyes:

Edited by Built Ford Tough
  • Like 1

I think Bosh playing with a second all-star would do wonders, I mean imagine Bosh playing with a Joe Johnson type guy? How can people declare he can't be a good player on a good team when he hasn't even been given the opportunity to do that?

I also doubt he is a championship centerpiece, but how many championship centerpieces are there really in the entire league? Bosh can be a franchise player on a very good team if someone like Dirk can as well.

I love how he is getting crap for saying that he wants to be the center piece of a team. The guy is a 26 year old 22/10 power forward who is entering into the prime of his career. Sure, he will realistically never be the best player on a championship team, but what do you want him to say? "I'm not good enough to lead a team anywhere so I am going to ride LeBron's or Dwyane's coattails"?

So can somebody explain to me why it is wrong for Bosh to strive to be the best player on a championship team?

Worst case scenario for Bosh is that he is unable to lead a team anywhere and gets traded to a team and provides the KG/Gasol role. How can you hate on a guy for wanting to lead a team to a championship though? Its not like this is some scrub talking or anything like that either as Bosh is a top 15 player in the NBA and arguably top 3 ast his own position.

I don't think that a team with Bosh as the best player will ever win a championship either, but to hate on him for striving to be that player? That is just hilarious. I would much rather have a player who isn't confident in himself. :rolleyes:

This.

How many people actually thought that Chauncey Billups and Ben Wallace will win a championship as the core players?

22/10 won't cut it, he also has to be a lock down defender, which he isn't. He isn't as good as KG or Gasol and look at what they had to do. Big men don't win anymore championships they help win championships, and yes it is plausible to hate on him. Would you hate on Derek Fisher next year if he came out and said he wants to be the best player on a championship team? It is wrong for Bosh to strive for that because he has to realize he needs to put his ego aside and do whats best for himself in terms of winning a championship.

I'm sure a lot of people said Paul Pierce couldn't be the centerpiece to a championship team at one point.

Paul Pierce wasn't the center piece of the Celtics "The Big Three" was

22/10 won't cut it, he also has to be a lock down defender, which he isn't. He isn't as good as KG or Gasol and look at what they had to do. Big men don't win anymore championships they help win championships, and yes it is plausible to hate on him. Would you hate on Derek Fisher next year if he came out and said he wants to be the best player on a championship team? It is wrong for Bosh to strive for that because he has to realize he needs to put his ego aside and do whats best for himself in terms of winning a championship.

Derek Fisher never averaged 20 points or a double-double, so yea, we'd all think he's crazy. Chris Bosh is a top 3 PF, so where is the comparison?

Paul Pierce wasn't the center piece of the Celtics "The Big Three" was

Paul Pierce was the Finals MVP, therefor the team's "leader"... the "centerpiece".

Paul Pierce's career numbers: 22 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists average.

Chris Bosh's career numbers: 20 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists average.

You don't think CB4 can lead a great team to a championship?

Paul Pierce was the Finals MVP, therefor the team's "leader"... the "centerpiece".

Boy, that is some doodoo. You said Pierce was the finals MVP, therefore the centerpiece... nah... Tony Parker won finals MVP and we all know who the centerpiece of that Spurs team was.

Then you compare Pierce and Bosh's stats. Well dude, if Bosh has someday the surrounding cast that Pierce had in 08, then he can win a championship definitely, but he won't be looked at as the centerpiece, just like Pierce isn't looked at that way.

Then you compare Pierce and Bosh's stats. Well dude, if Bosh has someday the surrounding cast that Pierce had in 08, then he can win a championship definitely, but he won't be looked at as the centerpiece, just like Pierce isn't looked at that way.

The Celtics built their team around Pierce, therefor he was the center piece. Bring Bosh to a team like the Knicks and he will be the center piece. Perhaps they'll need stronger pieces than centering around a player like Wade or LeBron, but the championship is a team accomplishment after all, yet every good team needs to establish a leader. Bosh is more than capable of leading a great team, he just hasn't had any great teams to lead thus far.

Edited by Poe

Who is to say that Bosh can't improve on his 22/10 averages though? For a large portion of this past season he was averaging 24/12 on 50% shooting. And you don't have to be a lock down defender either, that is bogus. Dirk Nowitzki has led the Mavs to 50 wins for the last decade, and came within 2 games of winning an NBA Championship while being a mediocore defender. Charles Barkley was never known as a great defender and he came within two games of beating the Bulls in 92/93 for an NBA Championship. Pair Bosh up with a good defender at the center position, instead of a liability like Bargnani, and all of a sudden his defense isn't nearly as much of an issue.

Bosh is better than Gasol was during his Memphis days, and the one season when Garnett had a legit supporting cast they won 58 games, made it to the Western Conference Finals and lost in 6 games to a Lakers team that were the favourite to win the NBA Championship until they imploded int he Finals. Give Bosh a team of more than mediocore at best players and I'm sure that he could lead them to more than "missed playoff apperances and 1st round exits".

Again, I'm not saying that Bosh is going to lead a team to a championship. I just think it is laughable that people are basically telling him to give up his dream at only 26 years old. It is like he said in that interview, that wasn't mentioned in this thread,

"I want to hold onto that because I think every kid when they dream about playing basketball, they don't dream about being a role player. They dream about being the man.

This has been his dream since he was a kid and he should give it up at 26 years old? I'm sorry, but I find anybody who hates on somebody for wanting to fufil their lifelong dream completely pathetic.

When you are 26 years old and mention wanting to accomplish your lifelong dream, whatever that may be, and somebody tells you that it is impossible and you should just give up, are you just going to roll over and give up? Or are you going to try and accomplish what you have wanted to do your entire life?

And, lastly, you do realize just how completely retarded your comparision of Derek Fisher to Chris Bosh is right? Their situations aren't even remotely similar.

Chris Bosh is in the prime of his career; Derek Fisher is in the twilight of his career.

Chris Bosh is a top 3 player at his position; Derek Fisher is arguably not even in the top half of his position.

Chris Bosh is a 5 time All-Star; Derek Fisher has never been anywhere close to an All-Star

Chris Bosh is coming off of the best season of his career; Derek Fisher is considered a fringe starter.

Do I need to continue?

Bottom line is that Bosh probably won't ever be able to lead a team to an NBA Championship, but trying and failing to do this would be a hell of a lot better than looking back at his career in 20 years and wondering what if.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner

I would love Bosh in purple and gold, but I don't see anything wrong with his thinking here. That's not me saying I believe he can lead a team to a ring, because I don't think he'd be able to unless he had another 2-3 all-stars by his side, but he's too young to "Gary Payton" his way to an NBA championship.

I'm sorry but do you? Pierce needed 2 very good players by his side to finally win. Even then, he wasn't the clear centerpiece...you could make a good argument for either one of the big three, esp. Garnett since he was the one who anchored that amazing defense.

There isn't anything wrong with what Bosh says...it just makes him look like real cocky.

Only way he'll win a championship is by having a Gasol-like role on the team, cuz, IMO, he'll never win it being the unquestioned number one option on the team.