Should WNBA end and just allow women in the NBA?

reno

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love WNBA, those who've seen my WNBA-NBA player comparison on old OTR would know this... but I wouldn't want to see any woman in NBA. Equality, yes, but it's taking the context the wrong way.

The size, the speed, the power are all different level.

I do think Diana Taurasi can score 30 pts in an NBA game, absolutely... she has lightning quick release she doesn't even have to look/ aim at the rim. She just pulls up as soon as she gets the ball. It's so quick you won't ever reach to block it. Don't believe me? Watch Mercury games. Candace Parker and Tina Charles (Tim Duncan of WNBA) can take stiff defenseless NBA small forwards to school.

But the levels are just different. If they're good enough to play in NBA, let them shine in the women league.

Candace can ball though. She's a less athletic version of Anthony Parker (No relation).

They're actually related (siblings).

1. no woman would be good enough to make it

2. who's gonna foul a woman? basketball is a contact sport, and mixed gender contact sports don't work

3. there would be all sorts of sexual assault claims. imagine a WNBA player posting up Dwight Howard? or Ron Artest playing denial defense against a WNBA player.

Edited by UnoCinco

How about we end the WNBA and still don't let them in the NBA?

lol @ some of these posts, women couldnt make it even in college basketball.

So these are the posts that get repped in this thread? Not the posts that actually take the time to support their claims, but the simple minded ones that prove nothing at all? You've got to be kidding me. I'm willing to bet most of the people saying "lol no way a girl can beat a guy ololol" have never watched a WNBA game in their life. Or maybe the obviously vast amount of knowledge shown in these posts above prove otherwise.

You know, there was once a time Women weren't aloud to wear pants or ride horses. Most men still laugh at the idea of grown women who don't wear make up, high heels, and dresses, and choose to play a sport instead of a career in something more "feminine" like modeling, labeling them lesbians and dikes before understanding them as people. Understanding that these women actually have a goal in life instead of succumbing to the standards preset for them for simply the fact that they are women. There are still some areas in the world that don't allow women to show an inch of skin. It is all out of fear. The simple minded fear of what's different. Different from the culture we grew up with, and the way things are "supposed to be", even though the alternative has no negative affect on our lives. People need to take the time to stop narrowing their vision to what's directly in front of you, and actually look at the overall perspective of things.

I've been around, and played basketball against all kinds of talent. I've seen high school girls beat the [expletive] out of high school guys playing one on one. Guys that are clearly bigger, faster, and stronger than them, yet the girl still beats them like they are nothing. How do they do it? Wit. Deception. Technique. Basketball IQ. The better physical specimen isn't necessarily the better basketball player. Just ask all the NBA players Candace Parker has beaten.

There are already some female basketball players good enough to play in the NBA. We've already talked about Diana Taurasi and Candace Parker, and soon to be Brittney Griner. They have the skill, and the physical tools to last at least 15 minutes a game off the bench and bring an overall positive affect to their team's score. They can do it, but unfortunately, there is already too much controversy in just talking about it for the NBA to allow it. The male ego simply cannot handle it.

So these are the posts that get repped in this thread? Not the posts that actually take the time to support their claims, but the simple minded ones that prove nothing at all? You've got to be kidding me. I'm willing to bet most of the people saying "lol no way a girl can beat a guy ololol" have never watched a WNBA game in their life. Or maybe the obviously vast amount of knowledge shown in these posts above prove otherwise.

You know, there was once a time Women weren't aloud to wear pants or ride horses. Most men still laugh at the idea of grown women who don't wear make up, high heels, and dresses, and choose to play a sport instead of a career in something more "feminine" like modeling, labeling them lesbians and dikes before understanding them as people. Understanding that these women actually have a goal in life instead of succumbing to the standards preset for them for simply the fact that they are women. There are still some areas in the world that don't allow women to show an inch of skin. It is all out of fear. The simple minded fear of what's different. Different from the culture we grew up with, and the way things are "supposed to be", even though the alternative has no negative affect on our lives. People need to take the time to stop narrowing their vision to what's directly in front of you, and actually look at the overall perspective of things.

I've been around, and played basketball against all kinds of talent. I've seen high school girls beat the [expletive] out of high school guys playing one on one. Guys that are clearly bigger, faster, and stronger than them, yet the girl still beats them like they are nothing. How do they do it? Wit. Deception. Technique. Basketball IQ. The better physical specimen isn't necessarily the better basketball player. Just ask all the NBA players Candace Parker has beaten.

There are already some female basketball players good enough to play in the NBA. We've already talked about Diana Taurasi and Candace Parker, and soon to be Brittney Griner. They have the skill, and the physical tools to last at least 15 minutes a game off the bench and bring an overall positive affect to their team's score. They can do it, but unfortunately, there is already too much controversy in just talking about it for the NBA to allow it. The male ego simply cannot handle it.

yeah one on one too bad the nba isnt one on one, that and one on one is so much easier then a real game of ball

also why would candace parker want to come to the nba and play a bench role getting 15 mins when she is the biggest thing in wnba getting all the touches she wants, the spotlight and 30+mins a game?

yeah her brother who is nothing more than a bench 3 point shooter, and probably other bench players

yeah one on one too bad the nba isnt one on one, that and one on one is so much easier then a real game of ball

also why would candace parker want to come to the nba and play a bench role getting 15 mins when she is the biggest thing in wnba getting all the touches she wants, the spotlight and 30+mins a game?

yeah her brother who is nothing more than a bench 3 point shooter, and probably other bench players

If she can beat a player one on one, then she can outdo her match up in a real game.

Also, why would a woman pass the opportunity to be the first female athlete in the NBA? As well as making history, they would also make at least 4x the amount of money just by the minimum salary. It would also ultimately increase the NBA's popularity, since women would be more inclined to watch the NBA if they saw some other women playing, even if it is only a bench role.

And thinking even further ahead, if more women watch basketball, then more women will play it growing up, meaning more female talent. Eventually, there will be a female athletic freak with immense basketball skill, a "shebron" if you will, that will be good enough for a starter's role in the league.

Edited by Poe

If she can beat a player one on one, then she can outdo her match up in a real game.

Also, why would a woman pass the opportunity to be the first female athlete in the NBA? As well as making history, they would also make at least 4x the amount of money just by the minimum salary. It would also ultimately increase the NBA's popularity, since women would be more inclined to watch the NBA if they saw some other women playing, even if it is only a bench role.

And thinking even further ahead, if more women watch basketball, then more women will play it growing up, meaning more female talent. Eventually, there will be a female athletic freak with immense basketball skill, a "shebron" if you will, that will be good enough for a starter's role in the league.

A woman playing in the NBA would be nothing more than a publicity stunt. Candace Parker is a beast in the WNBA at 175 pounds. In the NBA, that's tiny, and every standard foul would send her [expletive] to the ground. Plus, guys would be less willing to guard or foul her, and do you really see her being able to guard anyone in the league?

do u fully believe women would be able to play in the nba? just curious

well i guess thats just me because i would rather a larger role than more money and getting into the record books

when i play a mixed game (doesnt matter the sport) i dont go nearly as hard as i would against other guys especially contact sports and i would bet all other guys do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNtst4VBA_A

imagine if scola was a women.

do u fully believe women would be able to play in the nba? just curious

Yes, but a very very small percentage. Only 3 women in the world at this point, and I've already named them. As more woman grow up with the game, however, there will be more woman capable of playing at that level. Of course, no matter what, the NBA will always be dominated by men. By nature, men are much more physically capable, but that does not mean that the best women basketball player in the world doesn't stand a chance. There are freaks of nature among woman as well.

well i guess thats just me because i would rather a larger role than more money and getting into the record books

So why don't all bench players in the NBA just go play in Europe or China? They'd be stars there, right?

The only reason a woman would refuse an offer for an NBA team is out of respect for the WNBA game. It would hurt its already small popularity if all of its best players winded up playing in the NBA. Still, I'd argue that it didn't stop the NCAA from being popular, nor does it stop the Euroleague or the D League from existing.

when i play a mixed game (doesnt matter the sport) i dont go nearly as hard as i would against other guys especially contact sports and i would bet all other guys do.

My mind set is to play to the best of your abilities no matter the competition. If someone is much worse than you, your goal is to beat them as bad as possible. Unless your just horsing around with your GF or something.

In a league like the NBA, nobody is backing down from anyone. If anything, men will play harder out of fear of getting embarrassed by a girl.

imagine if scola was a women.

Yea, because that is totally legal, and every NBA player would shove a woman to the floor at every chance. What's your point?

So why don't all bench players in the NBA just go play in Europe or China? They'd be stars there, right?

some do, josh childress, Carlos Arroyo, Earl Boykins, Nenad Kerstic, lines Kleiza just to name a few.

Yea, because that is totally legal, and every NBA player would shove a woman to the floor at every chance. What's your point?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJtwowSFoH0&feature=related

okay what about this? what im saying is come playoff time when it matters could you see a guy like Dwight howard sending some 5foot women to the floor so stop a easy basket?

well i showed the scola one and he shot it down, so i picked a less harder one that happens frequently

Oh sorry I'm not trying to disagree with you, a woman would be affected by a Dampier hip check much more than Kobe. I was just talking more about the response by Kobe/the announcers in the video.

some do, josh childress, Carlos Arroyo, Earl Boykins, Nenad Kerstic, lines Kleiza just to name a few.

Very few, but not most, but it's usually for other reasons like having difficulty finding a definitive role in the NBA, so they'll spend a year or two in Europe to gain more playing time before getting signed back by the NBA. Arroyo and Boykins came back to the NBA, and Childress and Kleiza are likely to come back as soon as next year.

okay what about this? what im saying is come playoff time when it matters could you see a guy like Dwight howard sending some 5foot women to the floor so stop a easy basket?

First of all, Taurasi is 6 foot, Parker is 6-4, and Griner is 6-8.

Second of all, you are still giving terrible examples. Sending a woman to the floor is the same as a man. They both go to the free throw line. Your point?

Edited by Poe

Sending a woman to the floor is the same as a man.

No it is not. Well, it is the same action of course, but how a woman's body reacts would be different than a man's. A woman's body is simply not genetically strong as a male's, and they would not be able to take the punishment an NBA player takes over an 82 games season (as opposed to a 36 game WNBA season against far weaker competition from all aspects). I doubt they wouldn't be able to take a few bumps now and then, but they're bodies just wouldn't be able to take the punishment of a full NBA season.

The best WNBA players would have no chance beating the worst NBA players off the dribble and actually be able to finish in the lane. Candace Parker is a WNBA forward but is only 6'4'' and 175lbs...that's the kind of size that most PG's/undersized SG's in the NBA are, and players that size can't finish near the rim even when they are lightning quick (think Brandon Jennings). And for the smaller WNBA players like Taurasi, who don't have NBA speed/size/wingspan? Absolutely 0 chance to be remotely effective on both ends of the floor.

^Except Taurasi though.

Girl launches the ball it's one of the quickest releases I've seen from both sexes. You stick to her and she'll run you to death against screens. The release is so fast you gotta see it to believe it. I don't think she even looks at the rim. Her range is also easily NBA 3 pt range... ball might be smaller, but it's "slightly" I believe if you give her NBA ball, she can still do the same thing... it's what she's used in college where she's basically a legend now.

There was Deanna Nolan (I think she retired this season)... but 2-3 years ago she was athletically the closest to men. She was the Dwyane Wade of WNBA, changing directions at sharp angle at full speed while maintaining full control of her body, pulling up off the dribble at full speed, she'd school most NBA guards, even the good ones. If you could see nothing but her silhouette playing ball, you'd think she's a man (it helps she doesn't have big boobs)... not gruff, big physical woman, but think fast, agile, athletic guard.

No NBA player wants to shove a girl to the ground. How big of a dick would Lebron be if good ole Candance Parker is strolling in for a layup, and this monster comes in and stuffs her and in the process bumps her into the crowd. First off, the ref would call it a foul because it looks brutal, and she could get everyone into foul trouble for no reason. Don't tell me Parker would not be affected by a hit like that, just imagine if its Shaq or Dwight.

Edited by SRV

Oh sorry I'm not trying to disagree with you, a woman would be affected by a Dampier hip check much more than Kobe. I was just talking more about the response by Kobe/the announcers in the video.

oh lol, yeah i didnt agree with JVF either.

First of all, Taurasi is 6 foot, Parker is 6-4, and Griner is 6-8.

Second of all, you are still giving terrible examples. Sending a woman to the floor is the same as a man. They both go to the free throw line. Your point?

your not getting my point. you see a guy in the real world (if you will) push/hit/bump a girl you would knock him out and its totally wrong, whats the difference to a NBA? a guy is still hitting a girl to the ground its morally wrong, you just dont do it. no matter what the situation

• Owner

Dajuan Wagner scored 100 points in a high school game.

So what? I just want you guys to think about how different the NBA is. That's 360-400+ players ONLY, from around the world.

I have no problem watching women's basketball. I think it's great they have a pro league. But real talk, there's not a single woman in the WNBA that would succeed in the NBA. Not one.

Parker, Leslie, Hammon and Taurasi are a few of my favorite WNBA players. They are incredibly talented. However, none of them could go 82 games in the pros, unless they were logging 3-5 minutes a game. You want one of them to play 15-20 minutes? That's risking major injury, and I don't think some of you are looking back at players like Kendrick Perkins, who was injured by another player and his weight coming down on him.

As good as Taurasi is on the perimeter, she would stand no chance against an elite defensive player. The physical play alone (by Deron Williams, for example) would wreck her game, but someone like Jordan Farmar would even lock her up.