Should WNBA end and just allow women in the NBA?

reno

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Also, there's one element which is being overlooked. With regards to shooting and handles, the women in the league all play with a smaller ball to accommodate smaller hands. It would be difficult for many women to shoot as accurately with an NBA ball, and would be extremely difficult to handle, cradle, and protect an NBA-size ball.

There are reasons why most successful basketball players have abnormally large hands. It's been documented that most basketball players have large hands, the way many great pitchers have abnormally large fingers. You have more ways to control the ball with big hands.

It's no surprise that the NBA player with some of the smallest hands in the game is Kwame Brown. Despite a solid defensive work ethic and good athletic measurables, he can't catch, he can't handle, and its hard for him to control his shot with small hands. The same effect would rub down to women in the NBA.

• Owner

Also, there's one element which is being overlooked. With regards to shooting and handles, the women in the league all play with a smaller ball to accommodate smaller hands. It would be difficult for many women to shoot as accurately with an NBA ball, and would be extremely difficult to handle, cradle, and protect an NBA-size ball.

There are reasons why most successful basketball players have abnormally large hands. It's been documented that most basketball players have large hands, the way many great pitchers have abnormally large fingers. You have more ways to control the ball with big hands.

It's no surprise that the NBA player with some of the smallest hands in the game is Kwame Brown. Despite a solid defensive work ethic and good athletic measurables, he can't catch, he can't handle, and its hard for him to control his shot with small hands. The same effect would rub down to women in the NBA.

Good point. Even the weight of the ball would change a woman's range, and her ability to shoot through the course of a full game.

^What's the point, the women basketball in college is still regular size... only when they go to WNBA is the ball smaller (slightly).

But I would agree with women not being able to withstand the physicality of NBA and the grind of 82 games. Other than that, my money is on Taurasi lighting up Farmar for 30 pts. Get her in for one game. Farmar can have the physical and athletic advantage, but most of those are erased with screens and her ridiculous lightning quick release.

^What's the point, the women basketball in college is still regular size... only when they go to WNBA is the ball smaller (slightly).

But I would agree with women not being able to withstand the physicality of NBA and the grind of 82 games. Other than that, my money is on Taurasi lighting up Farmar for 30 pts. Get her in for one game. Farmar can have the physical and athletic advantage, but most of those are erased with screens and her ridiculous lightning quick release.

Women's college basketball also uses a smaller ball.

The ball must measure between 29.5 and 30 inches in circumference, bounce between 49 and 54 inches when dropped from a height of 6 feet, and must weigh between 20 and 22 ounces (567–624 g) for men's competition (size 7), and measure between 28.5 and 29 inches in circumference , bounce between 51 and 56 inches when dropped from a height of 6 feet, and must weigh between 18 and 20 ounces (510–567 g) for women's competition (Size 6).

From Wiki

So if someone has smaller hands, they can't play basketball?

Because they play less games in a shorter season, they can't play a longer one off the bench?

Because women aren't naturally as strong as men, they are bound to get injured every other game, even if it is 15 minutes per game of the bench???

Sorry, but at least in my perspective, I have yet to come across a point that proves that the best woman basketball player in the world cannot at least compete in the NBA off the bloody bench. But since this is all speculation that has yet to be put into practice, I suppose everybody is right and everyone else is wrong. There's no point arguing any further.

So if someone has smaller hands, they can't play basketball?

Because they play less games in a shorter season, they can't play a longer one off the bench?

Because women aren't naturally as strong as men, they are bound to get injured every other game, even if it is 15 minutes per game of the bench???

Sorry, but at least in my perspective, I have yet to come across a point that proves that the best woman basketball player in the world cannot at least compete in the NBA off the bloody bench. But since this is all speculation that has yet to be put into practice, I suppose everybody is right and everyone else is wrong. There's no point arguing any further.

because basketball is a contact sport and you cant play a contact sport between men and women cuz it doesnt work

Because women are physically inferior to men

I lol'ed at that... get outta here with that mess. but back on topic

I do think it should be separate do to separate rules, diff ball and things like that.. but to say its because man is superior to woman is a negative :P

Edited by deestillballin

I lol'ed at that... get outta here with that mess. but back on topic

...really? Women aren't, as far as sports go, physically inferior to men? For a contact sport like basketball?

I get the gender equality idea, but let's be objective here... lol.

...really? Women aren't, as far as sports go, physically inferior to men? For a contact sport like basketball?

I get the gender equality idea, but let's be objective here... lol.

This. Let's be real here, women are definitely physically inferior to men especially when it comes to sports. Its not a shot at women but just being objective as the above poster said.

It's science.

http://richchat.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/ron-burgundy1.jpg

Obviously, as a whole, men are physically superior to women. For whatever reason, having women as child-bearers and men as protectors/hunters is what worked for our survival in our evolution. Alternatively, women do average out a longer lifespan.

That does NOT mean, however, that there can't be a small percentage of women that can compete at a high level of a sport like basketball, which does not rely 100% on strength and physicality. As I repeat over and over again, there are athletic freaks among woman as well.

It would be like saying short people can't make it in the NBA, when there are players like Earl Boykins that managed to do it. Boykins has a size disadvantage, and women have a natural physical disadvantage. There will always be 100x more men in the NBA, but on rare occasions, there will be a woman who is a freak of nature athletically for a female and has mad basketball skills that will be good enough for the NBA, if she doesn't already exist in Taurasi and Parker.

Edited by Poe

• Owner

Boykins has a size disadvantage

And he can bench 315 pounds.

Strength isn't even the sole issue. Kevin Durant is one of the weakest players in the NBA, yet he would drop 70 points (no joke) on Candace Parker.

Honestly, what would Taurasi do against Shannon Brown on a fast break? She would stand there and watch.

Brown isn't even garbage time. Let's go DJ Mbenga. What girl can box him out effectively, and pull down a board with him in the vicinity?

The fact is, this isn't one-on-one chess. You stick a woman out there, and coaches start planning against her. If Taurasi (who is one of the best players in the WNBA) is out there having to defend someone like, say, Tierre Brown (who would score on her, by the way), a coach would stick a post guard out there instead, and have him dominate until the opposition pulls her.

Ever think about some of Perkins' illegal screens? Him and Garnett lay out some of the thickest, strongest guards in the league with them. Would it be just some "known rule" to keep your women players on the bench when you play Boston?

It would never, ever, ever work. It's not even something to think about, in my opinion. Yes, there are women that can ball much better than men...but physically, athletically, it's out of the question.

• Like 1

And he can bench 315 pounds.

Nolan can run, Taurasi can shoot, and Parker has size and quickness.

On the break, perhaps Taurasi can draw a charge. Offensively, she can use her creativity to create a basket for herself or a teammate.

If coaches are so keen to post up guards that are smaller, then why doesn't every coach post up JJ Barrea? Besides, if Taurasi is having trouble defensively one on one, there are double teams and zones that can make up for it, and she can use her awareness to finesse her way through screens.

Her strengths offensively, including court awareness, shooting ability, passing ability, overall creativity, plus being a smart help defender, all of these things would create a positive impact on the floor, even if she is a woman playing at the NBA level. And I'm only talking about 15 minutes per game off the bench, too.

And perhaps there are match ups where coaches may find difficulty finding a place for her in the rotation. Nate Robinson hardly played a second against the Heat, yet got quite a bit of playing time against the Lakers. That is part of the reason why I'm suggesting her as a bench player. The offensive spark she could potentially bring would be a benefit to many teams, even if she can't be used in all match up scenarios.

Edited by Poe

Nolan can run, Taurasi can shoot, and Parker has size and quickness.

On the break, perhaps Taurasi can draw a charge. Offensively, she can use her creativity to create a basket for herself or a teammate.

If coaches are so keen to post up guards that are smaller, then why doesn't every coach post up JJ Barrea? Besides, if Taurasi is having trouble defensively one on one, there are double teams and zones that can make up for it, and she can use her awareness to finesse her way through screens.

Her strengths offensively, including court awareness, shooting ability, passing ability, overall creativity, plus being a smart help defender, all of these things would create a positive impact on the floor, even if she is a woman playing at the NBA level. And I'm only talking about 15 minutes per game off the bench, too.

And perhaps there are match ups where coaches may find difficulty finding a place for her in the rotation. Nate Robinson hardly played a second against the Heat, yet got quite a bit of playing time against the Lakers. That is part of the reason why I'm suggesting her as a bench player. The offensive spark she could potentially bring would be a benefit to many teams, even if she can't be used in all match up scenarios.

How tall is Parker, 6-4? She's fairly quick, but would she be quicker than say, Deron Williams? And does she have the muscle mass to take the beatings the NBA offers?

Every coach does post Barrea if they have a guard comfortable in the post. Do you remember this year's Denver-Utah series? 80% of the time Williams would just come down, make a trigger pass, UCLA cut to the post and destroy Ty Lawson on the block. His shooting % with Lawson guarding him must've been about 75%.

Lawson makes up for it by being super quick on offense. Are Taurasi and crew faster and shiftier than Lawson?

I'm not trying to hate either. Should the woman come along who is such an athletic and physical freak with the mentality to survive some of the abuse she'd take in the league she should absolutely be allowed to compete in the NBA. From what I've seen, that woman doesn't exist yet. If she did, she'd probably average LeBro-plus type numbers in the WNBA.

• Owner

I've seen charges are drawn to stop a break plenty of times. But if "haha" is all you have to say, then I guess this discussion is over.

A Shannon Brown would actually jump over Taurasi, but assuming she took a charge and there was contact, it would be a Ricky Davis/Steve Nash moment, and I'm pretty sure Taurasi would get hurt.

It's nice to see guys sticking up for women and showing interest in the WNBA, but it only goes so far. The discussion was over long before it started, or else women in the NBA would've been a possibility by now. Basketball has been a sport for over a century, and the NBA has been around for a half a century.

It won't happen, and that's a fantastic thing.

A Shannon Brown would actually jump over Taurasi, but assuming she took a charge and there was contact, it would be a Ricky Davis/Steve Nash moment, and I'm pretty sure Taurasi would get hurt.

It's nice to see guys sticking up for women and showing interest in the WNBA, but it only goes so far. The discussion was over long before it started, or else women in the NBA would've been a possibility by now. Basketball has been a sport for over a century, and the NBA has been around for a half a century.

It won't happen, and that's a fantastic thing.

I've drawn charges on guys 60+ pounds heavier than me (I'm a 6 foot, 170 pound guard). If you do it right, you won't get hurt.

And Woman in the NBA IS a possibility, or else David Stern would not have acknowledged it.

How tall is Parker, 6-4? She's fairly quick, but would she be quicker than say, Deron Williams? And does she have the muscle mass to take the beatings the NBA offers?

Every coach does post Barrea if they have a guard comfortable in the post. Do you remember this year's Denver-Utah series? 80% of the time Williams would just come down, make a trigger pass, UCLA cut to the post and destroy Ty Lawson on the block. His shooting % with Lawson guarding him must've been about 75%.

Lawson makes up for it by being super quick on offense. Are Taurasi and crew faster and shiftier than Lawson?

I'm not trying to hate either. Should the woman come along who is such an athletic and physical freak with the mentality to survive some of the abuse she'd take in the league she should absolutely be allowed to compete in the NBA. From what I've seen, that woman doesn't exist yet. If she did, she'd probably average LeBro-plus type numbers in the WNBA.

I'm not blaming anyone for "hating" unless they are simple minded comments that don't take the time to back their [expletive] up (not you or RD). I'm not arguing for the sake of "sticking up for women", either. I truly believe that there are a few women that exist that could possibly play off the bench at the NBA level.

And again, there are certain match ups certain players have difficulty with. It's part of the reason why Earl Boykins, Ty Lawson, and Nate Robinson come off the bench, and so would Taurasi and Parker. When the match ups permit it, they can come off the bench, provide a spark, and contribute positively.

Edited by Poe