Bucks Trade For Maggette

Doc

• Owner

On paper, the Bucks look good. I'm not so sure how that's going to translate into actual teamwork, though. When Maggette isn't getting to the foul line, he's worthless...and to do that, he has to have the ball and create his own shot.

And if this was made to replace Salmons, it's not going to work.

Guest STL10

On paper, the Bucks look good. I'm not so sure how that's going to translate into actual teamwork, though. When Maggette isn't getting to the foul line, he's worthless...and to do that, he has to have the ball and create his own shot.

And if this was made to replace Salmons, it's not going to work.

You're exactly right. I think the Bucks admitted defeat knowing Salmons is gone. IMO Salmons is one of the smoothest players in the NBA, and would be a great fit on the Warriors.

The Bucks also got the 44th pick in the draft (the pick that they acquired from Portland for $2M) in this trade as well.

I don't know if I really like this trade for the Bucks. Maggette is basically useless without the ball in his hands, like Brandon said. He isn't a good shooter and doesn't move well without the ball. When he does have the ball in his hands, you can pretty much guarantee that he will be putting up a shot as he is a huge blackhole. He doesn't create plays for others or anything like that. The one thing that he is great at is getting to the line though.

The thing is, how often will Maggette have the ball in his hands in Milwuakee with Jennings and Bogut on the team? It is pretty clear that the Bucks will run their offense through these two and they will be their primary focus on the offensive end. They are going to have to find a way to incorperate Maggette into the offense without disrupting their flow, which I think will be tough to do.

Should be interesting seeing how Maggette reacts to Scott Skiles dictatorship coaching style though. I can either see this working out really well and Skiles does a good job of changing Maggette, or it will be result in some very entertaining clashes. Either way, it should be fun.

As for Golden State, it is pretty clear why they do this. They dump Maggette's contract and correct the mistake of signing him in the first place. This gives more touches to Curry and Ellis next season and gets rid of a contract, and player, that did not fit into their long term plan at all. I think they save about $15M or so.

• Owner

If Maggette was a shooter, it would be different. We all saw how well (jokes) Brandon Jennings can shoot the ball at times, and Bogut is a post big, so you're asking your three top scorers to play at the rim, two slashers and one post.

John Salmons was the perfect ingredient for the Bucks because he wasn't a one-dimensional player for them. He didn't hesitate to shoot the ball.

I just don't like it.

Guest STL10

If Maggette was a shooter, it would be different. We all saw how well (jokes) Brandon Jennings can shoot the ball at times, and Bogut is a post big, so you're asking your three top scorers to play at the rim, two slashers and one post.

John Salmons was the perfect ingredient for the Bucks because he wasn't a one-dimensional player for them. He didn't hesitate to shoot the ball.

I just don't like it.

Maggette averaged 19.8 PPG last year in 29.8 minutes. He had 5.3 RPG and got to the line 7.9 times a game. I think he will be alright as a Buck.

To score that high, he needed the ball to effective. When each Warrior started to go down with injuries, his numbers started to raise with more chances with the ball. He isn't the best defender, a ok shot, and is just horrible off the ball. I think his rebound numbers were higher than usual because on the Warriors there really isn't anyone to rebound.

Also with a more controlled game, not like the shoot whatever you feel like system with Nelson. It conflicts with Maggette style of game. Unless Maggette changes his game to be more effective and more of a slasher and move without the ball. I can't see him and Jennings working, as they both shoot the ball pretty poorly.

Guest STL10

To score that high, he needed the ball to effective. When each Warrior started to go down with injuries, his numbers started to raise with more chances with the ball. He isn't the best defender, a ok shot, and is just horrible off the ball. I think his rebound numbers were higher than usual because on the Warriors there really isn't anyone to rebound.

Also with a more controlled game, not like the shoot whatever you feel like system with Nelson. It conflicts with Maggette style of game. Unless Maggette changes his game to be more effective and more of a slasher and move without the ball. I can't see him and Jennings working, as they both shoot the ball pretty poorly.

I see Maggette averaging 16 PPG next year.

That's easy to say. But if you look at what hes coming into, a 3rd option behide Jennings and Bogut(if he is healthy in time) and a coach that does not a lot any nonsense. He is going to be in more of a construct system and he won't be used to being held back and looking for the best shot, not his shot. Maggette will always be a chucker and a me shoot first person. There won't be enough shots around for him to keep his usual scoring average up. Not until he adjusts.

The one thing Maggette will do without the ball is duck into the box and punish his defender into fouling him. Only men can handle him on those weak-side cuts, not boys. Milwaukee was awful at scoring around the basket last year, and has no finishers outside of Bogut. Maggette gives them some muscle power.

Since I'm assuming Salmons is also gone, the Bucks lose spacing though. There aren't a lot of shooters on the team, or even iso scorers. Teams can really sag against the Bucks unless Redd comes back midseason in shooting form.

Skiles will probably run sets to take advantage of Maggette on the block, and I don't think there will be a huge problem since Jennings will find him on his cuts and since Skiles has the personality to make sure Maggette doesn't dog it. It's a risk though since Stackhouse is washed up, Redd is out, Bell and Salmons are out the door, and Carlos Delfino isn't exactly Mitch Richmond. There aren't many offensive weapons at the wing beyond Uh-Oh-Maggetteos.

Assuming Salmon's is gone for sure, I don't mind this for the Bucks. I understand he's not the ideal player to add from a chemistry/balance standpoint, but without Salmons they desperately need a wing player that can create his own shot and score. Maggette certainly gives them that.

The success of this trade will be determined by Michael Redd's health IMO. If he's healthy, the Bucks will have someone that can space the floor and unclog the lane for Maggette and Bogut. They would actually have a pretty dangerous starting lineup offensively, and Scott Skiles will find a way to make Maggette at least a solid body on defense. But if Redd's not healthy, this trade won't mean much for the Bucks.

Redd and Maggette on the same team, with Jennings running point? Oh God.

Redd is probably done as a Buck. Even if he makes a second miraculous recovery he won't be very productive. Before he was injured again last year he played in 18 games, managing to chuck up a whopping 213 shots while only hitting 35% of those. He averaged nearly 10 ppg less than his career averages.

At this point Redd is just someone to take up space. He's not a productive player and will not be any team's savior.

• 3 months later...