Wolves Determined To Trade Jefferson

Guest STL10

Guest STL10

The Wolves appear determined to trade Al Jefferson.

Minnesota had been discussing making a trade of Jefferson for Zach Randolph, but talks are currently dead.

Randolph has one year remaining on his contract and Minnesota would possibly waive him.

However, the most consistent thing I'm hearing is that the team appears to be determined to move Al Jefferson. According to sources the Wolves have offered him to Detroit for Tayshaun Prince this week and have also contacted the Pacers about their interest in Jefferson for Troy Murphy's expiring contract.

However, the latest thing I'm hearing out of Minnesota may have the most legs. Sources have told me that the Wolves and Grizzlies have been discussing a swap that would send Jefferson to the Grizzlies for Zach Randolph. The deal would allow the Wolves to save a lot of money over time. Randolph has one year, $17.6 million left on his contract. Jefferson has three years, $42 million left.

According to sources, Randolph's ongoing legal problems aren't an impediment to Minnesota, which is doing the trade in an effort to get out of Jefferson's deal and free up more playing time for Kevin Love and potentially Derrick Favors if he falls to them with the No. 4 pick. It's possible the Wolves could either waive Randolph or use his expiring contract to make another trade.

Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace is a Jefferson fan going back to his days with the Celtics. While Jefferson is a bit overpaid and is just a year removed from knee surgery, he still is a dominant presence in the post.

While sources stressed that the two sides were still just discussing the deal, one source sounded optimistic that it could actually happen. There's also a possibility that picks could be involved. The Wolves have been trying to swap the 16th pick for the Grizzlies 12th pick.

--Chad Ford

LINK

LINK #2

Edited by STL10

• Owner

Okay, now THAT would be ridiculous...waiving Randolph (or whoever you get for Jefferson).

But one thing is for sure: trading Jefferson (if true) means that they will be picking Favors or Cousins.

Guest STL10

Okay, now THAT would be ridiculous...waiving Randolph (or whoever you get for Jefferson).

But one thing is for sure: trading Jefferson (if true) means that they will be picking Favors or Cousins.

+1

Lol this is getting ridiculous, people on here would run the Wolves better than those idiots are.

I think its a case of there being too many rumors out there and 'insiders' like Chad Ford are getting them jumbled (see the Flynn for #10 rumor). We will see what they actually do tomorrow night.

Guest STL10

I think its a case of there being too many rumors out there and 'insiders' like Chad Ford are getting them jumbled (see the Flynn for #10 rumor). We will see what they actually do tomorrow night.

Most active draft ever this year IMO.

Eh. I know Jefferson has a big contract, and has had his fair share of injuries, but the dude is still only 25 years old. He's an annual 20/10 player with some of the best post moves in the league. I know he's pretty horrible on defense, but trading him away would be a mistake unless they got a deal they absolutely couldn't refuse. Also, you traded KEVIN GARNETT in his prime (tail-end, anyway) to get this guy...by conceding defeat in that trade after one down season, I don't know. I just think it'd be a mistake.

Eh. I know Jefferson has a big contract, and has had his fair share of injuries, but the dude is still only 25 years old. He's an annual 20/10 player with some of the best post moves in the league. I know he's pretty horrible on defense, but trading him away would be a mistake unless they got a deal they absolutely couldn't refuse. Also, you traded KEVIN GARNETT in his prime (tail-end, anyway) to get this guy...by conceding defeat in that trade after one down season, I don't know. I just think it'd be a mistake.

My biggest qualm with the proposal isn't even that they're giving up on AJ. I think most people have come to the conclusion that Jefferson and Love can't work together, especially on defense. I'd like the Wolves to go after a more athletic center who can defend screens and block shots for example---not Zach Randolph who is in many, many ways an older version of Jefferson, except with range. Why trade a 25 year old for an older version of the same player, when your goal is to improve for the future?

There are very few angles you can take where Jefferson for Randolph makes sense. Even from Memphis' perspective, why would Memphis make the trade when Z-Bo's attitude shift helped the Grizzlies almost make the postseason? Their own biggest problem is defense, but they're a dangerous offensive team. What would trading for Jefferson accomplish?

Name one, except for his knee injury.

Edited by Lone Wolf

Name one, except for his knee injury.

Well tearing an ACL is a major issue, and last year he clearly was not quite himself. Aside from his ACL tear, he also tore a miniscus in that same knee when he was with Boston, and had some ankle problems as well.

The main reason I said that was because half his 6 season career he hasn't played in more than 70 games. Add in a torn ACL, and he's somewhat of a risk. I do believe that because of that risk, and last year's struggles will severely hurt his trade value, and unless you get the right deal it'd be a major mistake to just kind of give him away.

Edited by Nitro1118

Well tearing an ACL is a major issue, and last year he clearly was not quite himself. Aside from his ACL tear, he also tore a miniscus in that same knee when he was with Boston, and had some ankle problems as well.

The main reason I said that was because half his 6 season career he hasn't played in more than 70 games. Add in a torn ACL, and he's somewhat of a risk. I do believe that because of that risk, and last year's struggles will severely hurt his trade value, and unless you get the right deal it'd be a major mistake to just kind of give him away.

It was a major issue. He's back from it. He was himself in the last quarter of the season.

It was a major issue. He's back from it. He was himself in the last quarter of the season.

In March/April he averaged 17.2PPG and 9.0RPG. It's even worse if you look at his February. In no month did he crack 20PPG.

Definately not the 23/11 he was producing in '08-'09.

Different coach, different system, different team mates. I was just happy how he produced offensively during the last few months of the season.

At least it was better than February, right? It shows his progression..

Edited by Lone Wolf